PDA

View Full Version : Flying V Electric Scrapolin

BluesPreacher
Feb-05-2018, 11:18am
164654 My just-finished Flying V (Solid Body) Electric Scrapolin. Glued-together wood scraps, neck from an old mando (painted by my daughter), tuners cobbled together from Lord knows what, humbucking pickup, volume knob and plate from my dad's old Coleman camp stove. Sounds good, if a little less nasty/loud than I expected. I'll futz with the height of the pickup to see if I can't improve it. But sounds good nonetheless. And--I built it, dammit, and I finally have a solid-body 8-string electric flying V mando!

Jim Garber
Feb-05-2018, 12:49pm
I love your ingenuity and I love the name. Better trademark it!

lenf12
Feb-06-2018, 6:27pm
Too cool I love the paint job. You deserve a nasty sounding fuzz machine stomp box for your efforts :grin:

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Chief
Feb-06-2018, 7:19pm
I want one!!!!!!! Are you making them for the public? Totally awesome Preacher man.

darrylicshon
Feb-06-2018, 7:37pm
Very nice, I have a flying V mandolin and an octave 5 string flying V,

BluesPreacher
Feb-07-2018, 10:19am
I want one!!!!!!! Are you making them for the public? Totally awesome Preacher man.

Thank you so much! For the public? Umm...well, I hadn't thought of that. Let me think on it. The neck and tuners are definitely a one-off, literally: one off my old defunct mandolin. But...maybe...as I said, let me think on it.

Joel Glassman
Feb-11-2018, 8:11pm
Congratulations for making an instrument. A few suggestions...
Try angling the pickup so the G string side is closer to the bridge
and the E string is closer to the nut. Opposite to how you have it now.
I think it will improve the tone. Also, the bridge [IMO] should be
parallel to the frets. This is a standard stringed instrument thing,
otherwise strings are binding at an angle in the slot. Could affect
tuning, and I believe it would affect intonation.
If that's a metal bridge, try replacing it with a wood bridge. Might
sound better.