PDA

View Full Version : Peghead to neck transition

Jim Hilburn
Oct-21-2017, 12:26pm
Man, I need one of those machines that cuts this in one pass instead of me hacking at it for hours.

sunburst
Oct-21-2017, 1:33pm
At least you're getting a nice transition, some don't...
That goes pretty fast for me, I take too long bending sides and fitting braces. Don't know why I can't do those things faster.

Timbofood
Oct-21-2017, 9:22pm
Guys, if it was easy, I’d be doing it!

Marty Jacobson
Oct-21-2017, 10:05pm
Man, I need one of those machines that cuts this in one pass instead of me hacking at it for hours.

Looks great. To be fair, CNC machines also take hundreds, if not thousands, of little cuts to get there. And when things do go wrong, it's a huge chunk of wood out of the neck, which makes it unusable. For some things, there ain't no easy way.

buckhorn
Oct-21-2017, 10:17pm
I've used both traditional transition and thumb bumps and like both.. some thank the bump is a cheap Pac-Rim thing, but it does add a little mass to a weak area of the neck....

billhay4
Oct-24-2017, 10:32am
Look at one of Marty's necks and you'll see why it takes so long and is so difficult even on CNC. His necks have a lovely and quite elaborate transition.
Bill

sunburst
Oct-24-2017, 10:47am
The truth is, I don't think there could easily be a one-pass cutter that would result in a graceful, aesthetic transition from neck shaft to peghead. The curves change too much in too many directions as the transition is made. That's one of the differences between hand made and machined. For production, a one pass set up could be made, but the curves and elegance of the transition would be compromised. We could follow that up with hand work to improve it, but then we're back to the thing that jigs and fixtures so often do; speed up the fast part and leave the slow part as it was.
CNC can do it, in multiple passes, but it is still up to the programmer to install a good transition shape.

Jim Hilburn
Oct-24-2017, 11:06am
My friend who has an addiction to guitars got an early Collings and it looked like it had been done in a single pass, very sharp and angular. And the heel point was like a razor.

Matt Harris
Oct-24-2017, 11:15am
Looking good Jim.

I've always been a fan of the look of a backstrap transitioning into the neck. Here's the neck to the mandola I'm working on: