PDA

View Full Version : Modestly Priced Nylon-String Tenor from Thomann

Escaped Cellist
Oct-02-2017, 11:21am
Thomann now carries a Thomann-branded nylon-string tenor guitar. Made in Europe. Solid spruce top, 22.6" scale. There's only one review, which notes the neck is a bit wider than desired. It does look like it has that Eastwood Warren Ellis style string spacing that gets wider as you approach the bridge.

Still, considering there are not a lot of options in the nylon tenor guitar department (Pono for 3x to 4x the price, string a ukulele for 5ths tuning, custom order one from A.P. Carvalho, or custom luthier-built), this looks like a welcome addition to the field for not too many ducats.

I'm guessing it might be manufactured for them by Hora. Anyone tried it?

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_tenor_guitar_standard.htm

fox
Oct-02-2017, 1:40pm
Good find, although I wonder what defines it as suitable for nylon strings?

Escaped Cellist
Oct-02-2017, 2:00pm
Good find, although I wonder what defines it as suitable for nylon strings?

Good question. It does at least have the most basic requirement with an appropriate bridge for nylon strings.

But whether it's as lightly built or braced as a classical guitar, they don't bother to say.

Rodney Riley
Oct-02-2017, 2:02pm
Think it's the ADGH tuning that qualifies it for nylon strings.
That H note is hard to reach with steel strings. LOL

Gary Leonard
Oct-02-2017, 2:31pm
German musical notation includes an H. From what I can glean, it's pretty much a B.

jesserules
Oct-02-2017, 2:32pm
Think it's the ADGH tuning that qualifies it for nylon strings.
That H note is hard to reach with steel strings. LOL

H is German for what most of the rest of us call B natural. So, ADGB, like the middle four strings of a standard-tuned 6-string. Which seems odd, most tenor players are CGDA or GDAE, or sometimes DGBE. But ADGB?

jesserules
Oct-02-2017, 2:34pm
German musical notation includes an H. From what I can glean, it's pretty much a B.

Hey, no fair posting while I'm typing! :crying:

Rodney Riley
Oct-02-2017, 2:40pm
Wow! In't this the most amazing site? Thanks for the information. Since apparently I've never seen German music scores/notations I would never of known this without Cafe members. Thanks guys

fox
Oct-02-2017, 3:16pm
Good question. It does at least have the most basic requirement with an appropriate bridge for nylon strings.

But whether it's as lightly built or braced as a classical guitar, they don't bother to say.

Well lets hope it is but anyway, considering that most production guitars are overbuilt it might sound nice with steel strings! (with a new nut of course)

Tim N
Oct-02-2017, 5:04pm
I've been told that the use of H in Germany for B is simply the result of a copying or printing error at some point in history, but I also believe this version is disputed. You get used to it. And the sometimes they don't , cos they prefer to be English. And if you google it it gets a bit more complicated... I don't think the guitar itself cares!