PDA

View Full Version : New Gilchrists land at Carter Vintage Guitars

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-14-2017, 9:29pm
Note from Carters just now and a couple of photos. Don't know anything about what was shipped other than all were spoken for Christie's note:

"All arrived safe and sound. Steve, Jo Brooks of Little Satchel straps and Christie Carter."

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-14-2017, 9:41pm
Have a bunch more photos but... KU vs. Kentucky basketball on TV. Priorities. I'll post them later tonight maybe... can't promise. Tomorrow for sure.

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-14-2017, 11:00pm

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2017, 12:04am
65-61, KU over Kentucky.

Oh, sorry, thought we were on Facebook.

:))

Mark Gunter
Nov-15-2017, 12:22am
Some sweet eye candy there :mandosmiley:

I'd love to hear the JUMBO mandolins - what a beaut!

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-15-2017, 12:25am

Billy Packard
Nov-15-2017, 1:59am
Pant, Pant...

Whew..

Huff...unh

Be still, my heart....

Wow

dhergert
Nov-15-2017, 4:32am
Drool...

(Spoken as a true banjo player.)

:mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-15-2017, 4:58am
Well,as long as my a** points South,i'll never be able to afford a Gil.,but there must be some well heeled pickers out there buying them,i wished i was one of 'em !!. Wonderful instruments (by all accounts),
Ivan;)

William Smith
Nov-15-2017, 5:55am
Yes that all looks like a good bit of fun! Thanks for sharing.

Kevin K
Nov-15-2017, 7:54am
I wonder what these new ones sold for.

William Smith
Nov-15-2017, 9:14am
Way TOO much, pry all spoke for and I'd guess 24-26G?

Loubrava
Nov-15-2017, 9:45am
I was in Carters a few weeks ago & got to play a used Gilchrist along with 2 other guys in there we all played and listened to the Gil vs. any other mandolin on the wall (not the ones behind glass) & it was unanimous we all liked the Gil but none of us had the kohennes to buy it. I actually could afford it but my skill level doesn't even come close to deserving it. Carters is a great store glad I had a chance to play all those wonderful mandolins.
Lou

PJ Doland
Nov-15-2017, 10:00am
Is that how we're supposed to be laying our mandolins down, with the fretboards and strings touching the table?

-PJ

Ky Slim
Nov-15-2017, 10:03am
65-61, KU over Kentucky.

Oh, sorry, thought we were on Facebook.

:))

Sloppy effort by both teams IMO :)

mtucker
Nov-15-2017, 10:07am
Is that how we're supposed to be laying our mandolins down, with the fretboards and strings touching the table?

-PJ
if you're PJ Doland, then, no... but if you're Steve Gilchrist, yes! ;);)

MontanaMatt
Nov-15-2017, 10:44am

-PJ

I guess no chance of a finish scratch.

Hallmark498
Nov-15-2017, 10:55am
any close up shots of the dark F5, far right on the table?

Mark Seale
Nov-15-2017, 12:33pm

-PJ

It's the way Gil does it regularly. He says it protects against broken necks and busted pegheads and it's a bit more stable.

mtucker
Nov-15-2017, 1:05pm
F5 Jr.

any close up shots of the dark F5, far right on the table?

jefflester
Nov-15-2017, 8:00pm
I'm curious about the solidbody electric by the Moog sticker. Wonder what that is.

Don Grieser
Nov-15-2017, 8:57pm
Steve's son makes those electric mandolins.

jefflester
Nov-15-2017, 9:45pm
Steve's son makes those electric mandolins.
Cool, I didn't know.
http://www.gilchristguitars.com/victorian-electric-mandolin/

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-16-2017, 3:04am
The Gil.pictured in mtucker's post is jaw droppingly gorgeous !!,
Ivan:disbelief:

Ron McMillan
Nov-16-2017, 3:24am
I doubt if there is another builder alive who can ship more than twenty, top-dollar instruments knowing that they are all bought and paid for. That alone is a testimony to the esteem in which Mr Gilchrist is held. Respect.

