PDA

View Full Version : Favilla Mandolin???

astein2006
Sep-29-2017, 3:01pm
Hi all. There is a Favilla Mandolin on sale near me but I can't get a copy of the photo to post here. I'm interested in buying but I don't know much about Favilla or this model. I'll try and describe it.
It is an A shape, natural finish, round hole(not oval), white pick guard that appears to have two screws holding it in place ( not sure if this or was standard for mandolin pick guards), it appears to be a flat back and possibly flat front. Although there is only a photo from the top not the side. Very plain. It almost looks like a Flatiron 1N but it clearly has the Favilla decal on the headstock.
Can anyone shed any light on what this model might be, its quality, value etc etc or Favilla in general?
Thanks.

NursingDaBlues
Sep-29-2017, 3:16pm
You might check these older threads:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?86366-Favilla-catalogs

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127427-Favilla-Mandolins

MikeEdgerton
Sep-29-2017, 3:40pm
There are Favilla mandolins that fit into the Strad-O-Lin genre. From what you describe it sounds more like it might be closer to a Martin Style A mandolin. Favilla seemed to shadow martin models in later years. Without a picture it will be hard to tell you what you have.

astein2006
Sep-29-2017, 3:59pm
There are Favilla mandolins that fit into the Strad-O-Lin genre. From what you describe it sounds more like it might be closer to a Martin Style A mandolin. Favilla seemed to shadow martin models in later years. Without a picture it will be hard to tell you what you have.
Are the Favilla's that shadowed those Martins any good?

astein2006
Sep-29-2017, 4:03pm
I forgot to mention it looks like the tailpiece is on the edge not wrapping itself up onto the front. Not sure if that helps.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-29-2017, 4:03pm
Favilla built decent guitars, ukes, and mandolins. They are generally under-priced in the market. I can't really tell you much about it if I can't see it and if you can play the instrument you should make a determination yourself. You're talking about 90 years or so of production.

astein2006
Sep-29-2017, 7:27pm
Favilla built decent guitars, ukes, and mandolins. They are generally under-priced in the market. I can't really tell you much about it if I can't see it and if you can play the instrument you should make a determination yourself. You're talking about 90 years or so of production.

here is the link to the model. let me know your observations and opinion please
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/43857707

MikeEdgerton
Sep-29-2017, 8:54pm
Honestly that appears to be Favilla's attempt to copy a Harmony mandolin. That brace at an angle inside doesn't sit well with me. I think it's beyond what I'd pay for it but YMMV.

allenhopkins
Sep-30-2017, 2:51pm
Favilla instruments that I've seen have been well-made, generally underpriced, good value for the money.

This one doesn't look up to the standards I've seen in Favilla guitars and ukuleles. Late in the history of Favilla, around 1970, they started importing instruments under their brand; the Wikipedia article says the imported instruments didn't have the crest on the headstock, but looking at this electric, (https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p679/1955_Favilla_Mandolin.html) which appears "generic Asian," I wonder...

In any case, $150 or so isn't a lot of money, and a good playable Harmony at that price wouldn't be a swindle. Now, if you could find this one (http://oldfrets.com/Favilla.html) for $150...!

astein2006
Sep-30-2017, 4:40pm
do you think its most likely laminated wood? Its funny because I have yet to see another photo at all anywhere on the internet of a Favilla that looks like this. I understand its probably not the highest quality but for $150 it may be worth to get it up to playing quality. it appears to be missing the tuner bushings . I wonder which ones I need.

astein2006
Sep-30-2017, 4:42pm
Favilla instruments that I've seen have been well-made, generally underpriced, good value for the money.

This one doesn't look up to the standards I've seen in Favilla guitars and ukuleles. Late in the history of Favilla, around 1970, they started importing instruments under their brand; the Wikipedia article says the imported instruments didn't have the crest on the headstock, but looking at this electric, (https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p679/1955_Favilla_Mandolin.html) which appears "generic Asian," I wonder...

In any case, $150 or so isn't a lot of money, and a good playable Harmony at that price wouldn't be a swindle. Now, if you could find this one (http://oldfrets.com/Favilla.html) for $150...!
do you think its most likely laminated wood? Its funny because I have yet to see another photo at all anywhere on the internet of a Favilla that looks like this. I understand its probably not the highest quality but for $150 it may be worth to get it up to playing quality. it appears to be missing the tuner bushings . I wonder which ones I need.

Jeff Hildreth
Sep-30-2017, 7:25pm
I've owned several Favillas, collected them. Got a mint uke from Tiny Moore in Sacramento around 1980 or so... a 1951.. he bought it new.

The mandolin pictured is no where near the quality of the Favillas I have owned and played.

The price of $152 is about $100 more than I would pay.

YMMV

MikeEdgerton
Sep-30-2017, 9:06pm
I'm pretty sure that mandolin would be solid, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. You should know that most Harmony mandolins up until the very late 60's/early 70's were solid as well.

allenhopkins
Sep-30-2017, 9:09pm

Can't tell at a distance if it's laminated -- but the overall apparent quality would make it a good possibility. You're not going to be able to determine that from a website picture, and you won't get closer than that until you buy it.

Though you said it was on sale "near you"; can you go to the Goodwill and take a look? See if the grain on the outside of its back matches with the grain you can see looking into the soundhole. Or look at the edges of the soundhole and see if you detect laminations.

At that price, and looking at its construction, I'd expect a plywood instrument, but you can't be sure. As several people have stated above, the pictured mandolin doesn't seem up to the quality I would expect from an instrument made by Favilla here in the US. We can only tell so much from the pics; if you can get an on-site look at the mandolin, you can make a better determination.

astein2006
Sep-30-2017, 11:27pm
I'm pretty sure that mandolin would be solid, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. You should know that most Harmony mandolins up until the very late 60's/early 70's were solid as well.

Bad news. I emailed Thomas Favilla and he said that mandolin was a counterfeit. Done by Lipsky Music sometime in 59-60'. They were eventually taken to court and fined.