PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin work bench hack

Zach Wilson
Jan-11-2018, 12:52am
As my daughter's get older my wife has be going through all the "baby things". Some un-used things she will sell, although she would rather give away to expecting mothers, which is mostly what she does. Other, more precious, things we box up and keep.

She was going to give away the baby changing mat but the expecting mom already had one. So in the mean time while deciding what to do with it I came up with this great idea. Works pretty good! 🤓

It's my new string changing mat!

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-11-2018, 4:17am
Hi Zach - I use a double bed & a pillow !!. Sort of a super sized version of your set up. Sometimes even a double bed seems small - i've had a mandolin slip off a couple of times - but that's just me !,
Ivan:grin:

Ray(T)
Jan-11-2018, 4:29am
Just make sure you count the snipped off string ends Ivan!!!

Mandoplumb
Jan-11-2018, 6:02am
All good ideas. I just sit on the couch with mandolin on my lap.

UsuallyPickin
Jan-11-2018, 9:02am
I went with a shooters rest a piece of carpet padding and an old bath mat.

JeffD
Jan-11-2018, 11:30am
It's my new string changing mat!

Do you have the string changing table to go with it?

Zach Wilson
Jan-11-2018, 12:26pm
Do you have the string changing table to go with it?

I do.... I thought about using it too (the shelf storage would be nice to hold tools, cases, rags... also it would be a bit taller- nice for my back) but didn't want to haul it downstairs by myself with the kiddos already asleep in what was the nursery. I do most of my string changing at night when things have quieted down a bit and then test the new strings at full volume the next morning.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-12-2018, 5:03am
From Ray - " Just make sure you count the snipped off string ends Ivan !!! '' . Too right mate !!. I've never left one on the bed,but i did drop one onto the carpet once, & my habit of walking around in my stocking feet brought about a very painful accident.
I got a 2" length of "A" string firmy & deeply stuck in the side of my foot. I usually put old strings & my 'cut offs' in the mandolin case,but i must have pulled one out & dropped it when i took them to the litter bin. I've not done it since - those strings are SHARP !,
Ivan:redface:

William Smith
Jan-12-2018, 6:01am
Ivan that would hurt! Any foot injury is not fun, I've broke toes and man that hurts! No mando content but an old shirt tail relation was down at the lake and there are the cement break barriers so the water don't erode too much of the bank and he was on his butt scooching down to the water and slipped and well his extra long toenails on both big toes caught and well pulled em straight up in the air-He was in serious pain and I'm cringing just thinking about it again.

Ray(T)
Jan-12-2018, 8:03am
Ivan - Ouch! The cat loves strings; cut off or not, so I try to change mine whilst he's asleep.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-12-2018, 8:22am
Hi Ray - Our cat Russell watches every step while i change strings. He's fascinated by the strings. I think it's the light reflected from them that gets him. Cats are pretty short sighted,but they pick up light 6 times better than humans do. I'd just finished re-stringing my Lebeda mandolin,hence the chair in the pic.

Bluegrasser - That little tale made my eyes water !!!. Recent findings are that ''swearing'' after hurting yourself,can help to relieve pain,so i did it - a LOT !!!!!. Not really - i was too busy yelping !, :grin:
Ivan;)