AlanN
Nov-16-2017, 7:39am
Fantastic.

And yes, when playing cards and laying the mandolin on a table, I always do face down.

Mark Wilson
Nov-16-2017, 8:43am
A super crop. I am in awe of the time and skill that represents. "Gile Fragile" :cool:

AlanN - I've been laying my mandolin down on tables like that since you first mentioned it way back in a post. Steve reads the cafe I guess

mtucker
Nov-16-2017, 8:45am
Ajr., Steve's new shop dog.

MarkELynch
Nov-16-2017, 8:53am

-PJ

The face downward recommendation comes straight out of the 1923 Gibson Service Handbook.

“When laying instrument down, place face downward, which rests the instrument on strings, thus protecting the finish and preventing dust from gathering in the sound-hole”

AlanN
Nov-16-2017, 8:57am
Yes to the Downward Dog. That way, the only touch points are indeed the nut, bridge top, strings. Plus, it keeps the underside point of the headstock nice and pristine. Take a look at some old F-2, F-4, F-5 mandolins. The underside point is sure to be rubbed off.

blauserk
Nov-16-2017, 9:29am

Can you tell whether the one Steve's playing has a fern or a flower pot?

mandolin74
Nov-16-2017, 11:16am
I checked out all the new Gilchrist's in person yesterday evening. They are all very powerful with their own voice. There were a few I did not touch as requested by owner's. Steve Gilchrist is brilliant and we had a great time testing them and comparing. I believe the new owners will be extremely happy.

mtucker
Nov-16-2017, 11:30am
I checked out all the new Gilchrist's in person yesterday evening. They are all very powerful with their own voice.
What'd you think of that 5jr?

mandolin74
Nov-16-2017, 12:02pm
I was very impressed with it! Stout as a garlic milkshake. I believe it is x braced but had a really good mid range to it. Reminded me of the tone bar middy sound with a nice low end to it also.

mtucker
Nov-16-2017, 12:32pm
Thanks for the run down, Mike. Sure looks purty. I'm going to have to give a garlic milkshake a try! :grin:

I was very impressed with it! Stout as a garlic milkshake. I believe it is x braced but had a really good mid range to it. Reminded me of the tone bar middy sound with a nice low end to it also.

mandolin74
Nov-16-2017, 3:19pm
Thanks for the run down, Mike. Sure looks purty. I'm going to have to give a garlic milkshake a try! :grin:

It is a great mandolin! You will never forget once you try a garlic milkshake :))
Marc

J.Albert
Nov-16-2017, 5:31pm
mtucker wrote:
"F5 Jr."

I find this one as aesthetically pleasing as the "fancy" ones.
What do these go for?
Are they special orders?

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-16-2017, 8:16pm
More photos from Carters...

Mandolin Cafe
Nov-16-2017, 8:20pm
And a couple of son Daniel's electrics.

sgarrity
Nov-16-2017, 8:21pm
Works of art!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-17-2017, 3:57am
What time period elapses between consignments - it seems less than 12 months ago that we read of the last one ?. 'Whatever' - that's a monstrous amount of work.

From J.Albert - "I find this one as aesthetically pleasing as the "fancy" ones.What do these go for ?.Are they special orders ?..

That one would be my personal 'pick of the bunch' - dark,brooding & understated - with my favourite fingerboard inlay !,
Ivan

William Smith
Nov-17-2017, 5:36am
Yes I must say looking at them photos of the Gils I've got a powerful lust this morning! Wow they're gorgeous, and all spoke for! The man knows what he's doing for sure. Them EMandos look killer also! I'd pry get a Gil again as long as it was tone bar, my old 82 X braced just didn't have the "it" factor for me anyway.

mandolin74
Nov-17-2017, 9:02am
What time period elapses between consignments - it seems less than 12 months ago that we read of the last one ?. 'Whatever' - that's a monstrous amount of work.

