PDA

View Full Version : Linear Crystal Amp Value

JimKo
Nov-03-2017, 4:51pm
Helping the widow of a friend sell off his old equipment. His name was Steve Mann and he was the owner of Mann Pro Music. The Mann Pro Music signature product was a Linear Crystal Amp. These were high quality amps with at least 2 models, the Jeff Cook Model and the James Burton Model. Supposedly Chet Atkins used one for years.
The problem is that I cant seem to find any info on them that would help me figure out a fair value for them. Very little on the net about them. It is the 8th image down on this site http://www.thunderfunk.com/History/
If anybody knows anything about them or could direct me to a source that might know something we would sure appreciate it. Thanks for your help Jim

jmkatcher
Nov-04-2017, 12:18am
I suggest asking in the amp forum on TGP - thegearpage.net - where a lot of electric players hang out.

MediumMando5722
Nov-04-2017, 4:46am
I’ve been a regular on an electric guitar forum for almost 15 years, and I’ve never heard of those, either.

Good luck.

Rodney Riley
Nov-04-2017, 6:48am
Going to have to search for the “linear crystal wire”. Don’t believe I’ve ever heard of that type of wire.

Ok, looked it up. Was developed by Hitachi in 1975. Copper crystals are really long with fewer grain barriers/less resistance in a given length of wire.

Jeff Mando
Nov-04-2017, 10:44am
I remember Mann amps being advertised about 15-20 years ago in Vintage Guitar magazine. I believe their slogan was something like "The best guitars amps known to Mann" or close to that. Boutique amp not to be confused with the 60's-70's Mann amps made in Canada by Garnet. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who used one or what the value might be. Looks like they are known among Nashville players. Believe it or not, I would suggest running an ad in the Nashville Craigslist. You might find the "right person" who is looking for one. And I say that as a person who does not like Craigslist, but the Nashville Craigslist is different that any other Craigslist in the country as far as the quality of items being sold, IMHO. Lots of professional, working musicians in Nashville who will pay up for equipment they can use.

JimKo
Nov-04-2017, 2:22pm
Mystery solved. When reviewing the Thunderfunk History site I realized there was contact info at the bottom. I called and had an interesting conversation with Dave Funk, the man behind Thunderfunk Amps. Dave turns out to be the man who built these for Mann Pro Music and told me about the use of crystal liner wire and what made these amps special (super quick response and bright tone). I believe only 3 were ever made. Dave is still building great bass amps.
Thanks to all that helped out with suggestions. Sure appreciate it. It is always fun trying to solve these mysteries. Jim