PDA

View Full Version : alto clef

hokelore
Mar-10-2004, 7:21am
Does anyone know any mnemonics for learning the notes in alto clef?

Thanks,

Tim

Jim Garber
Mar-10-2004, 8:16am
Well, one is built in to the clef: the clef tells you that the line in the center is C. (The C clef is a moveable clef so that wherever is it indicates C).

The other "mnemonic" is that you move whatever note you are reading in the alto clef up to the next consecutive note, ie, if it is a line up to the next space or vice versa.

Actually it took me only a few days to condition my mind to read the clef. It helps to have your mandola or viola and practice reading with it.

Since I don't play mandola much any more, I would have to relearn.

Of course, then reading treble clef becomes more interesting.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Mar-10-2004, 8:26am
Skip mnemonics altogether, Tim— "crutches for the brain". The alto clef, with its central location of middle-C is one of the most "natural" clefs to learn. It will take no time; just get some music in alto clef, any music, and play through it. The reading skills enter your consciousness by osmosis, as it were. Perhaps you might want to take some tunes you already know, i.e. an anthology of familiar tunes for beginning violists ("Suzuki viola"?...) and work on those first.

Best of luck.

Jim Garber
Mar-10-2004, 8:40am
I do agree with Victor. The best method is to just dive in. There are lots of reading material available. I have a Schirmer's edition of the Bach Cello Sonatas transcribed for viola, for instance.

The "mnemonics" might help tho if you are in the middle stages of reading and start reading the notes as treble clef ones.

Wait! Are you referring to "Every good boy..." type of mnemonic?

Jim

Mar-10-2004, 9:29am
I'm a big believer that there is no one way to learn that works best for everyone.

If you want a mnemoic, one of the books that I read suggested you make up your own - they will be based on your preferences/experiences and more likely to resonate with you. #If you have no experience with "good boys" you might have no idea what they do. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif #I have heard that on the alto clef that the spaces could tell you that "Good Boys Don't Fight" and the lines could mean "FACE God".

hokelore
Mar-10-2004, 9:29am
Wait! Are you referring to "Every good boy..." type of mnemonic?

Yes. It's crossed my mind to just make one up if need be. Seems like people aren't recommending that, though.

Tim

vkioulaphides
Mar-10-2004, 9:44am
[QUOTE]"...people aren't recommending that..."

Oh, "people"... I, for one, am just a crabby, old music theory prof (more crabby than old, I suppose), and one who on occasion has had to teach the dreaded multiple-clef-reading curriculum, much to my students' suffering and horror.

Having said all that, do what suits you best. For my money, however, learning to read the intervals fluently —in any or ALL seven clefs—#far outweighs in benefit any other, alleged "shortcut". And intervals are sooooo easy to recognize, be it in treble or in mezzo-sorpano clef! I'd pass on the (usual) emphasis of line/space recognition as Step One of pitch reading and instead start with what a third looks like, what a fourth looks like, etc. Then the clef-orientation simply falls into place, IMO.

But Tim-n-VA has a valid point, too. See what works best for you. You are located too far to run the risk of ending up in one of my classes. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Victor

Mandolin Fan
Mar-11-2004, 9:59am
I've been trying this program to help my mandola reading...
www.musictheory.net/load.php?id=82
pretty basic, but it works...

Arto
Mar-11-2004, 1:30pm
"in any or ALL seven clefs"...

SEVEN... I thought there are 3 or 4: The treble clef (G), the bass clef (F? sorry, I should know...) and those wierd alto clefs (C?) that you see hanging on different music notation lines... What are the seven?

Arto

vkioulaphides
Mar-11-2004, 1:38pm
Well, Arto, you are partly right: Yes, there are three clef symbols; but, some of them are movable:

1. Treble clef (NOT movable, middle C one ledger-line below the staff.

2. Soprano clef (C-clef, i.e. middle C on the lowest staff-line)

3. Mezzo-soprano clef (C-clef, i.e. middle C on the second-from-the-bottom staff-line)

4. Alto clef (C-clef, i.e. middle C on the middle staff-line)

5. Tenor clef (C-clef, i.e. middle C on the fourth-from-the-bottom staff-line)

6. Bass clef (F clef, middle C one ledger line above the staff)

and

7. Baritone clef (F clef, middle C on the top line of the staff)

Believe it or not, there are in fact sick, demented, deranged individuals (e.g. yours truly) who teach this stuff for a living. The usefulness of these, less known clefs lies in the study of orchestral transpositions.

Aren't you glad this is a mandolin board? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Arto
Mar-11-2004, 2:18pm
Thanks Victor - now I feel I´m really civilized!

Should be nice information to use in "Bluff your way in music" type situations: "So, you really CAN´T play that Soldier´s Joy in that baritone clef?!... oh my... elementary, Watson!"

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Arto

Mar-11-2004, 3:08pm
Victor-

When you teach this interval approach, do you use a text/reference book? Recommendations?

Thanks

JimD
Mar-12-2004, 6:44am
When I teach clefs, I use Manuel Pratique by Georges Dandelot. It begins each clef by giving you exercises to learn to recognize points of reference (C ang G). Then exercises are presented that help you to recognize 2nds and 3rds on either side of thoses Cs and Gs. Finally, it progresses to reading freely on the staff and with ledger lines in increasing tempi.

Since we teach clefs as part of the Ear Training curriculum, I have my students sight sing and take dictation in clefs as well. Most good sight singing books will have at least alto and tenor clef....

After a good intro like that, the best teachers are practice and experience.

It shouldn't take long to become fluent.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Mar-12-2004, 8:11am
Here, here, JimD! Yes, Dandelot is the best text ever in this respect. Trouble is, you have to do some digging to find one, as it is printed in France (Jim, remind me, is it Editions Durand?) and, ehm... it's not quite a "household item" in the homes of most folks— not to mention that it must be the most expensive bit of printed matter on a per-page basis http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif But, as far as I am concerned, Dandelot rules!

JimD
Mar-12-2004, 10:21am
Victor,

So glad you agree about Dandelot. It is pricey though. I am glad I bought mine as an undergrad "a number of years ago..."

The publisher is Max Eschig in Paris.

vkioulaphides
Mar-12-2004, 10:28am
Same thing here, Jim: I still have mine from my grad years at J-Yard; it was the textbook-of-choice obligé. I have seen a newer edition with a somewhat glossy cover. I am, however, reluctant to recommend it to my students on account of its cost.

And yes, I should have known: Max Eschig. I blanked out and "defaulted" to my many and troublesome business-relations with French publishers, with scores being printed by Leduc, licensed by Durand, circulated by Eschig, but subcontracted through Boosey outside of France, only to be PIRATED by every ensemble under the sun!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mar-12-2004, 10:28am
I realize that "pricey" is a relative term but is this the book that you are discussing (link) (http://www.stagepass.com/groupartist/artist_item_detail.hperl?Artist=Dandelot%2C+George s&Invnum=50562759).

This book is in English isn't it? Its been 25+ years since I took French.

vkioulaphides
Mar-12-2004, 10:32am
AHA! See? I am not as senile as I thought!

So, the new edition IS by Durand. Tim, the only Dandelot edition I know of was in French ONLY— you know the attitude: If you can't read French, you have no business in this... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif #

Check and find out. Or, if you wish, I could look it up on the bookstore's shelf and report to you, i.e. whether the Durand re-issue has English text.

On the other hand, the value of the text —in whatEVER language— is minimal. The book is worth its weight in gold on account of the graduated exercises, not the prose.

Ultimately, I am delighted to see a re-issue that is far LESS costly than what preceded it. Thanks, Tim!