PDA

View Full Version : Never had strap issues until I got a mando with a built in pickup

dang
Sep-10-2017, 10:58am
I have been playing mandolin for 15+ years and I have felt lucky to never encounter any of the dreaded issues with a strap falling off of the end pin. I have read some horror stories here on the cafe and have seen the solutions that people use but it never really was an issue that was anywhere but in the back of my mind. A couple of years ago I ordered a custom mando with the tailpiece drilled out for a pickup, I had been using a schertler and a few microphone configurations and a built in pickup seemed like the logical solution to the whole amplification problem.

With the pickup the size of the end pin that the strap needs to hang on is significantly larger then the usual end pin I have been used to for years, so my usual strap (a rather thin levi's) doesn't really work all that well.

I had read a thread (that I can't seem to find now) about a similar issue and some solutions people had used and I stole an idea - or adapted one - to tie a small piece of leather shoelace to the end of the strap and then tie this around the endpin so that I could fit it around the larger metal end pin. Kind of an adaptor. Worked great for months...

Then last night it came untied 5 mins before it was time to go on stage. Super small audience, less then 100 people, I was only helping a buddy play a few songs so he wasn't alone... but I felt like an idiot tying my mando on right at that moment.

So I was hoping someone could tell me the secret knot that doesn't come undone? Or how to enlarge a strap button hole in a way that isn't just "cut it larger." Is there a certain size leather punch to buy? I think I am going to have to go for a wider strap then I have ever used. Any input would be appreciated, looking for a pretty solid solution, I would have hated to have that come untied while I was on stage!

MikeEdgerton
Sep-10-2017, 11:25am
Use a square not, it should be fine. By the way, that would be the Hans Brentrup method.

I bought a set of punches years ago that work in leather, plastic, etc. I use them to enlarge holes. It is like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02614A-Interchangable-Hollow-10-Piece/dp/B0002T87E0/ref=sr_1_5/141-3086057-8136824?ie=UTF8&qid=1505060886&sr=8-5&keywords=hole+punch+set

Mark Wilson
Sep-10-2017, 1:36pm
The 3/8" punch in this set (https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html)worked fine to over punch the hole in one of my straps to fit a pickup end jack.

Sully straps will retrofit the tab on a Sully strap to fit an end jack perfectly for the cost of round trip mailing. I believe he uses a 3/8" hole as well

jesserules
Sep-10-2017, 2:29pm
Leather lace from Tandy, loop it around the scroll with a running bowline, use a hangman's knot for the button. Will last for years.

Toni Schula
Sep-10-2017, 3:52pm
I use a tapastring endpin: that's a regular size endpin with a very rugged 1/8 jack. So an ordinary strap will do.

(A super small audiance for me is smaller than the band ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I use a tapastring endpin: that's a regular size endpin with a very rugged 1/8 jack. So an ordinary strap will do.

(A super small audiance for me is smaller than the band ;)

Phil Goodson
Sep-10-2017, 4:26pm
Just another example of what Mike showed above. I use this on EVERY mandolin I have!

sblock
Sep-10-2017, 7:04pm
+ 1 for adding a short safety loop that ties the end of the strap (through a hole) to the tailpiece (by running under and around it), just as shown in the photos above. You can never be sure when your strap might slip off the tailpin, or if the tailpin itself might slip out of the mandolin altogether. This little safety loop will catch everything if either of those things should happen, preventing disaster. You can make this loop from paracord, leather, a shoelace, or even a bit of flexible wire. It's the best insurance you can have to protect your mandolin! It has saved mine at least a couple of times, and I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.

Manfred Hacker
Sep-10-2017, 7:18pm
I have used a couple of Bailey Straps over the years and won't consider getting any other strap now. My end pin has come out, but the strap has never come off!
NFI
http://www.thebaileystrap.com

pops1
Sep-10-2017, 9:11pm
If you are playing plugged in the strap won't come off, you can also put a drop of superglue on the knot and it will keep if from coming untied.

I enlarge the hole with a leather punch that is like a pliers with several hole sizes that rotate. I use the largest one and simply nibble around to get it a snug fit. I have never had one come off, they are tight and hard to get on, but once on they stay on.

Shelagh Moore
Sep-11-2017, 3:06am
3mm leather cord with a hangman's knot is how I attach all my straps now. I have never had a problem with this solution since it is self-tightening with the weight of the instrument.

onassis
Sep-11-2017, 6:14am
I use a Lakota Leathers strap over a K&K endpin, and I really had to struggle to get it on the first time, but now it shows no intention of ever coming off. Fine by me, as I store it with the strap on any way. My problem has been a tendency for the screw-on portion of the endpin to un-screw itself. I've been meaning to put some threadlock on it.

MontanaMatt
Sep-11-2017, 9:29am
https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/7000-7-10137-00751-2.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

I've used a Dunlop strap lock to prevent unwanted release

dang
Sep-12-2017, 10:12am
Thanks for all the responses, not sure what I am going to go with yet but I will hopefully come to a decision soon, I will post what works for me.

... My problem has been a tendency for the screw-on portion of the endpin to un-screw itself. I've been meaning to put some threadlock on it.

I have also noticed this happening and wanted to throw that in at some point also, thanks, seems like a good solution.

djeffcoat
Sep-12-2017, 1:06pm
You need the StrapKeeper.

http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm

dang
Sep-19-2017, 4:38am
You need the StrapKeeper.

http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm

Thanks,
I was kind of hoping for something easy like this, I've got a couple of these on the way, I'll post an update when they get here.

fatt-dad
Sep-19-2017, 6:45am
I use a slip knot on my end pin and it does not come off.

Here's the knot though for tying two strings together. It's not a square knot! (It is the knot I use; however.)

f-d

dang
Oct-04-2017, 12:23pm
Ok, I have had the StrapKeeper on my mandolin for about a week and it really fits exactly what I wanted it to do. It securely fits over the larger endpin with output jack and allows me to use the same strap I have been using for years. Solved the problem so well I bought a couple of extra for my guitar and tenor guitar. Saved me the cost of buying new straps and the straps are now secured better then ever. Also saved me the worry of modifying a couple of rather expensive straps by using leather punches. This wouldn't have been hard but I haven't had all that much luck doing modifications over the years, my dabbling in hot-rodding and amateur lutherie are over. I admit I need professional help :grin:

Thanks for all the advice, cafe members are awesome :mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Oct-04-2017, 1:16pm
If you're ever need something in an emergency

dang
Oct-04-2017, 2:07pm
If you're ever need something in an emergency

I don’t know, we’re 2 days beyond the expiration date already...

almeriastrings
Oct-05-2017, 12:47am
If you have a soft strap, this method works really well. Not suitable for hard leather, however.

FPhil
Oct-05-2017, 3:46am
Rod from Pinegrove Leather (where I bought several well made straps) offers a nice solution for an endpin jack, didn't use it myself though:

https://www.pinegroveleather.com/Guitar-Strap-Jack-Endpin-Adaptor-p/pg170967.htm