PDA

View Full Version : Purchase Input for a Beginner Mandolin

ngrah
Nov-22-2017, 7:50pm
I am purchasing a mandolin for a beginner as a gift and was thinking I could stay under $250, but quickly learned that might be difficult. While I prefer the look of the F it seems that the A might be the way to go in this situation. I was looking at the Washburn M1SDLB A-Style or the Washburn M1K A-Style, but felt like there were mixed reviews. I came across a used Kentucky KM 254 Mandolin with a C-3701 Carrion Hard-shell Case for $300. I have heard good things about the Kentucky Mandolins and the owner has been the only owner, taken care of it, and is ready to upgrade. I'm tempted to go this route over the Washburn options, but would like some input from those with experience. Thank you!

Randi Gormley
Nov-22-2017, 8:29pm
Can't speak to the Washburn, but the Kentuckys get generally good reviews and the one I owned was a very nice instrument at its price point. If this is a gift, you might want to check around locally and see if there's someone who does mandolin setups since even a well-taken-care-of-one-owner mandolin can have its intonation go wonky over time. Just a thought.

HonketyHank
Nov-22-2017, 8:48pm
Kentucky.

The Washburns are most likely going to benefit from a good setup, too, so that aspect is a wash between the two. Kentuckies have a good reputation among the mandolin cafe crowd. As you discovered, the opinions on Washburns are mixed.

Kip Carter
Nov-22-2017, 8:57pm
On the A vs F debate... I own an F and have owned and A. When I purchased my F to replace the A, I was informed that the A's were slightly more playable and not quite as temperamental as the F's. THAT I can't attest to, however, my A was easier to play than my F.

Your mileage may vary....

UsuallyPickin
Nov-24-2017, 8:36am
Mandolins with their short scale and double string courses without a competent setup can become very difficult to play. Yes a quality used "A" model mandolin is available with case for near your price range , an "F" model is not. The Kentucky sounds like a good deal for a well made student level instrument. Here are two near the same price range in the classifieds. Luck... R/ [https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117323#117323 URL="https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117786#117786"]https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/117786#117786[/URL]

allenhopkins
Nov-24-2017, 11:30am
...I was informed that the A's were slightly more playable and not quite as temperamental as the F's. THAT I can't attest to, however, my A was easier to play than my F. Your mileage may vary....

The only difference between A- and F-models, in those terms, are the ornamental additions -- "scroll and points" -- to the rims of the instrument. How these would affect either "tempermentality" or ease of playing, isn't immediately apparent to me.

Different brands of mandolin differ, and within each brand and model, individual instruments differ. What we can offer advice on, from a distance, is construction variables, design to some extent (neck width and profile, e.g.) and general reputation, as we glean it from other owners' experiences that they share on the Cafe.

None of us will ever see or play any of the individual instruments OP's considering. We may have experience with other Washburn M15's or Kentucky KM-254's, but not the ones ngrah may end up buying. The one consistent differentiation between A- and F-model mandolins, is that F-models generally cost more for equivalent quality, because of the additional manufacturing costs of the F silhouette. You pay something extra for the scroll and points.

These threads sometimes cause me a little frustration, since -- with the best of intentions -- all we can contribute from a distance is advice based on our individual experiences -- or even our summaries of others' individual experiences, that we've read about on the Cafe. I've never owned or even played the models that ngrah is comparing; I can tell you want the specs say about construction materials and methods, I can repeat what others have said about the models in question, but, really, how helpful is that?

So: Kentucky mandolins as a rule get higher marks here on the Cafe than Washburns. If the used KM-254 is well-set-up and in good shape, the price is reasonable. Remember, ngrah asked for input from "those with experience." But all the general experience in the world is of limited help when considering a specific instrument.

Sorry to go on at length, but I sometimes wonder how much help I'm actually providing, when I stick my 2¢ in.

