PDA

View Full Version : Two new Hughes mandolins F-5 builds

Vernon Hughes
Nov-02-2017, 2:08pm
Here are some pics of a couple F-5's I just finished up. One has the customers name in the head stock and the other has mine. Finished the "Bailey" one Oct. 17 and strung up the other today.They are # 4 and 5 for me. I learn something on every one.Guess I'll start a couple more.
16202016202116202216202316202516202616202716202816 2029

AlanN
Nov-02-2017, 2:44pm
Sweet, Vernon. The Bailey looks like it sports a bone nut, yes?

Vernon Hughes
Nov-02-2017, 3:54pm
They are both bone, the bailey nut is unbleached.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-03-2017, 4:24am
Very nice work indeed Vernon. One point, & this is NOT a criticism - maybe use Abalone for the headstock inlays on your next build.
Looking at the photos.,the inlays look a bit too 'black & white' - other than that,they both look superb,& the colour is beautiful,
Ivan;)

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-04-2017, 3:57am
Hi Vernon - Thanks for the 'thanks'. MOP can look a bit like white plastic,i know because i bought a piece to make a MOP truss rod cover for my Weber mandolin a few years back & it was totally without any MOP appearance !. It was flat white & i didn't use it. I had Weber make me one. It was actually made by Bryan England's MOP guys & it's this one. The build standard of your mandolins is obviously very high,& i think that Abalone inlays would simply lift them visually - very lovely work indeed,
Ivan;)

Vernon Hughes
Nov-04-2017, 5:52am
Thanks Ivan! I usually do use abalone ferns but I had the flowerpot hanging around so I put it in this one.The pics really don't do the MOP justice, it has nice bubble to it up close.I think I still have one abalone flowerpot left to use on a future build.Then back to ferns.

stevedenver
Nov-04-2017, 9:47am
I think theres a balance between MOP and abalone. That weber is perfect, not garish, but eye catching with the contrasting bits.

Having had a 70s D41, my eye grew acustomed to the greyish, almost dirty look, with the few , yet coveted , odd bits of blue and green reflections in that MOP.

I guess i associate the bright abalone of today with laser cut, ready made pieces, which while still pretty are different than the old hand cut MOP.

I think your instruments are beautiful vernon. Do you have a link for sound, please?

My later laser cut inlay D41, with lots of blues and greens just doesnt look old, and reminds me of the inlay one sees on some $300 asian instruments.....

Vernon Hughes
Nov-04-2017, 3:51pm
Working on getting a decent video of the both of them, hope to have it up very soon!.

J.Sloan
Nov-04-2017, 5:45pm
Nice work Vernon, they look great!

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of finish did you go with?

Skip Kelley
Nov-04-2017, 6:37pm
Awesome work Vernon!

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-05-2017, 4:04am
From stevedenver - "That weber is perfect,..". Yes,it does look nice. The idea of adding a MOP truss rod cover was inspired by the look of Ronnie McCoury's Gilchrist ( or one of 'em !).

I agree Vernon,getting the light 'right' in order to photo.MOP can be tricky. Sometimes the 'pearly' effect can be very subtle,
Ivan;)

Vernon Hughes
Nov-05-2017, 6:41am
Lacquer