PDA

View Full Version : What am I and what can you tell me about me

PeggieL
Jan-09-2018, 10:20am
I am attempting to upload a few pictures of an instruument I was told was a bowl mandolin. I puicked it up on a whim as I just fell in love with the looks. Hopefully all the pictures will upload so someone can help me out on where to find tuning/playing info. The label says Alfredo Primivera and I found a label online but it had an email address this one does not so I assume made before email ;). The picture on it appears to be a man and woman dancing. Thanks for any info!

Ron McMillan
Jan-09-2018, 10:50am
Youtube is your friend. Put 'mandolin basics' or 'tuning a mandolin' into the search engine, and away you go.

ron

PeggieL
Jan-09-2018, 10:59am
I have tried that but I get nothing that looks like this so do not know if it is the same as a normal mandolin or not. I have not seen one with that bowl under it like this has. Would also like to know any history of this shape etc as a bonus.:)

Seter
Jan-09-2018, 11:03am
If you could upload a picture of the headstock with the tuning gears that would be nice. It looks like a fairly standard bowlback mandolin, it should do well for you as long as it is properly set up and the neck is in good condition. It will be tuned GDAE from the thickest strings to lightest strings. If the strings are rusty you'll want to get new ones, it will help the sound immensely.

PeggieL
Jan-09-2018, 11:13am
Thank You. Here is front and back:163861163862

Seter
Jan-09-2018, 11:15am
Here is a good video made by another Cafe member on how to hold a bowlback, good to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnUGKXjWJE&t=1s

Jeff Mando
Jan-09-2018, 11:23am
The label says Alfredo Primivera .....

That's what I usually order at Olive Garden....................:grin:

MikeEdgerton
Jan-09-2018, 11:30am
You have what appears to be a fairly recent bowlback mandolin (or possibly a mandola depending on the scale length) that was made in Italy or at least the label says it was. That doesn't look like Primivera on the label. Are you sure that's what it says? I doubt it's much older than the early 80's or so.

DavidKOS
Jan-09-2018, 11:30am
I have tried that but I get nothing that looks like this so do not know if it is the same as a normal mandolin or not. I have not seen one with that bowl under it like this has. Would also like to know any history of this shape etc as a bonus.:)

Bowl back mandolins are the oldest most traditional form of the mandolin. This is a typical Italian model, not too low grade, not a top end one either!

They are tuned and played the same as other more common American mandolins.

You need to use the lightest strings so as to not damage the instrument. Typical strings for Bluegrass mandolins are too heavy and will damage the instrument.

I'm a rare one in these parts, I prefer these mandolins to the Gibson archted type. So congratulations on getting a real Italian mandolin.

Ray(T)
Jan-09-2018, 11:31am
I'm no expert on bowlbacks but that one looks to me as if it was built since the turn of the millenium and so no reason to assume that the maker didn't have an email address. As it doesn't appear to have any form of adjustable truss-rod in the neck, I would stick with light or extra light gauge strings.

DavidKOS
Jan-09-2018, 11:31am
You have what appears to be a fairly recent bowlback mandolin (or possibly a mandola depending on the scale length) that was made in Italy or at least the label says it was. That doesn't look like Primivera on the label. Are you sure that's what it says? I doubt it's much older than the early 80's or so.

It reminds me of Catania made instruments.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-09-2018, 11:39am
As far as the genre of what you have it's one of these (https://www.google.com/search?q=bowl+back+mandolin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjK-_a8qMvYAhUPMd8KHRFlBoMQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=939) made in Italy.

bennyb
Jan-09-2018, 12:26pm
Looks like Alfredo Privitera on the label. Here is a little bit on Dave Hynds site (http://www.mandolinluthier.com/puglisi_family.htm) on the history(successor to Puglisi family). Looks like more on google.

PeggieL
Jan-09-2018, 12:34pm
The label definitely says Alfredo Privitera and when my husband googled it and did some hunting found the company label and it matches with the exception the newer ones have email address on. I have no idea on the company for when it was made I was just trying to find out what I could about it and maybe hoping I did not get taken on the price I paid ;) Thanks for the info and links. I am certainly chasing them down.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-09-2018, 2:24pm
The label definitely says Alfredo Privitera and when my husband googled it and did some hunting found the company label and it matches with the exception the newer ones have email address on. I have no idea on the company for when it was made I was just trying to find out what I could about it and maybe hoping I did not get taken on the price I paid ;) Thanks for the info and links. I am certainly chasing them down.

Your original post says this:

The label says Alfredo Primivera

Primivera and Privitera aren't the same.

Here (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS709US709&ei=aBZVWv2KIu6D_Qb51KCYBg&q=Privitera++site%3Amandolincafe.com&oq=Privitera++site%3Amandolincafe.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...26873.39652.0.42145.2.2.0.0.0.0.111.182.1j1 .2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.k67FS92OnpY) is every thread with Privitera in it on the Cafe.

PeggieL
Jan-09-2018, 2:28pm
OOPS.. it is tera not vera... brain fart I guess.

mrmando
Jan-09-2018, 2:39pm
Interesting approach to shaping the ribs there.

Looks nice although it doesn't appear to be a terribly valuable instrument. Made for export; that's why the label is in English. Privitera factory is in Catania, Sicily. I do like the dancing couple on the pickguard.

Standard 8-string mandolin tuning is GDAE no matter what the mandolin looks like. Most information from a mandolin video will still be applicable even if the video doesn't have a bowlback in it.

allenhopkins
Jan-09-2018, 5:13pm
Looks like an all-maple bowl, and the English label and "Made in Italy" definitely indicate it was built to be exported.

