PDA

View Full Version : shady grove...feedback

bluesguy63
Sep-14-2017, 9:54pm
No mandolin but I'm trying to learn to sing...feedback appreciated.
https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/shady-grove

John Kelly
Sep-15-2017, 3:22am
Can you take back the volume on the guitar backing a bit to give more emphasis to your voice, and maybe go up a key - the low notes seem to be on the limits of your range? Now someone else will tell you the guitar is not loud enough and your voice is pitched too high, probably. You sound as if you are enjoying performing this song, and that is a very big plus point for any listener!

bluesguy63
Sep-15-2017, 9:47am
I tried the song in C...when you say go up a key do you mean D or B?

Denny Gies
Sep-15-2017, 10:35am
If this is a first effort it was good. I agree that another key might fit your voice better. Keep at it and have fun.

EdHanrahan
Sep-15-2017, 11:42am
An unexpected benefit of taking a Pete Wernick ("Dr. Banjo") sponsored bluegrass jamming course, led by Barry Mitterhoff, was finding that my singing doesn't have to be as marginal as it had been. A big factor for us leaning singers is finding a key that fits our range, meaning in which we can sing strongly or close to it. (Having a narrow vocal range is okay; most roots-based music tends to fall that way.)

My interpretation: Your guitar is not too loud, your voice is too soft - at points almost a loud whisper. So, experiment freely & boldly, and probably, like me, where nobody's listening. Try it at least in D, then E, G, A, etc. (Great use for a capo!) Find your limits at both ends, just for experimentation and, ya know, wisdom. You might find that you can sing way up in A in the octave above C, but I'll bet you can't sing it in A 3 half-steps below your current C; your voice sounds, obviously to several of us, bottomed out in the current key.

Or as was put to me, "Don't try to sound like Waylon Jennings when you have Willie Nelson's voice!"

Gotta add that, after decades of making music, adding some actual reliability to my singing has been a HUGE kick. So keep at it!

John Kelly
Sep-16-2017, 3:37am
I tried the song in C...when you say go up a key do you mean D or B?

If you are playing in C, then try moving to D, a whole tone higher, to give those lowest notes more body.

Bertram Henze
Sep-16-2017, 4:21am
Not bad. Many OT/BG/Blues singers I know do a lot worse in jams/sessions.
Shift that capo up 2 frets, like John said. That's what capos were made for in the first place.

The most important point for a singer is intonation. I am aware that, depending on genre, you can slide up to a target note, but at the end of the slide the note must be precise. Precise intonation is much easier in the comfort zone of pitch for the voice than outside it. It'll all come together :cool:

bluesguy63
Sep-16-2017, 12:14pm
Thanks for all of the feedback...I did another version (below) based on comments and went up to the key of D-I think I hear some improvement?
https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/shady-grove-take-2

hucklebilly
Sep-16-2017, 12:28pm
Thanks for all of the feedback...I did another version (below) based on comments and went up to the key of D-I think I hear some improvement?

Definitely a better key for you. Nice job!

Bertram Henze
Sep-16-2017, 1:38pm
Much better. Now you're good to go on stage and sing, right after Elizabeth Laprelle :cool:

bluesguy63
Sep-16-2017, 3:56pm
I reckon that would be a good thing...she's one of my favs. She lives down in my neck of the woods. My goal is to be passable at a jam and not make an fool of myself :)

Jess L.
Sep-16-2017, 9:07pm
... I did another version ... key of D ... improvement?

Yup! :mandosmiley: Sounds pretty good. :)

ccravens
Sep-16-2017, 9:18pm
Much better in D.

Now, I'd try to go up another step (E) and see how that sounds. It may be good, or may be too high, but that's how you find out the right key for you for the specific song. Once you get too high, then back it down a little to find your sweet spot.