PDA

View Full Version : Mandolele Recently completed by Tukanu

Tukanu
Nov-21-2017, 5:17pm
Hello, I'm new to the café. I have been building ukuleles and dulcimers since 2005 and recently got around to building mandolins. Thank you Graham for your excellent book on construction.

I have owned a few different mandolins over the years, but never got far as a player because of the narrow neck and short scale. So when I built this mandolin I decided to use a concert ukulele size fretboard and 15" scale length. I used Graham's "H" bracing for the top, and cross braced the back. I set the fretboard at the 14th fret to get the bridge more to the center of the soundboard.Also, I used a 10' radius for the back.

Also, I should mention that it is tune GCEA like a ukulele. The strings are32/24/16/14.

I doubled the melody strings and used single strings for the bass strings....6 strings.

<Removed by Moderator. Please review the Posting Guidelines>

Bill Snyder
Nov-24-2017, 9:58pm
Do you have a sound clip or video of it?

Seter
Nov-25-2017, 9:28am
That scale length and string layout is almost identical to a bisernica tamburitza I have (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?135662-My-prim-tamburitza-arrived), except a bisernica is tuned EADG instead of GCEA. I'm sure your mandolele could serve as a bisernica if strung with the proper strings.