PDA

View Full Version : Eighth of January

jasona
Jan-08-2018, 11:49pm
Almost forgot to play it today! Fortunately it was "almost" :mandosmiley:

Mando Mort
Jan-09-2018, 6:54am
There was an article on Bluegrass Today referencing Ricky Skaggs and Keith Whitley recording that song on the 8th of January 1971.

pops1
Jan-09-2018, 9:11am
I played it last week does that count. Don't for get to play the 28th of January when it comes around.

Louise NM
Jan-09-2018, 9:54am
I thought about that yesterday, but had one of those days where I didn't get home until about 10:30. At that hour, dinner was calling my name more than mandolin was. I played it Sunday---does that count?

Jim_G
Jan-09-2018, 10:03am
I play it on my birthday in June, because the day I was born Johnny Horton's version was the number one song on the charts.

bigskygirl
Jan-09-2018, 10:51am
I remembered but it’s a tune that I just can’t seem to jive with. It’s not difficult for me and lately I’ve been practicing a lot of improvising and this is a tune that has the long stretch of D in the B part so I practice making something in D sound melodic. Funny how some tunes just won’t behave...:mandosmiley:

Trav'linmando
Jan-09-2018, 7:15pm
Last week I picked up The Book of the Dawg 'Dawg Roots' . So last night while parked in Ozark Arkansas I started picking 8th of January. David described the tempo as "sprightly ". I strongly suspect that his idea of sprightly is a tad quicker than mine. :whistling:

pops1
Jan-09-2018, 9:00pm
Every Tuesday a few friends and myself play for a musician friend of ours who was paralyzed in a car accident a few years ago. We played both today.

Torpedotom
Jan-10-2018, 9:00am
Last week I picked up The Book of the Dawg 'Dawg Roots' . So last night while parked in Ozark Arkansas I started picking 8th of January. David described the tempo as "sprightly ". I strongly suspect that his idea of sprightly is a tad quicker than mine. :whistling:

Hey man, you were in my neck of the woods, not Ozark, but Arkansas. Hope all is well. I'm getting my Pete ready to sell. Mrs. Torpedo' said that I was not going back out on the road so all my pickin' will be between our regular house and our river house. I'm a lucky guy.

Trav'linmando
Jan-11-2018, 9:11am
Hey man, you were in my neck of the woods, not Ozark, but Arkansas. Hope all is well. I'm getting my Pete ready to sell. Mrs. Torpedo' said that I was not going back out on the road so all my pickin' will be between our regular house and our river house. I'm a lucky guy.

Mrs. Torpedo has the right idea. Picking inside a Pete is not the greatest idea acoustically. Plus, your new KM 1500 will try to jump around causing nicks and dings. (Don't ask how I know) I suppose that your river house will work pretty well. :mandosmiley: