PDA

View Full Version : Kelley two-point mandolin

Skip Kelley
Nov-09-2017, 7:44pm
Here are two videos of my first two-point mandolin. The top is 1850 redwood.

https://vimeo.com/242159462?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=29220

https://vimeo.com/242158780?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=29220&email_id=#share

CES
Nov-09-2017, 8:40pm
Dude, you’re killing me! That looks and sounds awesome!! Very nice, indeed!

Lane Pryce
Nov-09-2017, 9:21pm
I quickly looked at the videos and thought geez that looked like Skip! How are ya man? Lp

Don Grieser
Nov-09-2017, 10:48pm
Thanks, Skip! Sounds amazing.

Skip Kelley
Nov-10-2017, 8:55am
Thanks guys! Lane, I'm good brother; just getting older! How are you?

kyken
Nov-10-2017, 10:21am

https://vimeo.com/242159462?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=29220

https://vimeo.com/242158780?utm_source=email&utm_medium=vimeo-cliptranscode-201504&utm_campaign=29220&email_id=#share
I like that mandolin. That's the one you had at my shop this past summer, right? That is one of the best mandolins I've ever played. Just noticed we have been making similar soundholes! Oh Well!!:mandosmiley:

Drew Egerton
Nov-10-2017, 10:46am
Awesome work Skip! I was just drooling on the pics of it yesterday actually on the MandoMutt site. Sounds great too

Skip Kelley
Nov-10-2017, 7:51pm
I like that mandolin. That's the one you had at my shop this past summer, right? That is one of the best mandolins I've ever played. Just noticed we have been making similar soundholes! Oh Well!!:mandosmiley:

Ken, that's the one. Thanks for the kind words! The sound holes, I guess great minds think alike!;)

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome work Skip! I was just drooling on the pics of it yesterday actually on the MandoMutt site. Sounds great too

Thanks Drew!!

Steve Sorensen
Nov-11-2017, 2:47am
If Gibson had never foisted that cursed scroll on the world we would all be in a happier place with more delightful Two-Point mandolins!

Steve

juneman
Nov-11-2017, 12:28pm
Nice work Skip!

Walter
"JUNE" mandolins and guitars

Skip Kelley
Nov-11-2017, 7:13pm
Steve, you are so right brother! The more I look at a two-point; I wonder why I haven't been making them all along!

Thanks, Walt!

Trey Young
Nov-13-2017, 10:18am
Nice, I certainly dig a cool two pointer and that one has cool oozing from it! Also, sounds great!

Skip Kelley
Nov-13-2017, 7:06pm
Thanks Trey!

Bud Barnwell
Jun-09-2018, 1:01am
Yes sir quite a mandolin! You're a great builder and mandolin player Skip. I'm the proud new owner of it and enjoy every minute of playing it. It's hard to put it down. Thanks Skip

Skip Kelley
Jun-12-2018, 7:08am
Bud, thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you are enjoying the mandolin!

Bogle
Jun-18-2018, 7:22pm
Man, that redwood really pops!

Great build Skip!

Skip Kelley
Jun-20-2018, 8:09am
Thanks, Bogle! I do love the sound that redwood gives a mandolin!

Budrow
Jun-21-2018, 7:38am

Skip I just bought F5 Vintage 2017 #60 Iwould like to talk to you about it. Great mando!

Skip Kelley
Jun-21-2018, 7:50am
Buddy, pm sent.

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-12-2021, 7:40am
It will be mine very soon. :grin: I hope it gets shipped today. I want to thank Skip, Bud and Drew, for responding to my PM's. You guys really helped me out Brothers! :)

Alfons
Jul-12-2021, 10:38pm
Nice - congrats! Post us a sample. :)

I would be grateful if someone can tell me the name of the tune Skip is playing in his first video:
https://vimeo.com/242159462?utm_sour...campaign=29220

I've heard it before and really like it, but can't place it.

Skip Kelley
Jul-13-2021, 11:00am
The tune is New Five Cents.

Mitch Stein
Jul-13-2021, 11:17am
Congrats Bud!
If you wind up enjoying yours half as much as I enjoy mine, you will have a hard time keeping it out of your hands.

Alfons
Jul-13-2021, 12:47pm
Thanks Skip! Funny thing is, I think that's the second time you've answered that for me. :redface:
I started learning it from your video, so hopefully I'll remember it this time.
Turns out I have a nice recording of it by Mr. Steffey, but your solo version is perfect for learning the bones of the tune. Hopefully I'll be able to try it on one of your two-points someday. :)

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-14-2021, 5:55am
Congrats Bud!
If you wind up enjoying yours half as much as I enjoy mine, you will have a hard time keeping it out of your hands.
I see you have the latest one. Mine should be here Monday, July 19th.

JeffD
Jul-14-2021, 11:02am
I love two point mandolins. I especially love asymmetrical two point mandolins.

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-20-2021, 4:02pm
My 2017, Skip Kelley, Offset Two point #063 arrived yesterday. I've only put it down when I went out jogging, slept and ate. I honestly expected a lot when I bought this. Besides all the good stuff I heard at Mandolin Cafe concerning Skip's builds, I had heard Drew's, Kelley F5 at both Swannanoa and the Bibey Mandolin Camp in Surfside, South Carolina. I know that is a great sounding mandolin. However as much as I expected when I purchased this I received even more so.

Right out of the box, after tuning, with older and worn, tarnished strings, the mandolin sounded great. I mean it is really loud, and just crystal clear when you hit the notes. My wife was in another room when I began to play and she thought I was plugged in. Besides the volume it is the clearness of the tone on each note that really jumps out at me. I am really not that good of a musician. However when I play this I can't keep from hitting each note cleanly and clearly.
Last night I finally took the time to change out the strings. I had just bought some Northfield strings from the Northfield web site. Bronze 40 26 16 11. After the string change and putting a tone gard on it, it sounded even better. The intonation was right on also. Just a great mandolin. I would go as far as saying it's the best I have played. Really easily playable. Feels great to hold. Looks really great and obviously well built. The action is lower than I'd ever set the action and there isn't the slightest hint of a buzz anywhere. The chops sound great and it plays well all the way up the neck. I am more than just satisfied and this mandolin exceeded any expectations I had. Here is a picture in a used, mint, Hiscox Pro II that I put it in.
I used the Superior Fiberglass case this came in for another mandolin (Heron Creek) that I have. I'd heard they were not roomy but the other mandolin went into that one easily with a tone gard and arm rest on it. Plus it had plenty of other storage.

urobouros
Jul-20-2021, 6:12pm
Congrats on finding a keeper! I know my Kelley certainly is :mandosmiley:

Don Grieser
Jul-20-2021, 9:25pm
Congrats, Bill. Enjoy that beautiful 2 point!

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-21-2021, 2:20am
Congrats, Bill. Enjoy that beautiful 2 point!
Oh I am Don. Thank you very much. It's one of those rare finds you only dream about.

Drew Egerton
Jul-21-2021, 7:28am
Congrats Bill, glad you are loving it!

Mitch Stein
Jul-21-2021, 7:31am
Congrats Bill

That is one beautiful two-point!!

Bill Kammerzell
Jul-21-2021, 8:58am
Congrats Bill, glad you are loving it!

Hope to catch up with you at Swannanoa or Bibey Camp over the next year or two Drew and you can try it out.

Bill Kammerzell
Sep-30-2021, 8:20am
Recently took the Kelley Two-Point, down to Easton Maryland. The Avalon Theater Foundation, now has an outdoor venue called the Stoltz Pavilion. My mandolin instructor, Ryan Rogers was playing there with his group, the Dirty Grass Players. Ryan owns a Girouard, a Hinde, and a Scott Carey. All three are fine mandolins. Prior to the show, he tried out the Kelley Two point and said it was easily the best two point he'd ever played, as well as a great sounding and great feeling mandolin. He loved the neck. He loved the tone and volume. He was really impressed with it. Considering the mandolins Ryan owns, I was really happy he confirmed my opinion of this mandolin.