PDA

View Full Version : Body depth

Magnus Geijer
Mar-10-2004, 11:37am
Yesterday, having put my three in-production bodies somewhat next to each other, I notice that one of them seem slimmer than the other two. After some measuring it becomes painfully clear that this is indeed the case. Actually, it's the other two that are taller. I have mismeasured the sides for these two, making them 1/4" taller than normal. My first thought was to just cut them down to size, but then I thought I should at least ask. What would be the typical change in sound to expect from this kind of increase in body cavity volume?

Thanks,

Magnus

Chris Baird
Mar-10-2004, 12:49pm
The added internal volume will lower the air resonance inside the body. This will change the modal couplings and may put the instruments ideal tonal range somewhat below that of the standard mandolin tuning. In my estimation the goal is to have as big an air cavity as possible while still retaining the necessary couplings that allow the mandolin to respond best in its tonal range.

oldwave maker
Mar-10-2004, 3:36pm
Some body depths in inches measured last week at wintergrass:
heiden 1.76
brock 1.76
gilchrist 1.73
prucha 1.82
gibson bush 1.63
givens 1.73
weber 1.75
generally with mine, deeper=presence, thinner=projection

Tom C
Mar-10-2004, 3:41pm
Out of curiousity, Are those measurements of the side piece only or does that include the thickness of the top and bottom plates?

oldwave maker
Mar-10-2004, 3:59pm
Those measurements were taken of the entire outside depth on the edge near the center of the f hole.