PDA

View Full Version : New Ratliff Country Boy

Loubrava
Jan-30-2018, 8:04pm
Hi there, just thought I'd post a pic or 2 of my brand new Ratliff CB. I added a some upgrades which took the price up to about 2K. It has radius ebony fret board, EVO gold frets medium, James tail piece, and triple bound top I also got to pick the custom color & K&K internal pick ups. It has what think is a really cool looking on piece back, curly maple sides & neck with spruce top. Sound wise about the only way I can compare it is to what I've owned. I think it's somewhere between the Weber Bitteroot and a 2002 F9 if that makes any sense. It's a balanced tone not as deep as the Weber and not as Dry as the Gibson volume wise it's real close to the Weber but not quite as loud. It plays great neck is a little thicker than on the Weber but it's not something I won't get used to.

MontanaMatt
Jan-30-2018, 10:49pm
Congratulations Lou,
It looks great! Happy pickin
I’m at 8 mo. Post acquisition, and loving my Ratliff more every week. It’s fun to hear a fine new instrument break in and come to life!
What is the top wood?
Are those waverlys?
I agree, it’s a nice back! I love how he matched the ribs into the back quilt.
Audey is a Master.
Shred on

Frankdolin
Jan-31-2018, 6:21am
Enjoy Lou and happy pickin':mandosmiley:

Loubrava
Jan-31-2018, 10:00am
Congratulations Lou,
It looks great! Happy pickin
I’m at 8 mo. Post acquisition, and loving my Ratliff more every week. It’s fun to hear a fine new instrument break in and come to life!
What is the top wood?
Are those waverlys?
I agree, it’s a nice back! I love how he matched the ribs into the back quilt.
Audey is a Master.
Shred on

No Waverlys, goal was to get a new well built nice sounding/playing F style with K&K pu wide nut for under $1800.00 so tuners & bridge are what Audey uses without up charge. After we got this started I added a few upgrades. It was cool experience getting it built Audey is great to deal with and built me a real nice instrument. The top wood is Sika spruce. I’ve heard about how a new mandolin will break in or open up after some playing time I’ve never owned a brand new one how would you describe the change ?

Ky Slim
Jan-31-2018, 10:24am
Great looking mandolin! I played a used standard specs F-style Country Boy recently. Such a great value. Lots of mandolin for the price. If I'd had more funds at the the time I'd have that mandolin no doubt

Willie Poole
Jan-31-2018, 12:48pm
I love that color...I had Audie build me a mandolin but I never asked for any upgrades, I should have asked for one of that color, I do have another F-5L copy that is that color though which I did asked to be done that way...

Ratliff`s are good mandolins and as time goes by you will even enjoy it more...

Willie

MontanaMatt
Jan-31-2018, 3:57pm
...I’ve heard about how a new mandolin will break in or open up after some playing time I’ve never owned a brand new one how would you describe the change ?
I’ve had two brand new mandolins, one a Weber with a cedar top, ten years ago. That mandolin took several years to change...what I noticed was a greater amount of headroom, meaning total amount of volume available without there being a sense of running out of sound or sound quality. It sounded crisp and tight at the start. Now it rings and has great sustain.
My new Ratliff was born last May. When I got it I was impressed right off, with its woody depth and rich overtones. But over the last 3/4 year it has gained in volume and how much (or little) energy it takes to produce that volume, seeming to become more efficient. It has also gain sustain and note overtones.

I know some attribute this to magical thinking, but I find myself to be pragmatic and critical, so I hope my senses haven’t been deceived by wishful thinking :redface: