PDA

View Full Version : Open Chord Ouch

kvk
Jun-29-2005, 7:59pm
So I mostly play the bluegrass chords, fiddle tunes and simple breaks. Been playing a couple years and I'm beyond beginner but not really intermediate yet.

For change I try to play a little background along with a folk song. So I start fingering the open chords C,G,F,Am trying various strumming patterns letting the notes ring; strums mixed in with appregios, alternating double-stops, etc. My left fingertips are killing me after like 5-10 minutes. I play almost every day so like what's up? Is that with the open chords I have to hold my fingers really upright and I don't have enough calluses on the very tips?

Maybe my mando needs to be a lower at the nut? I can't get a business card under the string at the first fret when fretting the second fret but I can get a piece of computer paper pretty easy.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

_ken

ps

oh one more thing, tring. I had FT74s for a while and change them a few months ago to what I have now, if my memory serves me right, they're Gibson Sam Bush. I remember when I changed, noticing these strings beat on my fingers a lot more. I guess one thing to try is going back to the FTs. Still curious if there's more goin on (like my fingers are wimpy or my mando needs tweeking).

pickinpox
Jun-29-2005, 8:38pm
Is is possible that you are pressing harder with the open chords to get a clear ringing sound? The bluegrass chop doesn't always depend on clean fretting therefore you may be used to a lighter touch. Just a thought. Good luck and I'm sure the callouses will come to the spots they are needed most.

Stillpicking
Jun-29-2005, 9:49pm
Try a set of Thomastick Strings little pricy but they are VERY smooth wound strings and although will not cure all of your problems they are a lot easier on the old finger tips.

I been using them for about 2 years now and although I keep thinking about trying others I can't make the switch, I just like the TIs too much.

kvk
Jun-30-2005, 7:23am
Yeah, I am pressing a lot harder to get a clear ringing sound. Also fingers have to come straight down to clear the open strings on the sides.

I did use TI mittels for a while. They play like butter, have nice tone, and the silver metal with black thread wrap looks cool on my mando. No volume though.

Stillpicking
Jun-30-2005, 5:39pm
Try the "Starks". I also tried the mediums and didn't get the punch I wanted so I got the heavies and there is a difference between the two at least it made a difference on my 2 mandos that I have them on.

357mag
Jul-01-2005, 6:44am
Ken,Im about the same level of playing as you and experience similar problems holding down the strings. Same with guitar. I also experience arthritis in my left hand. To deal with it, I just use light D`Addario J62 strings, and it is a big help. Prolly be a good idea to take the mando in to see if a set up would help.I had to do that with a MK I got this past year from the Classifieds and it was well worth the extra $60.00(including new strings).

Ken Sager
Jul-01-2005, 10:13am
I'd suspect your nut is too high. The true test is any chord that uses the first fret. If that hurts your index finger, or is noticably more difficult than the 2nd or 3rd frets, then your nut is probably slotted too high. Gary Vessel just worked on the nut on my Old Wave and it plays like a dream now. Thanks again, Gary.