PDA

View Full Version : E. European Mandolin - Trash or Treasure?

Ausdoerrt
Oct-25-2017, 4:48am
I've always wanted to get a European-style mando for my collection - something with a big body, loud and full sound, and preferrably decent looks.

I'm looking at yet another posting on local classfields, and I came across this:

https://olxua-ring01.akamaized.net/images_slandocomua/545549848_1_1000x700_mandolina-latviya-dnepropetrovsk.jpg
https://olxua-ring01.akamaized.net/images_slandocomua/545549848_2_1000x700_mandolina-latviya-fotografii.jpg

The seller claims it was made in Latvia, but I've never heard of Latvian mandolins. The headstock & soundhole shape say Czech, the decorations are German style (copied from Pluckthun waldzithers, to be precise), and painted back & neck make it look like the typical Russian-made Soviet era mandos.

I've already written to the owner to ask for additional photos and other details, but I'm interested to hear what y'all think - worth trying? Waste of time and money?

Pittsburgh Bill
Oct-25-2017, 5:56am
Sorry that I am unable to answer your specific question, but if it is value priced, plays easily, and sounds good may qualify it as a treasure.

colorado_al
Oct-25-2017, 10:29am
I would believe Soviet era Latvian origin

Tavy
Oct-25-2017, 11:57am
As you say the picture is copied from the Pluckthum waldzithers (which are good instruments BTW). Interesting that they haven't scaled the image down to mandolin size - I wonder if the masters went for a wander after the Soviet occupation of East Germany? Or they have simply been sold on to a different maker after Pluckthum ceased to exist?

My guess is that both the fretwork and tuners will require work to get a playable instrument, after that your guess is as good as mine!

JeffD
Oct-25-2017, 12:04pm
Sorry that I am unable to answer your specific question, but if it is value priced, plays easily, and sounds good may qualify it as a treasure.

Yes.

I would treasure such an instrument.

Ausdoerrt
Oct-26-2017, 7:21am
As I thought, this one doesn't ring a bell among the experts here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of trying it out in person, as it's in another town. Guessing it's not worth the hassle and will probably give it a pass, unless I get some hew information from the seller that changes my mind.

tonydxn
Oct-27-2017, 4:49pm
Looks like an East German instrument from the communist era. The frets on these were often inaccurately positioned - which looks to be the case with this one. Unless it's very cheap, it's probably better to avoid it. Similar instruments were also made in Romania.