PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Builders Today...

Mar-09-2004, 7:16pm
Every year or so i enjoy this discussion to see who folks would place into "The Top Ten Elite Builders" of mandolins today. There appears to be a pretty well established Top 3 Who would be your top 10 mandolin builders? Just for Fun...

odeman
Mar-09-2004, 7:46pm
I would have to vote for Bruce Webber, Lynn Dudenbostel (sp?) and Jim Triggs

Mar-09-2004, 7:47pm
Ok. I bite http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif No particular order though.

Dudenbostel
Gibson
Gilchrist
Nugget
Kimble
Tucker
Collings
Randy Wood
Apitius
Duff

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2004, 7:52pm
Gotta throw in two of my personal faves:
Pete Langdell (Rigel)
Michael Lewis

mahlboogie
Mar-09-2004, 8:08pm
Ward Eliott, Bob Snieder, Don Paine(pomeroy mandolins)

Danny Clark
Mar-09-2004, 9:17pm
How about John Paganoni ? i think he deserves to be among the top!

Lee
Mar-09-2004, 9:23pm
Phoenix should be an entry for sure. Rolphe does incredible work. His use of new technology, original design, superb detail, are all outstanding. #Plus, from a marketing standpoint he's able to cover a wide range of musical genres with one cohesive product line.

mad dawg
Mar-09-2004, 9:27pm
When it comes to Bluegrass axes, my vote goes for anyone doing something different: Monteleone, Holst, Devil's Dream, BRW, Phoenix, Rigel, etc. (Admitedly, of this group I have only played a Rigel, but I am a big fan of innovators and envelope pushers.)

For Celtic instruments, Stephan Sobell is on the top of many lists, as well as mine, and I really am enjoying my Freshwater (can you say sustain?!?!)

Lee
Mar-09-2004, 9:51pm
It's not fair to compete the team "Big Builders" against the one person shop. Should we also break out musical genres?
Sobell vs. Gibson isn't meaningful.

Will Kimble
Mar-09-2004, 10:13pm
My favorites:

Gilchrist
Dudenbostel
Nugget
Monteleone
Heiden
Woodley
Gibson
Collings

doc holiday
Mar-09-2004, 10:22pm
Let's not forget Michael Heiden
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Doc

jessboo
Mar-09-2004, 11:13pm
Elen's favorite #Hans Brentrup , John Sullivan and Lloyd Laplant. And second the call for Ward Elliott http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

THP
Mar-09-2004, 11:21pm
In no special order my vote is
San Jaun
Gibson
Gilchrist
Hutto
Glen Cecil
Triggs
Heiden
Smart
Ratcliff
Nugget
there is so many!!!
Anthony
www.hickoryproject.com

BigJoe
Mar-09-2004, 11:47pm
Hey Will! You are supposed to have "Kimble" in your list!!! I may well put it there. I'm not allowed to mention my favorite, and I'm sure its a secret to most http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . I'd have to add Gilchrist, Duff, LaPlant, Hans Brentrup, Fletcher Brock, Rigel, Michael Lewis, and Loyd Loar!

mandocrucian
Mar-10-2004, 12:16am
Mandolin Builders (http://www.mandolincafe.com/builders.html) page on the MandoCafe
This is the most comprehensive list of mandolin family builders on the internet and currently includes 774 listings. This might include acoustic, electric, octave, roundback or other related styles of mandolins.

How many people have actually played instruments (including briefly) made by 15 or more of the name custom builders? 20? 30? more? less? #

That's really a pretty small sample to be selecting a Top 10 list from. What about the master Brazilian builders? (different sonic goal) #Traditional Greek bouzouki makers? #They're out there, because I've seen certain names on those type of forums spoken with reverence (but I can't remember any of the names). #What country? # Otherwise it seems that this is a merely poll of most-est publicity - the names folks have heard of most will get listed the most, just like the annual Playboy musician poll. (...and the winner for guitar is.....for the 35th year in row...Eric Clapton!)

Let me think of builders whose instruments I've actually plunked on, even if briefly:
Stiver, Gilchrist, Wayne Henderson, Monteleone, Paganoni, Bluett, Coombe, Kimble, Sawchyn, Weber, Lawrence Smart, Heiden (maybe), Dudenbostel, (old) Unicorn and Phoenix (Rolf Gerhardt), OldTree (Nick Tipney in NS), Randy Wood, Ratcliff, Sobell, Red Diamond (MacRostie), Tim Ellis, Bussman, Rigel, O'Brien, .... there's more but I can't recall the names of makers. #I can't remember or not if I've plunked on a Vanden or a Rob Armstrong.