From J.Albert - "I find this one as aesthetically pleasing as the "fancy" ones.What do these go for ?.Are they special orders ?..

That one would be my personal 'pick of the bunch' - dark,brooding & understated - with my favourite fingerboard inlay !,
Ivan

He was over here last November with the last batch. He takes a few months off before he starts the next batch. That is understandable considering the amount of work he puts in for each batch. He started this batch in March this year I believe. So a good 8 months of work and a total of 19 instruments. I am not sure what the F-5 Jr. goes for. I would recommend getting in touch with Christie Carter at Carter Vintage Guitars. All of the instruments are special order. Meaning the customer orders exactly what they want (type inlay, fingerboard, finish, bracing etc.)

mtucker
Nov-17-2017, 9:10am
it seems less than 12 months ago that we read of the last one ?. 'Whatever' - that's a monstrous amount of work.

Indeed, it seems monumental to do a dozen or so regular-size mandolins at one time, but when you throw 2 full-size 16" guitars and 3 F5 octave mandolins into the mix, that's just mind boggling... the scale (size) of those 5 instruments alone is so much larger! ...that's just a tremendous amount of real estate to have to cover with the kind of attention to detail that Steve's known for.

Cheryl Watson
Nov-17-2017, 2:14pm
Beautiful.

Col George
Nov-17-2017, 3:06pm
Steve is a great guy.. I love my Gils : 99452 , 11693, and 75216.

GB Del Porto, Charleston, SC

Glassweb
Nov-17-2017, 7:25pm
I don't know if there's "intelligent" life somewhere else in the universe, but there is one thing I do know... there's only one Steve Gilchrist. Man, talk about someone finding his place in the universe... unreal!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-18-2017, 4:06am
From mandolin74 - "..So a good 8 months of work and a total of 19 instruments.." That's just over 2 weeks per instrument - that's a truly monumental amount of work,especially if you consider the quality of workmanship. If it was me,it would be 1/8 of an instrument in 19 months & that would be even IF i had the skill,

Austin Bob
Nov-18-2017, 9:34am
I'd love to own one someday, but with retirement creeping up, it doesn't seem likely.

What strikes me most about these pictures is not just his talent, it's his work ethic. From his studies in the US in his early career until now, he seems to be a man that is driven to produce.

He makes more mandolins in 5 years than many do in their lifetime, yet he continues to deliver (literally) the goods. I wish him the best, and congrats to the new owners, may you long enjoy the work of the master.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-19-2017, 4:46am
From Austin Bob - "I wish him the best, and congrats to the new owners, may you long enjoy the work of the master." Amen to that !. I'd just love to play one for an hour or so - just to see (hear !),
Ivan

mandolin74
Nov-19-2017, 2:06pm
From mandolin74 - "..So a good 8 months of work and a total of 19 instruments.." That's just over 2 weeks per instrument - that's a truly monumental amount of work,especially if you consider the quality of workmanship. If it was me,it would be 1/8 of an instrument in 19 months & that would be even IF i had the skill,

I didn't think of it like that but yes that is a monumental amount of work. He is incredibly driven and is so passionate about his work. I got to pick with him and Dan Voight and Jonathan McClanahan last night. Dan and Jonathan are both amazing builders as well. Keep a sharp eye out for these two as they are putting out some great mandolins. Steve has set the bar very high and it was a pure joy having these guys together. Mandolins make this a better world.

LadysSolo
Nov-19-2017, 8:39pm
I'm loving the natural finish A-model - pretty pretty! I would never need that quality of instrument, but eye-candy is always appreciated!

Rosemary Philips
Nov-19-2017, 8:58pm
I checked out all the new Gilchrist's in person yesterday evening. They are all very powerful with their own voice. There were a few I did not touch as requested by owner's. Steve Gilchrist is brilliant and we had a great time testing them and comparing. I believe the new owners will be extremely happy.