Mandobart
Nov-24-2017, 12:51pm
I kind of regret having bought a couple of beginner instruments that I quickly outgrew and replaced. They are almost not worth the shipping cost to sell them. My other instruments sound so much better that I don't even use the beginners for camping/beaters. I really recommend you find the best used instrument in your price range that you can.

Mandobart
Nov-24-2017, 12:56pm
...I came across a used Kentucky KM 254 Mandolin with a C-3701 Carrion Hard-shell Case for $300...

Think I'll pass on the carrion case....:grin:

Cochiti Don
Nov-26-2017, 1:01pm
I kind of regret having bought a couple of beginner instruments that I quickly outgrew and replaced. They are almost not worth the shipping cost to sell them. My other instruments sound so much better that I don't even use the beginners for camping/beaters. I really recommend you find the best used instrument in your price range that you can.

Man I agree with that! My first experience on a mando was a horrible one on a borrowed cheap plywood instrument. The recipient of the gift might give up too easily, in my opinion.

Erok
Nov-26-2017, 1:15pm
I bought one of the inexpensive mandolins (The Loar LM110a from a cafe sponsor) Honestly, I don't know any better, and I think it's fine. Certainly light-years above the Rouge I only owned for a month. I'll never own a $5000 Gibson or custom made instrument, and will likely never even play one, but I don't let it bother me. I've been learning to set my mandolin up the best it can be, and learning how to play it. As long as the instrument can be setup to play correctly, and you like the sound it's fine. I'm not going let the fact that I have an inexpensive mandolin distract me from the joy of playing and learning. My two cents.

colorado_al
Nov-26-2017, 4:56pm
I bought one of the inexpensive mandolins (The Loar LM110a from a cafe sponsor) Honestly, I don't know any better, and I think it's fine. Certainly light-years above the Rouge I only owned for a month. I'll never own a $5000 Gibson or custom made instrument, and will likely never even play one, but I don't let it bother me. I've been learning to set my mandolin up the best it can be, and learning how to play it. As long as the instrument can be setup to play correctly, and you like the sound it's fine. I'm not going let the fact that I have an inexpensive mandolin distract me from the joy of playing and learning. My two cents.

Awesome! Like Erok said - get the best you can afford and get it setup properly, or do the setup yourself. Then play it as much as you can! Enjoy!
What a great gift! You will get more for your money, sound-wise and quality-wise with an A model for the same money. I like the Kentucky 250 series. I think I'd buy that, were I in your shoes. Let us know how it goes. Happy to help the recipient as well!

mandroid
Nov-26-2017, 5:01pm
+1) Seller do pre-delivery set up, or just ship un opened boxes from the import shipment?

Playability from day 1 should help the learning have less barriers.

:whistling:

Bill Kammerzell
Nov-26-2017, 9:31pm
I am purchasing a mandolin for a beginner as a gift and was thinking I could stay under $250, but quickly learned that might be difficult. While I prefer the look of the F it seems that the A might be the way to go in this situation. I was looking at the Washburn M1SDLB A-Style or the Washburn M1K A-Style, but felt like there were mixed reviews. I came across a used Kentucky KM 254 Mandolin with a C-3701 Carrion Hard-shell Case for $300. I have heard good things about the Kentucky Mandolins and the owner has been the only owner, taken care of it, and is ready to upgrade. I'm tempted to go this route over the Washburn options, but would like some input from those with experience. Thank you!

I owned a KM-254. Burgundy Finish. It was a very nice playing mandolin. That sounds like a decent price point. That case is fine for a mandolin in that price range.

Austin Bob
Nov-26-2017, 10:56pm
Think I'll pass on the carrion case....:grin:

Two vultures are on their way to the next gig and board a plane. One has a mandolin under his arm, and a dead rabbit for an in flight snack.

The smell was horrible, so the flight attendant asked if he would like to check the rabbit in the baggage compartment.

"No thanks, it's carrion."