Some of those builders, I've plunked on several different instruments they made. Others, it's just been a single instrument, and I wouldn't make any overall assessments on just one instrument.

I've liked most every Stiver I've played on. I've played on at least a half dozen different Gilchrists, and the two roundhole A models grabbed me personally a lot more than the F5s; but that's my own sonic bias. Sawchyn made a real good sounding A2 copy. I liked Doyle's Paganonis; I played on a Smart A50 (f-hole) which I thought was excellent and which made me think of the Pags. The Phoenix neo-celtic was a really nice and very responsive instrument. Sobell octave mando - great sound. #But all the intruments were really nice, but some that other folks might be rapturous over - excellent worksmanship but maybe not the sound/response that I'd be looking for if I was buying.

Niles Hokkanen

djeffcoat
Mar-10-2004, 1:31am
I have personally seen and heard Gibsons, Gilchrists, Nuggets, MOnteleones and Woodleys (the last two of which I own models). #All sounded great. #The Gilchrist, IMHO, was the best. #It is an individual and subjective thing. #Aren't we lucky to live in a period when there are so many great builders to choose from?
DJ

jasona
Mar-10-2004, 1:57am
How many people have actually played instruments (including briefly) made by 15 or more of the name custom builders? 20? 30? more? less? #
Interesting challenge Niles. Lets see...and keep in mind that I am still quite green as a player, and my ear is still learning what I like to listen to...so take my pronouncements as the happy ravings of a mando newby.

Gilchrist (X-Braced), couple of Capeks, several Old Gibson As, Randy Wood Gibson F12 conversion, Heiden, Ratcliff, Sumi, Givens, Givens Legacy, Gibson F5G and A5L, Collings MF5, Summit, Apitius, Sobel, Pomeroy. 15 in total. Can I count a Weymann mandolute here? ;) Think thats it for the custom makers. (Then there are the botique manufacturers like Rigel (A+, A Nat, R100), Weber (Yellowstone, Absaroka) et al.)

The Gilchrist had amazing bell-like highs; it, the Givens and the Wood had wide open tone and amazing responsiveness; the Wood had power in its chop I've never heard duplicated--although the A5L wasn't too far off. The Sobel sounded like a cathedral (and I really really want one of these when my playing deserves it). The Apitius was very woody; the Heiden very well balanced tonally and super easy to play. The Collings was perfect in all aspects of manufacture--the tone was tight (it was brand new) but I had the feeling that it would open up into a beautiful mandolin. The Summit already sounded played-in brand new and I expect it will give that Wood a run for its money in about 20 years. And my Ratcliff promises me a Nugget-like tone when it fully opens up--which has me delerious with joy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

All are different, all great in different ways, and it really comes down to which feels best in your hands and sounds best to your ear.

craig
Mar-10-2004, 9:09am
[quote]. . . that's my own sonic bias. . .
Niles Hokkanen
very well stated, Niles. i'll have to remember that one.

craig

Jim M.
Mar-10-2004, 11:03am
Some of my sonic bias:

Phil Crump and Stephen Owsley Smith should be on the list. They aren't bluegrass mando builders but their finish work, design, and tone are first-rate..

danb
Mar-10-2004, 11:15am
I'd list these builders.. whose mandolins I've tried at least one of over the years..

Stephen Owsley Smith: Most perfect "Celtic style" or Lyon & Healy like tone..
Nugget: Best overall tone IMO, bassy & punchy. A mandolin for the desert island!
Gilchrist: Best balance & clarity, sound superb in ensembles
Bill Bussman/Old Wave: best tone from an oval-hole or "improved snakehead" tone
Rigel: most reliably & consistently good mandolins at all price levels
Gibson: classic tone, esp in the few MMs I've tried. Also has some general "Mojo" about it!

Mike Buesseler
Mar-10-2004, 11:16am
I sure don't have the experience or expertise to make up such a list, but I do have a quote from someone who IS.

Simon Mayor said in a personal email to my playing partner, "I consider Mike Vanden to be among the top 6 builders in the world." #

I personally think Mayor is in the top 6 players in the world, so I take this with authority. #

Has ANYone here played a Vanden?

mandofiddle
Mar-10-2004, 11:36am
After seeing and hearing some of Jim Hilburn's mandolins, I'd have to throw his name out in my top ten as well. He's on the top of my list next time I have enough money for another mando...

Dfyngravity
Mar-10-2004, 12:15pm
I would have to include Don Mac Rostie in there some where. He is def. making a pretty sweet axe.

