PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass instructional material...?

Walter
Mar-10-2004, 5:59pm
Has anyone used a book/CD package titled: "Bluegrass Mandolin Solos That Every Parking Lot Picker Should Know" by Steve Kaufman http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

I'm considering purchasing this package, but $60 seems like a lot. #Is it worth the $$ ? #What material is covered?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

levin4now
Mar-15-2004, 5:06pm
Walter,

I do not have that series, but a two of his other sets (Flatpickin Gospels, and Christmas for Mando) and I love em both.
At least this bumps this topic.

Someone here ought to have it!

Clyde Clevenger
Mar-15-2004, 9:52pm
I have the Steve Kaufman Parking Lot book for mandolin and it is excellent, I use it several times a week for teaching.
It's not really my style, but most of my students want to play a more "mainstream" style than I play. I play mostly double stops, down strokes and whacka, whacka, whacka. If I ever learn that third lick I'll be dangerous.

Bruce Evans
Mar-16-2004, 7:36am
It's good material. Steve's a good teacher and he writes good arrangements. I agree they seem expensive, but compare the cost of the material to what you would get out of two $30/hour lessons from a teacher. I've used them for guitar and mando.

You can see what songs are covered at www.homespuntapes.com

jcs271
Mar-16-2004, 10:38am
Take a look at his "4 Hour Bluegrass Workout" its 50 songs on 4 cd's. Most of the titles are the exact same but it is $10-15 cheaper (go figure). I have it and it is very helpful.

KYGirl
Mar-16-2004, 4:02pm
I suggest the "4 Hour Bluegrass Workout" too! #It is my bible of standard fiddle tunes, and has been extremely helpful in my playing. #Steve is a great teacher.

Michelle

Walter
Mar-16-2004, 5:21pm
Thanks. #Your I'm going to take your recomendation and purchase the "4 Hour Workout". #I checked out on the web site, and it appears to be a better fit for me.

250sc
Mar-17-2004, 12:22pm
The 'Parking lot' mando course has three arangements of each song. Each arangment is a little more difficult than the previous.

The Bluegrass workout only has a single arangment (melody) of each song but the band plays the song 2 more times without the melody so you can play it.

There both well done. I agree that the 'Parking Lot' course doesn't use double stops much, if at all, in the arangments.

Pneugrass
Mar-25-2004, 8:15pm
I'll be going to his Mandolin Kamp this June. For $675.00 for an entire week plus room and meals and instruction you can't beat that! I think we all should sign up and take over the camp for a week!

G'DAE
Mar-26-2004, 3:46pm
Has anyone used the "Murphy Method"? Learn to play by ear??

Mando4Life
Mar-26-2004, 8:42pm
The 4-hr bluegrass workout is great. All the popular tunes and more....plus they are relatively straight-forward so you can vary them if you want..