When you restring it, get extra light strings, GHS A-240 (https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-mandolin-extra-light-gauge-9-32-full-set-5793.html?catargetid=120229430000043804&cadevice=c&gclid=CMPMqoSrndMCFYiLswodwfQJ5g) or equivalent gauges. Bowl-backs aren't built for the same string gauges as most of the carved-top or flat-top mandolins with which you may be more familiar.

DavidKOS
Jan-09-2018, 5:44pm
Looks nice although it doesn't appear to be a terribly valuable instrument. Made for export; that's why the label is in English. Privitera factory is in Catania, Sicily. I do like the dancing couple on the pickguard.

Looks like an all-maple bowl, and the English label and "Made in Italy" definitely indicate it was built to be exported.

I thought it looked like a Catania-style mandolin. Thanks for the research to all.

brunello97
Jan-09-2018, 8:20pm
I recall us having a conversation about Privitera Alfredo some time back. I think I even turned up a Google street view of the shop.
Pablo might correct me but those look like the common "Ping" tuners used on a range of mandolins from a broad range of makers.

The mandolin I got in Paracho, Michoacan has them along with those big frets and mystery "rosewoood" fretboard. The tuners are surprisingly quite dependable. The frets and fret board surprisingly soft.

I enjoy the splicing of the maple staves on the back of the bowl. It has a zero fret, which is nice in my book. Maybe what appears to be a Louisville Slugger type neck we see on various Suzuki and MOR Japanese bowls from the '60s and '70s, though I agree with Michele that this is likely '80s or newer. Maybe considerably.

I'd sure like to try it out. ;) I'd bet David would, too.....

I'm blanking on the name of our Catanese friend who posts on here....guitar player. Giuseppe....? I wonder if he has some knowledge of Privitera's work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEc7mqdcd2w

Mick

Jess L.
Jan-10-2018, 9:06am
... I'm blanking on the name of our Catanese friend who posts on here....guitar player. Giuseppe....? I wonder if he has some knowledge of Privitera's work. ...

Maybe Giuseppe Torrisi? On YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/buz058/videos), and MandolinCafe (username "mandoguitar (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9190690)"). Looks like he hasn't logged into MandolinCafe in a few months but he posts new videos regularly on YouTube. The name rang a bell because he's one of the YouTube channels I subscribe to.

brunello97
Jan-10-2018, 8:39pm
Maybe Giuseppe Torrisi? On YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/user/buz058/videos), and MandolinCafe (username "mandoguitar (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?searchid=9190690)"). ......

Yessir!

Thank you. I was feeling a bit embarrassed for not remembering his last name. You bailed me out....

I hope he happens by the conversation.

Mick

Jim Garber
Jan-10-2018, 11:27pm
Pablo might correct me but those look like the common "Ping" tuners used on a range of mandolins from a broad range of makers.

¿Quien es Pablo?

brunello97
Jan-11-2018, 10:28am
¿Quien es Pablo?

Paul Hostetter....of course. He knows his tuners. Among many other things.

Mick

Jim Garber
Jan-11-2018, 11:07am
Paul Hostetter....of course. He knows his tuners. Among many other things.

Mick

Ah, I agree but I don’t think PH has posted here I quite a while. At least I don’t recall.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-11-2018, 11:27am
I think he was here last week. He's currently out of the country in an exotic location. Those are very inexpensive tuners, most likely Pings possibly the bottom line Gotoh's but I doubt it.

lenf12
Jan-11-2018, 11:44am
Those are very inexpensive tuners, most likely Pings...

Agreed on the Ping tuner ID Mike.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

EdHanrahan
Jan-11-2018, 12:53pm
... Those are very inexpensive tuners ...

Especially with half of the backplate screw holes being empty; that can't help. And the dark shadows on the face, below each tuning peg, look like someone went overboard with the machine oil.

DiegoInSeneca
Dec-13-2021, 5:56pm
History of that shape? Well, until a fellow named Lloyd Loar built the type of mandolin that made Bill Monroe famous, the bowlback shape may well have been the international standard. More history? Start a-Googlin'.

DiegoInSeneca
Dec-13-2021, 6:00pm
Might be even better to check YouTubes from Europe, where these are quite common outside of bluegrass circles. Try www.google.it [Italy] and use Google Translate or another online translator. A cross cultural experience, a trip abroad at no cost.

Jim Garber
Dec-13-2021, 6:03pm
DiegoInSeneca: This thread is approaching its 4th year of age and the OP's questions were answered back in 2018.

journeybear
Dec-13-2021, 6:30pm
Not only that, but the OP started this thread to find out specific information, and hasn't posted nor even checked in since then. Seems like she got the answers to her questions. This matter was settled long ago.

PS: Orville Gibson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orville_Gibson) may not have invented the thinner type of mandolin currently so popular - flatbacks appeared in the 1850s - but the carved-wood model he created became very popular during the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th century, and the company he founded developed an aggressive marketing scheme which led to the style supplanting the previously popular bowlback. Lloyd Loar entered the picture some 25-30 years later.

I am also a big proponent of googling.

brunello97
Dec-13-2021, 8:27pm
DiegoInSeneca: This thread is approaching its 4th year of age and the OP's questions were answered back in 2018.

DiegoInWestchester....by coincidence, Alfredo Privitera came up in response to a query looking for contemporary Sicilian makers.
Hopefully that searcher finds their way here.

Mick

Bob A
Dec-18-2021, 1:05pm
I found the maker's way of expanding the rib count intriguing; splicing them together before the neck block, in a graceful overall design. It's unique in my experience, but I've seen very few modern bowlbacks.