Lee
Mar-10-2004, 12:18pm
High end mandolins I've personally lived with:
Stiver 10-string F
Bruce Taggart A
Paul Newson A
Kentucky Dawg mandola A
Laura Ratcliff A
BRW A
Collings MT2 A
Phoenix Deluxe
If I had to keep just one (and if it was in better condition) I'd take the Paul Newson. Volume, tone, playability, eveness, workmanship; it's all there. Maybe mine's a fluke but I've never heard a bad word said.

bluegrassjack2
Mar-10-2004, 12:46pm
For the money, I doubt there is a better mandolin built than by Glen Cecil in W. Va. Glad to see where he was mentioned in THP's msg.

pickinNgrinnin
Mar-10-2004, 1:51pm
Mandolins I've played that I would like to own but can't/don't:

Dude #5
Monteleone Grand Artist
Collings F both versions
Flatiron F5 Master
Bill Davis F
An old Gibson F4
Gibson Fern
Gibson Bush
Weber Fern
Weber Beartooth
Summit 200F

Actually....I've liked most of the ones I can't afford http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mad dawg
Mar-10-2004, 1:57pm
Good question, and in my own case, far less. I have played many larger builders' models -- and some smaller builders' too -- that are accessible in acoustic music stores, plus those owned by friends, instructors, etc. Beyond that, I have developed my own "sonic bias" (great expression, BTW) based upon playing these, as well as hearing other small and large builders' instruments in live venues and on CD.

Since it is far easier to see than play products from other small builders (thanks in large part to to the internet), I have a well developed "aesthetic bias", leaning towards builders offering instruments that depart from the standard F-style and A-style models and/or colors. (Admitedly, viewing pics via the web, and asking for feedback in discussion forums, are far less effective evaluation tools than actually touching, playing, and hearing an instrument in person.)

mandopete
Mar-10-2004, 5:40pm
Well. let's see, here's my list:

First mandolin was a Flatiron F-5 SB that I still own today. #One of the last out of Belgrade Montana and I can say that I have seen quite a few Flatirons in my time and many of the early (Carlson signed) examples are wonderful.

Second mandolin was Lawrence Smart F-5 ('97) that I purchased used from the 2nd owner. #It's a nice mando with a gentle radius to the fingerboard and quite a bit of bark. #I showed it to Lawrence and he commented that it was probably not the best example of his work. #I've played quite of these mandolin as well and all were nice.

Third mandolin was a Collings MF-5R, puchased about one year ago. #To me, Collings is the epitome of what a "production" mandolin shoud be. #I have #39 and I've played several in #100 range and they are all remarkably consistent. #I've played a few of the A models as well and they are gems too!

Fourth mandolin (puchased a couple of weeks ago at Wintergrass) was a #Fletcher Brock A-Style oval-hole. #IMHO, Fletcher is going to be the builder to watch. #He recently completed a blond F-Style mandola for a friend of mine that is a real beauty. #I have also played one of his octave mandolins and if I decide to pursue the low end of mando-sonic spectrum, I suspect Fletcher would be the place to go.

For builders that I have not owned, here's my short list:

Michael Heiden
Jim Hillburn
John Sullivan
Jamie Wiens

odeman
Mar-10-2004, 9:51pm
'Pretty stunning lists. I get the feeling that we're smack dab in the middle of the "Golden Age of the Mandolin".

2partinvention
Mar-11-2004, 10:39am
Dude what about Ondra Holoubek !!

My list :

Ondra Holoubek!
Lynn Dudenbostel ~~~~~~~~(only becaue ive played chris's)
Pavel Janish #~~~~~~~~#(prenounced like Yanish)
Steven Gilchrist ~~~~~~~(the older ones)
John Monteleone #~~~~~~~(some)
Fletcher Brock

In no particular order #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Spruce
Mar-11-2004, 1:02pm
"'Pretty stunning lists. I get the feeling that we're smack dab in the middle of the "Golden Age of the Mandolin". "

Yeah, try making a list like this 25 years ago....
Uhhh, lemeesee.....

Frank Russell
Mar-11-2004, 1:11pm
I'm still thinking about the Kettler mandolin I heard last year. So loud and monster tone. I don't think this fella builds anymore though. Frank

Jim Roberts
Mar-11-2004, 2:20pm
I think Ward Elliott's work is easily in the the top five. #The Elliott A model that Ken Cartwright advertised here lately is the first used Elliott I've ever seen come up for sale on the Cafe...how many other buiders can you say that about?

Cheers.

WJF
Mar-11-2004, 2:55pm
Of those that I've played (and owned / own) I'd have to put Monteleone & Smart at the top of my list with Gilchrist and others following thereafter ...

That would be my "sonic bias" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I have a few faves that I feel pretty strongly about in the "up and comer" category as well but That's another thread ....