PDA

View Full Version : Watching Jim Play "Little Wing"

Soupy1957
Dec-16-2017, 12:24am
I think I just set my head in a whole new direction, after watching Jim knock "Little Wing" outa the park!!

Changes my whole perspective!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5dmVlgcgio

Soupy1957
Dec-16-2017, 6:57am
Then I heard THIS (for the first time TODAY).......Mike Compton playing “Jenny Lynn.”
I don’t know if I can adequately express how awesome this is.......In one portion, you clearly hear the fiddle; and in another, The baseline of a guitar. Absolutely blew me away!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFC7PZ6jiI

Is that an open tuning he’s using????

mtucker
Dec-16-2017, 7:51am
sawmill AEAE

Soupy1957
Dec-16-2017, 8:11am
I understand “AEAE,” but what do you mean by “sawmill?”

mtucker
Dec-16-2017, 8:40am
suppose it could be tuned GDGD as well but it places more tension on the bridge/top of the instrument.

As for the term 'sawmill' or open tuning, that goes back to earlier times and some of the historians here are much better suited to answer the 'lore' or origins of that term, than I.

rfd
Dec-16-2017, 9:14am
suppose it could be tuned GDGD as well but it places more tension on the bridge/top of the instrument. ....

how so? GD for the the 1st 2 strings is tuning down for less tension.

mtucker
Dec-16-2017, 9:24am
duh, correct, was thinking AEAE and my brain f@rted!

rfd
Dec-16-2017, 9:34am
duh, correct, was thinking AEAE and my brain f@rted!

i hear ya - to err is human and i sure do prove my humanity daily. :)

Soupy1957
Dec-16-2017, 1:15pm
Ya’ll might appreciate this........I sent an email to Mike Compton, not knowing whether or not he would get it or would respond, but I asked him about the tuning that he did in “Jenny Lynn” in that video, and here’s his response: ( I can’t imagine that he would mind me posting it here)

“Howdy Soupy.
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed the rendition. Yessir, the mando is tuned in what old timers called “Cross keyed “ it “sawmill” tuning. Tune the G and D strings up to A and E. You will be tuned AEAE. Old time fiddle players use the same intervals in the other keys such as G and C, The tunings being GDGD or FCFC. Amazing what turning a couple knobs will give you. Give it a try and let me know how it turns out. All the best.
Life is good. MC”

soliver
Dec-16-2017, 4:44pm
I wonder if it’s possible to play Jenny Lynn without the alternate tuning?

Mike Snyder
Dec-16-2017, 6:20pm
Been playing it for a couple of decades in GDAE.

Mark Seale
Dec-24-2017, 8:01pm
I wonder if it’s possible to play Jenny Lynn without the alternate tuning?

Sure, you'll lose some of the drone unless you're really good at planting your finger on the A and the E on the big strings.