PDA

View Full Version : I've Rejoined the Gibson Family!

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-24-2005, 10:48pm
A shot of the back.

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-24-2005, 10:49pm
Another shot of the back:

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-24-2005, 10:51pm
OK...this one will give it away http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-24-2005, 10:52pm
Headstock:

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-24-2005, 11:03pm
There was a post in the "Looking For Information About Mandolins" section that caught my attention last weekend. It was about the refurbished Epiphones. I've added these comments to that thread. When Big Joe posted to the thread, his comments sparked my interest. There happens to be Musician's Friend Warehouse/showroom about a half hour from my home so I had to investigate.

They had a pile of Mandolins in the back room to look at - many were missing bridges. After finding what I was looking for I took the time to play a number of Chinese Made MM50's and Korean Made MM50's. I must have been there for at least two hours as some of the Mandos I tried out were missing bridges. I wound up swapping bridges, setting intonation and tuning (brought an electronic tuner) on at least 4 Mandolins that were missing bridges.

I found the Korean made MM50's to have a better overall fit and finish, more comfortable necks, nicer looking woods and were better sounding than compared to the Chinese MM50's. One particular Korean made MM50 stood out well beyond the others. Having the opportunity of comparing a number of these, I felt I had picked out the best of the lot. Some years ago, I owned a MM50 - it was my first F5. I'm pretty sure it had a solid Spruce top and laminated back and sides. The one I had picked out has a solid Spruce top and what appears to be solid back and sides. You can see the flame in the wood from inside of the soundholes. The grain matches on both side of the back. Some flame on the sides too.

For $229.00 I thought I'd pick it up as my new beater. Never thought I'd own another Pac Rim Mandolin but the price on this one was just too tempting. The Mandolin sounds surprisingly good! I set the bridge high enough where I can really get on it and it won't buzz. Has a decent chop and nice clarity. It actually sounds better than some of the Mandolins I've owned/played that cost much more. OK... I didn't think I would say that but I did. This MM50 was a nice surprise. Looks like I'm back with the big G http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif