PDA

View Full Version : I pulled the plug.

mandolin tony
Nov-29-2017, 9:02am
I ordered a Eastman MD305A from the mandolin store yesterday & it should be going out today. Brian was a great guy to deal with when I told him what I was looking for sound wise. he said he would pick one out for me that had a nice dry woody sound. Dennis is a very lucky man to have such a great employee working for him. $519.00 shipped to New York with a hard case you can't beat that deal with a stick no where no how.

Mark Wilson
Nov-29-2017, 9:34am
I ordered a Eastman MD305A -- $519.00 shipped to New York with a hard case.

Congratulations and Happy picking! Nice first mandolin :mandosmiley:

mandolin tony
Nov-29-2017, 10:13am
thank you, but its not my first. I also have a Loar 600 & a Kentucky 805. its my first A style with a matt finish & that's all I wanted was a mandolin were my hand would not feel like it is dragging on the back of the neck that is under 2 grand. plus I will never be good enough to justify a real good mandolin. I am 62 years old & all my fingers are thumb's.

Mandobart
Nov-29-2017, 11:22am
... all I wanted was a mandolin were my hand would not feel like it is dragging on the back of the neck that is under 2 grand...

Uh, you coulda had that with a pack of 0000 steel wool from the hardware store....I'd send you some for half that price....

Br1ck
Nov-29-2017, 12:54pm
thank you, but its not my first. I also have a Loar 600 & a Kentucky 805. its my first A style with a matt finish & that's all I wanted was a mandolin were my hand would not feel like it is dragging on the back of the neck that is under 2 grand. plus I will never be good enough to justify a real good mandolin. I am 62 years old & all my fingers are thumb's.

Ok.Reality check. You are as worthy of a high dollar mandolin as Chris Thile or Anyone else. Don't delude yourself that you're not. There is no reason on earth not to deplete your bank account.

Luthiers would starve even more than they do now if there was a competency test. We hackers need to do everything we can to keep them in cornflakes.

mrmando
Nov-29-2017, 1:03pm
You mean you pulled the trigger. Pulling the plug is when you get rid of all your mandolins and buy an accordion.

mandolin tony
Nov-29-2017, 1:15pm
I will leave pulling the trigger to my wife. that's a good one, an accordion. I was thinking a banjo.

MontanaMatt
Nov-29-2017, 1:28pm
My initial post was raining on your parade...sorry
Enjoy your new mandolin!

catmandu2
Nov-29-2017, 1:59pm
Congrats!

Dave Sheets
Nov-29-2017, 2:36pm
Enjoy your new Mando! Playing, any playing, is what matters.

BrianWilliam
Nov-29-2017, 5:47pm
You mean you pulled the trigger. Pulling the plug is when you get rid of all your mandolins and buy an accordion.

Heh, that's what I thought too :)

Zach Wilson
Nov-29-2017, 6:59pm
I've been eyeing one too, but I want an oval (md304). Let me know how it plays! .... and congrats :)

mandolin tony
Nov-29-2017, 10:35pm
Zach I will let you know. I just ordered & Ebony truss rod cover with a flower pot on it & a McClung Ebony arm rest from Dough Edwards. this should dress up my little plain Jane real nice.

Eric Platt
Nov-30-2017, 6:10am
Congrats on the mandolin. Sounds like it's a great mandolin. And that's the thing - expensive or not - a great mandolin is a great mandolin.

JEStanek
Nov-30-2017, 4:49pm
Enjoy! I hope it brings you years of joy.

Jamie

dan in va
Nov-30-2017, 8:04pm
Actually, if i wasn't playing mandolin it would be a Hohner 3522 GCF diatonic accordion. i must say the accordion isn't a negative thing to me because i was never exposed to bad playing. Flaco Jimenez' playing rancheros and polkas with a heavy Latino rhythm leaves me speechless...nobody can shake the bellows and play with passion like Flaco. But the thing is so tricky to play that i'll stick with the mandolin.

i hope the mandolin will be a wonderful adventure for you.

yankees1
Nov-30-2017, 8:29pm
Congratulations ! Now the wait begins !! :) Mandolin Store is a great place to do business with !

DougC
Nov-30-2017, 8:31pm
The guys at the Mandolin store are really helpful. They helped to find an instrument for me a year ago and I'd recommend them anytime.

BTW I have lived with banjo players, accordion players and bagpipe players. There should be some kind of award. :crying:

Kevin Stueve
Nov-30-2017, 8:36pm
everytime my wife grumbles about my mandolin, I remind her that bagpipes are an instrument I'd love to learn to play too.

mandolin tony
Dec-01-2017, 12:59am
I also ordered a McClung arm rest in ebony & a truss rod cover with a flower pot & Dough gave me a great deal on the truss rod cover. he is also a great guy to deal with & his work is second to none. I think what he does is art & he is a great artist.

Dagger Gordon
Dec-01-2017, 4:21am
That all sounds petty good to me.
Good for you.

By the way, I am 64 years old and as keen as ever. You need to keep playing to stay young!