PDA

View Full Version : Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

Markkunkel
Oct-07-2017, 4:56pm
About two years ago in a fit of downsizing I foolishly sold this unique and wonderful Girouard A5, lacquered redwood over spectacular quilted maple:
These pieces of playable art come and go, for many of us, and that is the deal. No "holy grail" search for me...just trying to play and enjoy them while I still can. But this one was special, in appearance and tone and memories for my wife Jeanette and me. We play in a little acoustic duo with a looper for coffee houses and farmer's markets and benefits and have a great spiritual time of it. And that Girouard had made some dear memories.

So about three weeks ago I posted a "want to buy" ad on the 'Cafe with the picture above, having misplaced the e-mail of the person to whom I sold the mandolin. I didn't really expect much, knowing what a beautiful instrument it is and how much its new steward was enjoying it. But within a very little while Max Girouard e-mailed me and let me know that he had been in touch with the present owner, and offered to put him in touch with me. I received an e-mail from another kind 'Cafe member as well who knew the owner and also volunteered to help us be in touch.

And within a very few days I heard from the present caregiver and steward of this wonderful instrument. He plays it almost weekly and has used it in recording, and in his initial e-mail he let me know that he had considered it a life-long keeper. But he sensed the attachment I had conveyed to the instrument, and its role in our musical story, and said, "I understand, and sometimes they need to find their way home. Let's find a way to make that work." Wow. And without making a penny of profit, he sold it back to me and this morning it kept us company in our playing for the 50th reunion of the psychology department in which I teach:
What a sacred and wonderful time we had of it, and Jeanette and I both commented after that having this instrument back certainly lent a grateful and sensitive tone to the music, and the music to the gathering.

I'm just wanting to celebrate the 'Cafe (to which I have made the customary donation), the kindness of Max and others who helped, and especially the generosity of this community and those who prize spirit and music-making over instruments as possessions. Thanks especially to you, Dale. In times when it's easy to be discouraged for all kinds of darkness, these acts of kindness cheer indeed.

Happy, indeed,

Mark

Luna Pick
Oct-07-2017, 5:35pm
Great story about musical priorities and the mandolin community, and it's icing on the cake the mandolin found its way back.

I feel kind of the same way about a mandolin I sold a few years ago, wish I still had it, but I think the "present caregiver" enjoys it, and that's what really counts.

DougC
Oct-07-2017, 5:50pm
Wow what a story. And thank you, Mark for sharing it in such a nice way. The icing on the cake for me are the pictures.

I wonder if other instruments have made it "home" to their earlier owners? Yoyo Ma has a good cello story, but mandolins? This is the best I've heard.

Make some more memories with it Mark!

Victor Daniel
Oct-07-2017, 10:22pm
Glad you found it Mark. It looks like a real beauty.

40bpm
Oct-07-2017, 10:51pm
So I'm not the only one that's sold an instrument only to regret it later. :)

Thanks for posting a great story. Pix are excellent.

Don Grieser
Oct-07-2017, 11:01pm
Great story! Thanks for posting.

Pittsburgh Bill
Oct-08-2017, 1:23am
Thank you for sharing this story. It is so nice to hear good news when our media bombards us with bad news.

Mandoplumb
Oct-08-2017, 7:33am
Great story and I think the one you sold it to and bought it back from deserves a round of applause. Just confirms my opinion that mandolin players are special people.

Jill McAuley
Oct-08-2017, 1:01pm
Wonderful story - so glad that all worked out! Your original post about wishing you'd never let it go had gotten me started wondering about instruments I wish I'd hung on to. What a rare thing to actually get the one that got away back!

Bill Kammerzell
Oct-08-2017, 4:32pm
The one that got away from me was a no frills Breedlove Premier OF (2014). For a long time the best and loudest mandolin I had owned. Sold it to make room for a new build that turned out to be a real disaster. Tried buying it back or trading for it to no avail. Recently I bought a mint condition, A/E, Breedlove Legacy OF (2015) that was on consignment at Elderly. Not the same mandolin but a terrific replacement.

JEStanek
Oct-08-2017, 4:46pm
Thanks for sharing that. That's a wonderful story.

Jamie

Nick Gellie
Oct-19-2017, 5:21am
Can you let us know what the owner bought instead with the money he got. Another Girouard mandolin perhaps?

Markkunkel
Oct-20-2017, 6:18am
Can you let us know what the owner bought instead with the money he got. Another Girouard mandolin perhaps?

Thanks to all again for your comments. This mandolin continues to feel at home.

Perhaps the former owner will weigh in, Nick, but I will say that he is a huge fan of blacktop mandos, and I think Mowry and Ellis and maybe another candidate are on his radar.

Mark

fatt-dad
Oct-20-2017, 6:45am
Thanks to all again for your comments. This mandolin continues to feel at home.

Perhaps the former owner will weigh in, Nick, but I will say that he is a huge fan of blacktop mandos, and I think Mowry and Ellis and maybe another candidate are on his radar.

Mark

. . . and the Tim O'Brian mandolin too!

f-d

Mandobar
Oct-20-2017, 7:08am
Mark, I believe the former owner has a few Nuggets and some other pretty high end mandolins.

OlDanTucker
Oct-23-2017, 12:18pm
I have the other side of the problem.
I can't let them go unless they are ripped out of my hands covered in claw marks. Even the not so good ones that might have some nebulous sentimental value. So far it's thwarted my efforts to upgrade. And made for a very full closet.

smokinop
Oct-25-2017, 10:50am
Great story, Mark. And a huge "attaboy" to the owner for doing the right thing!

Tavy
Oct-25-2017, 11:49am
Great story - and it looks like you were really have fun with it too which is what it's all about!