PDA

View Full Version : Carlo Aonzo Trio playing BG

crisscross
Dec-10-2017, 8:37am
Bluegrass on a bowlback and an electric archtop guitar but without a banjo?
Just discovered this video, was fascinated by the way Aonzo holds his bowlback without any strap and even manages to play some lightning fast tunes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1__EgQO-ALQ

Charles E.
Dec-10-2017, 7:16pm
Well Carlo is a tall skinny fellow, helps to tuck that tater bug away. I thought his playing on the common fiddle tunes was ok.

jesserules
Dec-10-2017, 11:08pm
The guitar was tending to drown out the mandolin I thought, but as best as I could tell CA was getting a pretty decent chop out of that bowlback.

Interesting, because there are a lot of people on a forum not a million miles from here who say you need a different mandolin for each of bluegrass, old time, "Celtic", choro, jazz ...

Jim Garber
Dec-10-2017, 11:11pm
Carlo plays much of his repertoire including (now) jazz, classical and even Jethro Burns tunes standing and strapless.

Bill McCall
Dec-11-2017, 1:11am
When I’ve seen him play BG, the notes explode off his mandolin. So quick, so clean, so smooth.

The fact he looks like Leon Redbone is another plus.

DavidKOS
Dec-11-2017, 9:36am
A good mandolinist is a good mandolinist - and Carlos is GREAT.

DavidKOS
Dec-11-2017, 9:41am
The guitar was tending to drown out the mandolin I thought, but as best as I could tell CA was getting a pretty decent chop out of that bowlback.

Interesting, because there are a lot of people on a forum not a million miles from here who say you need a different mandolin for each of bluegrass, old time, "Celtic", choro, jazz ...

Or there are those of us that will use Italian style instruments for everything.