PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Composer Dates

Neil Gladd
Oct-01-2017, 6:45pm
Hi does anyone have birth and/or death dates for these mandolin composers?

Stellario Cambria (1874- after 1925) (1925 was the date of his last registered copyright)

J.Robert Morris

Will D. Moyer

George Muder

Thanks!

jelhai
Oct-02-2017, 10:42am
Neil, this Find a Grave listing (https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=48130961) suggests that the dates for George Muder may be 1864-1936.

Joe Bartl
Oct-02-2017, 11:58am
Will Moyer (1872 – 1939) was a major composer and arranger for string instruments. In 1901 Moyer’s Modern Mandolin Method was published in Indianapolis, followed by numerous publications for mandolin, guitar, Hawaiian guitar, ukulele, 5 string, plectrum and tenor banjo. Moyer also taught and conducted mandolin groups in his native state of Pennsylvania. The publisher of this piece, William C. Stahl (1869 -1941) was one of the major publishers of string music during the ragtime era. Born in Weston, Missouri, he later moved to Milwaukee where he set up his publishing company. At the time of his death, a large amount of mint unsold music remained. His daughter hauled it to the dump assuming it was worthless.
https://ragtimeskedaddlers.bandcamp.com/track/easy-money

Joe Bartl
Oct-02-2017, 12:02pm
Stellario Cambria was a mandolin virtuoso and mandolin teacher who was active in New York between 1900 and 1925, he died in 1938
http://www.mandoisland.de/noten2013/MTR/music-stellario-cambria.html#.WdJwqUyZNYc

Neil Gladd
Oct-02-2017, 1:07pm
Thanks, both of you! I have a lot of their music, and am preparing to reprint some of it, so I wanted to include the dates, if I had them.

Mandophile
May-03-2018, 11:23am
Sorry, too late to help Neil. second edition? My research for my book yielded that Maestro Stellario died September 12, 1929.
the spelling of Stellario's name has so many orthographic/typographic varitaions, it is a challenge to track him:
Stelano, Stellano, Sallario, Stilleris etc
my endnote citation:
Glen Cove Record, microfilm reel, GCR, 2. Compiled by Denise Lamere & Mary Graves. Cambria’s estranged wife would die at the age of 111. (I wonder if she was in the Guiness book? hmmmm)
BTW, a p.s. Neil's missing date for Vincent Leon: He died 1944 in Los Angeles (as did his son Vincent a couple of decades later) all will be revealed...

Neil Gladd
Nov-14-2018, 4:56pm
Sorry, too late to help Neil. second edition? My research for my book yielded that Maestro Stellario died September 12, 1929.
the spelling of Stellario's name has so many orthographic/typographic varitaions, it is a challenge to track him:
Stelano, Stellano, Sallario, Stilleris etc
my endnote citation:
Glen Cove Record, microfilm reel, GCR, 2. Compiled by Denise Lamere & Mary Graves. Cambria’s estranged wife would die at the age of 111. (I wonder if she was in the Guiness book? hmmmm)
BTW, a p.s. Neil's missing date for Vincent Leon: He died 1944 in Los Angeles (as did his son Vincent a couple of decades later) all will be revealed...

Thanks for the death date on Vincent Leon, I have so little information about him!

Mandophile
Nov-28-2018, 1:43pm
buy the Heroes book and you'll learn more than you think. I'm still astonished at how rich their lives were and what active lifestyles they enjoyed.

Mandophile
Mar-02-2024, 1:33pm
Hey Neil and other curious minds,
glad I was able to help but as you know from having read the Vincent Leon chapter in IMHIA, I left Leon in limbo. Pieces of his puzzle were missing. Well, thanks to tenacity and my last venture into Curti's life, I am pleased to say that I have now filled in the vacuum in Leon's life. It was a Eureka moment or two this week when I discovered that Leon changed his last name, abandoned his wife and children and found a delicious young woman! I'll save all the salacious tidbits for my upcoming book which will cover Curti's immediate colleagues. Stay tuned. I hope to have it availabe by summer if all goes well. It continues to be an amazing adventure following these Italian mandolinists.