So cool! What did you think of the natural finish oval-hole A (Model 1)?

mandolin74
Nov-20-2017, 9:41am

I actually don't remember playing that one. I played the blacktop oval hole which sounded nice.

mtucker
Nov-20-2017, 12:17pm

Hi,
Those are referred to as Model One Juniors.

When Steve completed the original batch of 16 Model 1 Juniors in 2009, they were all very consistent. They have great mid-and-upper tone with a nice clear bottom end, bold, but not tubby like on the original Gibson A models. I think they're much better actually. There are a few Cafe links available from that time period that detail their sound quality, just google Gilchrist Model 1 Junior and they should pop up for you.

mtucker
Nov-21-2017, 4:00pm
Relaxing at home for Thanksgiving after a long week of travel!

Don Grieser
Nov-21-2017, 9:26pm
Congrats!

Let me know when you need a house sitter or a long-time house guest. :grin:

mtucker
Nov-21-2017, 11:06pm
Congrats!

Let me know when you need a house sitter or a long-time house guest. :grin:

Thank you Don. OMG, it's an X-braced monster!

Don Grieser
Nov-21-2017, 11:55pm
I bet it is. Enjoy!!!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-22-2017, 3:31am
Mtucker - You are the proud owner of one of the most stunning mandolins i've seen to date !. The colour,the fingerboard inlay (lack of !) - everything is simply awesome - WOW !!!!!!!,
Enjoy the dickens out of it - Ivan;)

AlanN
Nov-22-2017, 6:54am
Stupendous. Do I count 19 accessible frets?

mtucker
Nov-22-2017, 8:47am
Mtucker - You are the proud owner of one of the most stunning mandolins i've seen to date !. The colour,the fingerboard inlay (lack of !) - everything is simply awesome -
Thanks for your kind words Ivan. I asked Steve for a lightly shaded (Cremona) burst. I think he knocked it out of the park, the color really kicks it up a notch.

mtucker
Nov-22-2017, 9:01am
Stupendous. Do I count 19 accessible frets?

Thanks Alan. Yes, 19 frets. I debated on the scooped Florida but since we deleted the dots, thought it would finish it up nicely kinda like his classic model.

Can't believe how mature it sounds right out of the box. Great mid's and high's, and big punchy lows.

This is my 4th from Steve and I believe his mandolins keep getting better and better... subtle fit and finish improvements (if that's possible for a handmade instrument built by one man) and refined sound. He's really at the top of his game now.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-22-2017, 11:13am
From mtucker - "...the color really kicks it up a notch.". That colour deserves a name all of it's own - i certainly haven't seen anything like it before. The whole instrument simply oozes 'class'. It's the most beautiful Gilchrist i've ever seen. I really can't think of anything else to say,

mtucker
Nov-22-2017, 12:02pm
From mtucker - "...the color really kicks it up a notch.". That colour deserves a name all of it's own

Thanks! In more faint light the center mellows a bit and it looks like a chocolate caramel candy bar! It will never look better than now, so I've been getting my shots in! :grin:

It's got small evo frets (.053") and a flat board so just the way i like it. I prefer the very narrow early Gibson wire (.040") but the nickel doesn't last like this stuff, and I'm not a luthier!;)

mtucker
Nov-22-2017, 12:59pm
Special shout out to the Carter's! Great people and great service! I really like these new Calton cases btw.

Jerusalem Ridge
Nov-22-2017, 3:44pm
Come on, just one tiny soundclip? Pleaseeeee:mandosmiley:

DataNick
Nov-24-2017, 1:02pm
Congrats Bro!

Have we ever met @ any of the SoCal BG festivals?

I'm in North County San Diego and would love to get together for some Mando tasting...

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-25-2017, 2:18am
From DataNick - " I'm in North County San Diego and would love to get together for some Mando tasting... ". Nick - I'll be there before you - ''Get In Line Brother" !!,:))
Ivan;)

PS - If you have a look at Steve Gilchrist's website,you'll be able to read the specs. on all the instruments in this latest consignment, & terrific pics.to go along with them.

mtucker
Nov-25-2017, 4:36pm
Congrats Bro!

