PDA

View Full Version : moving to north carolina

John Rosett
Jul-02-2005, 1:33pm
well, about a year ago i posted that i was going to be moving to n.c., but i decided to give it another shot here in montana. i've decided to go ahead and take the plunge. i gave notice to my band, and we're shooting for a late september-early october move. we'll be moving to the raleigh/durham area, and i'll be looking for people to play with, and a serious band situation. i'd like to hear from people in the area about all aspects of life in n.c.-good places to live, where to find other musicians, etc. etc.
i should add that while i like and play bluegrass, i'm more interested in "alt/country", western swing, jazz, etc. i play guitar and lap steel/dobro also, and i'd like to find situations where i can play all of them in a band.
thanks for any advice and suggestions.
john

Flatpick
Jul-02-2005, 1:53pm
God's speed.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of pickers there.

I am from West Virginia and dream of the day when I am able to return to my roots. I miss the mountains, my people and the music.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif Flatpick

Stephanie Reiser
Jul-02-2005, 2:02pm
I'm thinking of moving to the Wilmington or Fairmont area.
But I'm a builder of mandolins and I would imagine that there are lots of builders down there. Still thinking.....

RJ Rummie
Jul-02-2005, 7:10pm
I live in Raleigh. Look me up when you get here, and I can give you lots of info...where to eat, where to play and such. Its a nice place, but I'm sure its not Montana...I cant wait to get away from the city

Greg H.
Jul-02-2005, 9:45pm
John,

PM me when you get close to moving. There's a lot going on around here, but I'll be able to give you a much better list of events (jam sessions concerts etc.) when you're about ready to make the move. I live outside of Pittsboro (which is SW of Chapel Hill) so a lot will depend on which side of the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) you end up on. I'm fairly up on events West of the triangle, but I'm sure others would be better equipped to give you the low down on what's happening East of Raleigh. Oh, and you're moving into bluegrass country, so while you can find some other styles played BG seems to be the predominant one (I came out of Oklahoma, and I'm still trying to get the folks I jam with to learn some Bob Wills) #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

bdisp
Jul-03-2005, 8:37pm
Apex, NC reporting. I'm justa mite south of Raleigh. A bunch of good music here. I'm an old-time guy myself. I do broaden my horizon and check out the other scenes. You will easily find some folks to make music.

As for the Triangle area in general.......... I came here in '74 to attend a wedding. 30+ years later, I'm still here, still pickin'. Whatever your fancy is, you'll find it here.

Jaded
Jul-04-2005, 3:51pm
I live in Cary, NC. I pretty much only play bluegrass and the jams I know of are pretty much straight up bluegrass, but I think theres a fairly good crowd of people into the alt country, jazz etc scene around the NC State area.

evanreilly
Jul-04-2005, 7:05pm
Asheville 'suburbs' here....
I moved here just over two years ago from 'up nawth'....
There is more good acoustic music here than I ever found anywhere else....
Every jam i go to has more manalin players than you can swat!!