PDA

View Full Version : Strap on F-style

Torpedotom
Dec-24-2017, 4:08pm
Being a beginner, I always am sitting when I practice. Yesterday I put a strap on my KM855 F around the scroll and around my back. Well, it did not hang level like my A with the strap attached to a pin on the heel. The F would hang with the neck pointing to the floor. Is this normal? Also, does anyone attach their strap at the nut or to the headstock on an F-model? I never thought so, but I'm thinking I would do better with the strap just over my shoulder. Any ideas?

MediumMando5722
Dec-24-2017, 4:30pm
Yes, that's normal. Most use their right forearm to hold the instrument level.

I've seen a few people tie to the headstock, but I don't like the way guitars or mandolins sit like that. Plus, tying around the scroll obviously looks cooler :)

Ge23ev
Dec-24-2017, 10:32pm
I guess I kinda like when it sits like that. That's how special forces strap their rifles. Kind of feels like I'm strapping an assault rifle that shoots music

Bill Findley
Dec-24-2017, 11:56pm
Have a seat in a chair with no arms, put your left leg on a footstool or the closed case, and you won’t have to worry about tensing up your right arm to hold the mando in a comfortable position. The lower point rests on your left leg. Maybe not as cool as standing, but...you’ll be more comfortable. Got enough else to think about, right?

Bill Kammerzell
Dec-25-2017, 12:12am
I always find it more comfortable when I hand the strap over the right shoulder. Mandolin never felt comfortable with the strap around the back. With a guitar it did. Not with a mandolin though.

jesserules
Dec-25-2017, 1:35am
I'm thinking I would do better with the strap just over my shoulder. Any ideas?

I always find it more comfortable when I hand the strap over the right shoulder.

Good enough for Mr Bill ....

Bill Findley
Dec-25-2017, 1:48am
Check out youtube “Mike Marshall on Mandolin Tips”. Solid.

Mark Gunter
Dec-25-2017, 3:43am
Simple solution - use an A style mandolin. :mandosmiley:

Sorry :redface: couldn't resist cracking wise. But only half joking, I love my little A style mandolin.

T.D.Nydn
Dec-25-2017, 8:28am
I prefer to sling the strap over my right shoulder for many reasons,,it's easier to get on and off,,you can juggle the mandolin to different positions,like to pick it up to reach a microphone,you can machine gun it,and you can tilt it easier if you have to,,all the while supporting it with your right forearm.it just feels better to me also...

CES
Dec-25-2017, 9:55am
I'm in the over the back camp, but do whatever feels best to you!!

Mark Wilson
Dec-25-2017, 9:58am
I prefer to sling the strap over my right shoulderDo you cradle/support the mandolin any with the right forearm

T.D.Nydn
Dec-25-2017, 10:06am
Do you cradle/support the mandolin any with the right forearm

Yeah I do,,the right forearm for support and control is important,but with the right feel ,you can pretty much direct the mandolin using only your forearm,, (in conjunction with the shoulder strap)..

Stevo75
Dec-25-2017, 11:24am
+1 on the A-style. They balance much better. My F-style feels way more too heavy and doesn’t hang as nicely when standing. I loop the strap over my right shoulder for the F style and that helps. The A style hangs well either way. I do use a strap button on the A style.

T.D.Nydn
Dec-25-2017, 12:05pm
I find A models are light and balance well enough where you don't even need a strap for one,just tucked in your forearm, I don't use a strap on my A5L..

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-26-2017, 5:11am
I use a strap around my back. I always hold the mandolin neck in my left hand anyway to prevent any damage,so it doesn't point downward unless i let go of it,
Ivan

Bren
Dec-27-2017, 7:22pm
I'm somewhat long of back and short of arm so I use a strap whether standing or sitting, to help with better playing position and overall posture.

Hunching over my instrument for any length of time leaves me in pain.

Br1ck
Dec-27-2017, 8:18pm
Different straps have more friction on the shoulder than others. Smooth is slippery. Try something like my Bailey where the top surface is smooth but the underside is rough. Must be leather terminology for that.