PDA

View Full Version : Thomastik Infeld Strings

Soupy1957
Dec-15-2017, 9:29pm
I think I spelled that right, right? I tried them some years ago, and I thought them to be a rather muted string, but they had a TERRIFIC reputation.

Me personally........I've migrated to D'Addario's over the years, for ALL my stringed instruments. They seem to hold up fairly well, once broken in.

Not only that, but the Thomastik Infelds were expensive, as I recall. Anyone have any thoughts?????

George R. Lane
Dec-15-2017, 10:19pm
I tried them a few years ago on my Weber Yellowstone, sounded OK. but too expensive.

I now use strings from Mapes. They have been making musical wire for over 100 years. Good stuff.

Soupy1957
Dec-15-2017, 10:27pm
Never heard of "Mapes." I'll investigate? Are they hard to find?????

Mike Snyder
Dec-15-2017, 10:34pm
I bought a couple of sets many years ago. Sounded OK, as I recall. I do not remember what mandolin I had back then, probably a Kentucky F 700 or the Ibanez red Jethro, but they both were quiet mandolins. What I do remember is breaking that wound A string. I always remembered the silky feel and eventually bought d’Addario FW74s. Forever is a long time, but I really feel that the string search is over for me. Use them on an A4 and an F5.

Jesse Kinman
Dec-15-2017, 10:45pm
I tried them a few years ago on my Kentucky KM630s(it’s already not a loud mandolin), and it was noticeably quieter than with Elixir Nanowebs, but it sounded decent. It played really nice tho with the flatwound surface tho, just wish they would’ve been louder.

Ron McMillan
Dec-15-2017, 10:48pm
Played a friend's National Resophonic RM-1 last night, with Thomastiks fitted. Sublime feel and tone. I've no idea if they are quieter than other brands, but on the booming Resophonic, volume is never going to be a problem.

Soupy1957
Dec-15-2017, 10:48pm
Yeah, that was one thing about the Thomastik Infelds.....they were/are a round-wound string......easier on the fingers. They WERE, however........more muted.

Jim Garber
Dec-15-2017, 11:30pm
Yeah, that was one thing about the Thomastik Infelds.....they were/are a round-wound string......easier on the fingers. They WERE, however........more muted.

Nah, the Thomastik strings we use on mandolin are usually flatwound. Elderly (https://www.elderly.com/accessories/strings/mandolin-family-strings?manufacturer=361) has them among others. Close to $50 per set. They are made like violin strings.

Soupy1957
Dec-15-2017, 11:48pm
Yep, you're right.........now that I think of it...........flat wound! I first heard about them from a Cello player, who said they were quite commonly used in professional musician circles in Symphonies.

RFMando
Dec-16-2017, 1:00am
I think TI's are AMAZING strings ...AND if money was no object at all, hey I'd use them often! Every set I've tried has exuded quality and maybe they are worth the price of admission...but with as many stringed instruments as I need to put strings on etc. no dice.

D'Addario just makes great stuff; maybe a bit general purpose but that is what fits the bill most the time...carry on....:-)

Tavy
Dec-16-2017, 3:19am
I used to love them, but the price has just got too steep for me, now an FW74 convert: the same feel as the TI's but a brighter louder tone.

Mandoplumb
Dec-16-2017, 6:16am
Your D’Addrios are probably wound around Mapes, they make the core for most string companies. 50 years ago as I was a fairly new musician your string choices were Gibson, Martin, Black Diamond or Mapes. Today I think the only place to buy Mapes is from them. I go to their web site and order what I want. Different mandolins like different strings but Mapes make a variety that seems to suit each one.

mandolinstew
Dec-16-2017, 7:47am
try Pyramid

MediumMando5722
Dec-16-2017, 8:25am
I used to love experimenting with strings, but it sure is nice to be able to walk into the local store and buy what I want.

Bob Clark
Dec-16-2017, 8:38am
I really like TI's. In fact, they are all I use. YMMV, that's why the are so many brands and types. As for me, I'm sticking with them.

fatt-dad
Dec-16-2017, 8:38am
I've used them (154st) on various mandolins for years. I love them! That said, I also love the EXP74CM! They're different though!

I'm currently thinking of using the CM's on all my mandolins just to revisit how they all sound different.

After all, it is a hobby, eh?

f-d

Phil Goodson
Dec-16-2017, 8:52am

Here you go, Soup. (https://www.mapesstrings.com/)

Welcome back. Long time, no see!:)

JEStanek
Dec-16-2017, 1:10pm
The player you mentioned elsewhere you liked, Anthony Hannigan, swore by TIs when I met him. He is an amazing grasser, too. He never seemed to suffer from muted tone or lack of volume.

