PDA

View Full Version : c1913 Lyon & Healy College Line Monster Bass Guitar G2089

gweetarpicker
Jan-19-2018, 4:10pm
This week’s unusual instrument is a circa 1913 Lyon & Healy College Line Monster Bass Guitar G2089. With a 22 ½” lower bout, it is one of the largest flattop guitars ever produced. It has a typical guitar scale length so was likely intended to be tuned as a standard guitar though I tend to tune it down one or two steps. The Monster Bass was also available as a harp guitar with an extra non-fretted six string neck.

www.vintagefrettedinstruments.com

https://youtu.be/hI9-nZ1GpAM

F-2 Dave
Jan-19-2018, 5:23pm
Very cool. Love the sound. Any idea how many of those were produced?

gweetarpicker
Jan-20-2018, 1:41am
i don't know how many were made though they seem pretty rare. I have seen one other in person and photos of a couple others. The old catalog says they were made to order.

William Smith
Jan-20-2018, 6:05am
Awesome, I have to ask, do you have a music store or are these your rare toys/ donations to show off? Very neat instruments!

Tavy
Jan-20-2018, 11:43am
Nice picking! And a great sound from that guitar too - maybe surprisingly so given how far outside the usual design envelope that one is :)

gweetarpicker
Jan-24-2018, 4:09pm
Some photos too...

bbcee
Jan-26-2018, 4:29am
OMG, the back & sides are astounding! Thanks for these posts.

Grommet
Jan-30-2018, 12:47pm
Great picking and a pretty unique instrument. Thank you for this entertaining series!

Scott

gweetarpicker
Jan-30-2018, 1:40pm
Nice picking! And a great sound from that guitar too - maybe surprisingly so given how far outside the usual design envelope that one is :)

I actually measured the frequency response of the Monster Bass, and with the giant body, the lowest significant peak on its frequency response curve is actually below the pitch of a standard low E string which is not typical for a guitar. I think that is one of the reasons it sounds so good tuned down a step or two.