PDA

View Full Version : Any videos or recordings of Bill and his mando?

fscotte
Sep-28-2017, 1:46pm
I'm looking for the sound of Bill Monroe's mando in an "intimate" non-professional recording. For instance, maybe just sitting on his porch picking, with no other instruments. I'm aware of this one below.. any others?

https://vimeo.com/216268294

Mandolin Cafe
Sep-28-2017, 1:57pm
Oops, never mind. I linked to the one above and looks like you edited your original post and inserted it. Never mind!

allenhopkins
Sep-28-2017, 2:01pm
You might listen to the live taping of his duets with Doc Watson, released on Live Duet Recordings, 1963-1980. (https://www.discogs.com/Bill-Monroe-Doc-Watson-Live-Duet-Recordings-1963-1980-Off-The-Record-Vol-2/release/4735964)

They don't meet your specs exactly: they're performances, not "back porch picking," and Watson's guitar is heard along with Monroe's mandolin. However, they're a lot different from his work with the Blue Grass Boys -- many of the same songs and tunes, but arranged and played differently.

Just a suggestion.

A 4
Sep-28-2017, 3:04pm
Also not quite what you are asking for, but I quite enjoyed the Black Mountain Music Podcast series on Bill Monroe. In part 6, there are a bunch of duets and non-Bluegrass Boys recordings mostly live. With the smaller groups, including several Doc Watson duets, it seems there is more room for Bill Monroe to stretch out, and so the mandolin breaks are somewhat longer:
http://blackmountainunderground.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-music-of-bill-monroe-part-6-duets.html

The whole series is pretty good. I've been a reluctant Bill Monroe fan, I think because so many of the recording I heard were bad, quality wise. The series has a lot of live recordings that really sound pretty good, even the older ones. A welcome to my perspective when I heard these the first time.

Spruce
Sep-28-2017, 3:13pm
I've been a reluctant Bill Monroe fan, I think because so many of the recording I heard were bad, quality wise. The series has a lot of live recordings that really sound pretty good, even the older ones. A welcome to my perspective when I heard these the first time.

Yeah, some of the live recordings are really good in terms of hearing that mandolin in action...
Two that come to mind: Great American Music Hall ('78) and the Softrock Cafe in Vancouver from 11/3/1980...

Mandoplumb
Sep-28-2017, 4:52pm
Recording was somewhat different and limited when Monroe started, so quality was less, although Monroe and Flatt &Scruggs, were recording on state of the art at that time. Other BG acts weren't so lucky. Stanley Brothers early recording were worse,as well as most other bands. Monroe's later albums were, in my opinion, were when recording quality peaked,has went down in later years.

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-13-2017, 9:27am
There are some great examples of intimate Monroe solo recordings on youtube:

JIfAMRxcz6Y

Z1EQJ4JX_6s

and the epitome of Monroe mandolin technique:

j9f3-0DhtB4

Mark Gunter
Oct-13-2017, 11:54am
Watching videos like the ones Olaf shared can be dangerous for MAS outbreak for anyone who doesn't own an F5! Who wouldn't want a mandolin like Bill's, as much like Bill's as possible? And we wonder why the style is so popular - I like to visualize holding that instrument and getting those sounds.

Brian Harris
Oct-15-2017, 6:22pm
That was a cool video. It sounds exactly like how all the "old guys" at the local jams play. It's such a different style than the more pristine, delicate, technical approach of modern players.

I deeply respect but really don't care for the Monroe style. It seems to be like it's scratching/rubbing/digging away at the poor instrument. As a Bluegrass/Folk/Traditional player that's blasphemy and I'll show myself to the door now. :confused:

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-23-2017, 4:23am
No need to show yourself to the door. Mind you, Bill Monroe was at an age when most people stop playing professionally when the videos were made. One can claim that Bill MonroeŽs technique was lacking a bit. Well, IŽll be happy if IŽll be able to play like that in some decades.

Monroe style music can be pristine and delicate. It is just not necessarily antiseptic clean. I found some modern players to be lifeless in their mandolin aproach. It is like listening to Bach when it is played down typewriter-like. On the other hand listen to people like Pablo Casals, Piere Fournier etc. They are probably the Bach-Monroes.

As for MAS... as it is nearly impossible to copy a Lloyd Loar F-5 (see "the other" thread), I think that it is a high goal to come close to such an iconic mandolin sound. Playing my F-5 (about 11 years old now) yesterday I thought about this. I do think that a good mandolin ("less expensive" luthiers like Stanley, Duff, Adrian Minarovic [HoGo], Cliff Sargent ...) can come quite close. For the small difference in tone and feel youŽll have to put out truly a lot of money.

Aditionally, getting "that" sound has much to do with the technique. So if youŽre after "that" sound (I surely am), studying the technique will get you there at least half of the way.

fscotte
Oct-23-2017, 8:35am
There are some great examples of intimate Monroe solo recordings on youtube:

JIfAMRxcz6Y

Z1EQJ4JX_6s

and the epitome of Monroe mandolin technique:

j9f3-0DhtB4

Wow thanks for those.

Bill's mando sounds like it has a higher timbre than other Loar's. But I've only had one occasion to play Loar's personally and of course never heard Bill's mando in a live setting. That's why I wanted to hear the raw sound. I love the sound if that mando.