PDA

View Full Version : New Player; String Buzz

Em Tee
Sep-25-2017, 6:37pm
I have been playing for about two months now, taking it slow and being very thorough in my learning. I focus on music theory and learning scales and chords and practice scales over an hour a day. I still am getting buzzing from my g string, especially when playing chords. I thought I woulda built up enough hand strength by now to keep this from happening. Is it possible my hand is still weak or do y'all think it might be the set up/action? (I have a kentucky 162)

pops1
Sep-25-2017, 7:24pm
I would guess setup. If you have something to measure from the top of the 12 fret to the bottom of the G string is should be 1/16", can be less if your fret level is very nice. If yours is less maybe consider raising it some. It could also be a high fret or loose frets. I'd start with the string height and raise the bridge up if it calls for it.

EdHanrahan
Sep-25-2017, 8:48pm
... g string, especially when playing chords. I thought I woulda built up enough hand strength ...

So you're not talking about an open 2-finger G chord, where hand strength doesn't factor into the open G string. IF you're talking about the infamous G-chop chord (big hand stretch, pinky on D at 7th fret of G-string) then it could be almost anything.

Does it happen when you simply fret w/ your index finger on that note?
- If that note is clean, then pinky strength, hand flexibility, fretting accuracy, experience, and/or simple mind over matter are all suspect. Many start by moving the G-chop up 2 or 4 frets to play A or B, with less stretching required as the frets are closer together.
- If just that note buzzes, then a high 8th fret is likely.
- If several notes in that area buzz, then uneven frets, low action, and/or too little neck relief (too straight a neck) are possibilities.

Uhmm, yeah: What Pops1 called "setup"!

Em Tee
Sep-25-2017, 9:10pm
It happens when i fret a single notewith my index finger, yes. Happens when I do g-scales unless i press down pretty hard. I also play the guitar and banjo without an issue, so i am thinking it might be the set-up but obvs mandos are under much more tension so I dunno. I can measure it though!

Mandoplumb
Sep-26-2017, 3:44pm
I would have the set-up checked first. Do you know a mandolin player that you could have look at it and play it for his opinion? Also are you pushing strings when you note, more probable on G because you are reaching across fingerboard. This could move the two strings closer together making them buzz against each other. This little monster we play is very picky.

Rob Meldrum
Sep-26-2017, 4:01pm
Check your set up! Email rob.meldrum@gmail.com for a free ebook on how to set up a mandolin.

Em Tee
Sep-26-2017, 9:41pm
I do not know any mandolin players unfortunately.

I think the problem might actually be specific the second fret. The buzzing seems to happen on both the g and d strings on that fret. It's honestly driving me crazy when i play; trying to identify the source of the buzzing.

Paul Busman
Sep-27-2017, 7:38am
I'm no expert but it would seem that if you're getting a buzz when fretting at the second fret (just a little behind it, right?), then the third fret might be a tad high.

Charlie Bernstein
Sep-27-2017, 7:51am
Not an expert, but in my humble, it might be the frets, nut, or fretboard. It probably not your fingering, since you play other fretted instruments. But we can't diagnose it from here.

If it were my mando, I'd let a luthier look at it. Mandos need finer tuning than guitars do. The littlest thing can throw everything off.

Em Tee
Sep-27-2017, 8:24am
I don't know why i didn't think of this but I live in South Florida. My house got to 90+ degrees with very high humidity every day after hurricane Irma for ten days. I tuned my mando down an octave and never took it out of its case during that time, but now that it's buzzing...well, s%#t.

pops1
Sep-27-2017, 9:08am
If you have something short and straight that will cover 3 frets set it on the first second and third frets and see if it will rock. If so fret two is high, it could be not seated and I would tap it in first before filing. If no rock, move to the second third and fourth frets and do the same. If it rocks there is a high fret. Fretting on a fret that is not seated properly will cause buzz just like a string buzzing on a high fret. This should let you know what is wrong. High humidity can cause a fret to rise, it is no big deal.

THart
Sep-27-2017, 10:30am
Doesn't really sound like this is the OP's issue but I have a mandolin with a covered tail piece and if it's not placed just so it causes the G & sometimes the D to buzz. I've noticed that a lot of players leave the cover off. Must be a common problem?