Have we ever met @ any of the SoCal BG festivals?

I'm in North County San Diego and would love to get together for some Mando tasting...

Thanks for the congrats Man. I don't think we've ever met.

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
Your moniker is kinda curious though, i may have to DQ 'ya in favor of Ivan in a tasting contest;)

DataNick
Nov-27-2017, 10:35am
No contest implied, just tasting, and I will say that in my experience, Gil's have not been subject to my moniker...lol
Are you going to the Great 48?

mtucker
Nov-27-2017, 12:03pm
Thanks for the heads up, I had to look up the Great 48...shows you how in touch I am.

It's January and unlikely that would take precedence over my annual trek to Colorado. I usually spend 2-3 weeks every January wrecking myself on the slopes.

mandolin74
Nov-27-2017, 4:07pm
Thanks! In more faint light the center mellows a bit and it looks like a chocolate caramel candy bar! It will never look better than now, so I've been getting my shots in! :grin:

It's got small evo frets (.053") and a flat board so just the way i like it. I prefer the very narrow early Gibson wire (.040") but the nickel doesn't last like this stuff, and I'm not a luthier!;)

Congratulations on the new mando. I really liked the sound of this one. The more I look at the color the more I like it.

mtucker
Dec-10-2017, 6:31pm
Thanks Marc, a little playing time this weekend and it's cooperating nicely although still 'lil cranky:crying:
loving the x brace.

HarrisonMandolin
Dec-14-2017, 9:38am
Hi,
Those are referred to as Model One Juniors.

When Steve completed the original batch of 16 Model 1 Juniors in 2009, they were all very consistent. They have great mid-and-upper tone with a nice clear bottom end, bold, but not tubby like on the original Gibson A models. I think they're much better actually. There are a few Cafe links available from that time period that detail their sound quality, just google Gilchrist Model 1 Junior and they should pop up for you.

I completely agree about the Model 1's from this era! I acquired one from the original 2009 batch this year and it is a spectacular instrument. Hope you enjoy your new Gil!!

Perry
Dec-14-2017, 11:14am
I completely agree about the Model 1's from this era! I acquired one from the original 2009 batch this year and it is a spectacular instrument. Hope you enjoy your new Gil!!

Speaking of the lil' devil here's mine with very little playing time on it; long since sold not because it wasn't an awesome mandolin but I'm always "catching and releasing".

https://youtu.be/tz3nCOFsYHc

https://youtu.be/v1ijIdkPG7I

mtucker
Dec-14-2017, 6:26pm
Nice going Perry! Do you ever miss it?

I sold my model 1 a few years back and also my 5 jr (to fund other stuff) but have just replaced the 5jr with another, so it's in the cards for an M1 again some day. I do miss that little bugger...think it's just the best oval I've ever played. Steve hit it out of the park with those, so enjoy the dickens out of it Harrison, it's truly one in a million. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!...

Perry
Dec-15-2017, 9:19am
Nice going Perry! Do you ever miss it?

I sold my model 1 a few years back and also my 5 jr (to fund other stuff) but have just replaced the 5jr with another, so it's in the cards for an M1 again some day. I do miss that little bugger...think it's just the best oval I've ever played. Steve hit it out of the park with those, so enjoy the dickens out of it Harrison, it's truly one in a million. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!...

Thanks...sometimes I wish I had it around but for what I do I prefer F holes. I have a Kimble A5 with a K&K, a Gilchrist Model 5 x braced, and a Mix A5 carbon fiber with a Scherlter and quite a few guitars. I can honestly say I have absolutely no M.A.S. I have toyed with the idea of swapping my Gil 5 for a Gil 3 and getting some cash out of the deal. I am that rare breed who prefers A shaped mandos.

AlanN
Dec-15-2017, 9:28am
Beautiful playing, Perry.