PDA

View Full Version : Muleskinner Blues Intro.

deadcowboy
Jul-03-2005, 9:23am
can anyone tell me what being played there ( Bill Monroe's mandolin break )

The timing on that seems to be very free I can bearly get it in My
head

Any help would be great

Thanks
John

alanstewartra
Jul-03-2005, 2:17pm
Grisman told me that he put that intro on a tape loop(back in the day of reel to reels)so he could practice it over and over until he got it right.The timing is kind of strange,and if it gave Grisman trouble you shouldn't feel to bad.I think Monroe origionally played that intro on guitar,I could be wrong.It's a classic, just keep tryin'. Alan

evanreilly
Jul-03-2005, 9:07pm
Monroe did play guitar when he auditioned for the Opry, and 'Blue Yodel #8 (Mule Skinner Blues)' was the number he auditioned with. He did the intro on guitar before transferrring it to mandolin.

deadcowboy
Jul-03-2005, 9:33pm
It's funny you mentioned Grisman putting it on a Loop to learn it.
After I posted I did just that, However with the wonders of
Digital Audio I can actual see the note groupings. and I can
loop just one phase or even one note.
So I made some progress with the lick.

And Yes your right now that you said it I remeber hearing it done
on a guitar but I didn't know it was Bill.

I still very new to the Mandolin and I was wondering do
you think it would be worth posting the TAB for this?
Or is this lick known by most ?

Have a Nice 4th...

John

swampstomper
Jul-04-2005, 6:34am
If you're new to Monroe and you want to get into his style, I *highly* recommend the 2-DVD set from Homespun Tapes. The first is Mon backed by the BG Boys,interviewed by John Hartford, where he explains his life and music, and a bit about his style. Then then 2nd DVD is Sam Bush breaking down the style for each song. Really worth it if you want to emulate Monroe, and entertaining too. And yes, Muleskinner intro. is on there.

csstanley
Jul-04-2005, 7:37am
A second on the Homespun tapes with Monroe, Hartford, Rinzler, and Bush. Lots of GREAT info and even get the tablature to boot.

deadcowboy
Jul-04-2005, 8:51am
after a few hours with it. I managed to get it . I just need to get it up to speed now.
I'll look into that DVD set it seems pretty interesting.

Thanks for you help

John

earthsave
Jul-05-2005, 11:42am
Nuther recommendation for the Homespun vids.