PDA

View Full Version : My new F is here! Scratch me off the waiting list.

mandomick
Jul-03-2005, 9:42pm
Got a few shots from the builder which are much better than I can produce. I'll try and get some more in a day or 2. Here's the top, also has a real nice satin finish gold James tailpiece.

mandomick
Jul-03-2005, 9:49pm
Lots of flame. I like the white pin stripe.

mandomick
Jul-03-2005, 9:53pm
Gold Waverly tuners with ebony buttons. You can feel the precision when tuning but they spoil you. I'll get some more pics soon.

rmoss
Jul-03-2005, 10:40pm
Jim Hilburn? It is beautiful!!!

dperry
Jul-03-2005, 10:44pm
Wow, that is very nice. I know that you are one happy picker when playing that.

Mando4Life
Jul-04-2005, 6:49pm
Brentrup??

Very nice specimen you have there.

Congrats!!

WBL

Mandoborg
Jul-04-2005, 7:38pm
With that headstock inlay, that was my guess as well Wayne. That's a Beautiful instrument. I'm really starting to like the darker bindings as opposed to the Ivoroid .

Jim

jasona
Jul-04-2005, 10:40pm
Look at the fretboard inlay at the 12th. Its a Hilburn.

jimbob
Jul-05-2005, 2:48am
very nice...I really like the tortise binding...
Couldn't guess the builder, but super looking mandolin !!

mandomick
Jul-05-2005, 5:11am
Here's the last picture I have for now, It,s #50.

Bradley
Jul-05-2005, 7:00am
That thing is Smokin !!

The binding and finish combination look great.

Congrats on a fine Mando http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fredfrank
Jul-05-2005, 7:04am
It's got me thinkin' again . . .

Mando4Life
Jul-05-2005, 7:50am
WOW...Ben has definitely stepped it up a notch.

Congrats on an awesome looking mandolin!

WBL

Tom C
Jul-05-2005, 8:12am
Beauty

MANDOLINMYSTER
Jul-05-2005, 8:32am
I have got one on the way from Ben also. Funny thing I choose the tort binding and dark finish too. At least I get a preview of what mine will look like. I may have to upgrade to the Waverly's though.

mandopete
Jul-05-2005, 9:20am
Wow!

kyblue
Jul-05-2005, 9:48am
Very classy looking mando.

JimRichter
Jul-05-2005, 10:11am
I don't say it about many mandos I see here in the Cafe, but that is a fine looking mando. It definitely does seem that Ben has taken his lutherie to the next level. Well done and congrats.

Jim

jasona
Jul-05-2005, 10:16am
D'Oh! Nice work Ben!

mandoJeremy
Jul-05-2005, 10:33am
Ben has done an amazing job on that! I thought it was a Hilburn also and that is saying something if Ben can make a mando that has the same great workmanship as Jim's mandos do. Beautiful!!!!

mandomick
Jul-05-2005, 4:38pm
Here's the last shot I have so far. It's a Bill James tailpiece and it's a perfect blend of form and function. Note the cover profile of the BRW tailpiece is of Ben's design and exclusive to his instruments. Compare it to one of the James standards.

Also, Many thanks for all the kind words. I'm having a blast playing this one, I put some JS74's on it and it's honkin'. Gotta mail Ben and tell him to check out this thread so he can enjoy all of your compliments.

Man I just love being part of this little piece of the world.

Bill James
Jul-06-2005, 10:41am
Gorgeous...a MAS killer for sure.

Very nice work Ben. Can't even find words for the peghead.

Bradley
Jul-06-2005, 1:12pm
Those pictures just clarify my decision to get a mandolin from BRW.

They will also serve as a pacifier during my wait http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Now youve got me thinking about the Waverly upgrade

David M.
Jul-06-2005, 1:23pm
beautiful!

Gorgeous...a MAS killer for sure

Maybe only for Mandomick! It's stokin' my MAS something awful http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Lane Pryce
Jul-06-2005, 2:38pm
That is just way too cool. Lp

Fred G
Jul-06-2005, 2:49pm
I have not been crazy about the tortoise binding I have seen before, but this may pull me to the dark side...
It is just breathtaking...

dj9124
Jul-07-2005, 10:47pm
Mandomick, its been a couple days now how is she sounding?
Dave

ShaneJ
Jul-07-2005, 11:25pm
Sweet! The white binding just behind/underneath the tortoise binding makes it really pop - brightens up the "almost clear" spots for good contrast. Again.....Sweet!!

Brian Ray
Jul-09-2005, 1:14am
I enjoy watching the BRW clan grow... welcome Mick, she's a bute.

mandomick
Jul-09-2005, 10:10am
Mandomick, its been a couple days now how is she sounding?
Dave
Dave, when Ben and I spoke about the sound I was looking for the only thing I told him was to pick the type of wood he needed and to #build me a "bust out" bluegrass mandolin, the best that he could build. I'd say he aimed high and hit it dead nuts, right on the mark. Not much of a description (bell like highs, etc.) I know, but I will say that the tonal quality and volume are easily on par with the finish and detail that shows in the photos.

Dasspunk,good to hear from you. Your Orange is one of the coolist mandos I've seen. This is my 2nd BRW, If (when) MAS bites you again, consider one of Ben's J16's if you're looking for a "big" sound.

dj9124
Jul-09-2005, 5:57pm
If that mando sounds half as good as it looks you must have a real killer. That is one of the most beautiful mandos I have ever seen, again congratulations on an outstanding instrument!

Brian Ray
Jul-10-2005, 10:48pm
Ahhh... going for 2nds! A fine idea Mick... enjoy them both. Luckily, Orange has helped keep the MAS under control.

levin4now
Jul-20-2005, 7:40pm
That is a stunning mandolin. It might be my fav. BRW of all those I've seen here. Congrats.