Jamie

David L
Dec-18-2017, 2:16pm
I've mentioned it before: I have exclusively used TI flatwounds on my mandolin, mandola and mandocello (all vintage Gibsons) for several decades. That's the strongest recommendation I can give.

Soupy1957
Dec-18-2017, 3:25pm
I've mentioned it before: I have exclusively used TI flatwounds on my mandolin, mandola and mandocello (all vintage Gibsons) for several decades. That's the strongest recommendation I can give.

This is the kind of endorsement that I ran into before. The cost, expensive; but the string.........great!! Muted? Yes, somewhat, but that is likely preferred in some applications.

Macabre
Dec-18-2017, 4:22pm

Do you use Middle or Stark on your mandolin?

David L
Dec-19-2017, 10:58am
Do you use Middle or Stark on your mandolin?

I use the mittle (medium) on a 1906 Gibson 3-point.

Louise NM
Dec-19-2017, 10:58pm
How long do they last? I'd happily pay the price if it meant significantly fewer string changes.

Bill Clements
Dec-19-2017, 11:07pm
TIs are wonderful strings, and while expensive, they do last much longer than phosphor bronze strings. I will go months between string changes.
They are often favored by classical musicians (particularly German mandolinists) who prefer their tone quality, lack of string noise, and silky feel.

Louise NM
Dec-19-2017, 11:50pm
I may try a set. I'm only getting about two months out of the phosphor bronze I have been using, and I don't love changing them. They would have to last a year and a half or so to come out even financially.

Jeff Mando
Dec-20-2017, 12:16am
They are fine strings. I think it is more a question of, "do you like flatwounds over roundwounds?" Big difference, if you have never tried flatwounds. Not a Ford vs Chevy type of thing -- more like a tennis shoes vs cowboy boots type of thing! Not that one is better than the other.......

Soupy1957
Dec-20-2017, 12:38am
It's been a while since I ordered any TI's................seems to me I couldn't buy them locally, and had to order them thru a website.

Yep......I was right..........ordered them through THESE folks:

http://www.juststrings.com/thomastikinfeld.html

Or here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=thomastik+infeld+mandolin+strings&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=234017754889&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13238866850433114252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003364&hvtargid=kwd-390303735972&ref=pd_sl_1xrt497ryx_e

mandobassman
Dec-21-2017, 10:20pm
I used to love them, but the price has just got too steep for me, now an FW74 convert: the same feel as the TI's but a brighter louder tone.

Same here. I used them for quite a few years and loved them, but the price tripled from when I started using them. I am now quite happy with the D’Addario flatwound.

Soupy1957
Dec-21-2017, 10:52pm
They certainly are expensive that is for sure!
D Addario strings have been really dependable over the years, and reasonably priced!!

Dave Martin
Dec-21-2017, 10:59pm
I use TI strong. Expensive, but last a long time and they go on sale occasionally. Smooth tone. No squeeks.

Soupy1957
Dec-22-2017, 9:16am
I use TI strong......... Smooth tone. No squeeks.

I recall a discussion somewhere, either here or in a Forum for guitars, in which there was a lot of emphasis put on the squeaking of strings. While I have no doubt that the construction of the strings contributes to either squeak or no squeak conditions, thrust of the conversation turned to technique. Obviously the more judicious we are about the placement of our fingers on the strings the less squeak there will be, (unless of course your style of play includes a lot of slides).

mandobassman
Dec-29-2017, 4:29pm
...Obviously the more judicious we are about the placement of our fingers on the strings the less squeak there will be, (unless of course your style of play includes a lot of slides).

The slides are mainly where the squeaking comes from. Doesn't have anything to do with finger placement or technique. I hear string squeak quite frequently from recordings of pro players. That's one of the main reasons why I use flatwound strings. No finger noise at all. Every time I play a mandolin that uses bronze wound strings, the string noise drives me crazy.

Eric Platt
Dec-30-2017, 8:38pm
I don't mind the squeaks. That said, my Breedlove has FW74 on it. Like the tone and feel on that instrument. Haven't tried flatwound on either of my other mandolins. My plan with the Gibson is to keep the PB set that's been on since April or May on for another 4 to 5 months. Just now it's getting to the good dead tone. The Californian is too new to me to decide what strings will stay on it. Want to keep the PB lights on for now and see how they evolve. But it may end up with a set of TI on it eventually.

s11141827
Nov-17-2022, 12:07pm
I restrung my Mandolin w/ these Strings recently (just after changing the tailpiece out to a Terminator Tailpiece), & yeah I had to save up alot of money for these amazing Strings. The Flatwound construction will save the frets from scratches & the lower tension makes playing the Mandolin easier. Thomastik Mandolin Strings are Flatwound Strings designed like Violin Strings & the very top of the package, it says "Precision" in German. I guess these amazing strings would be great for Violinists who want to double on Mandolin.