PDA

View Full Version : new to the mandolin...a little improv

bluesguy63
Sep-09-2017, 10:14pm
My first attempt at a little improv....thoughts / comments and suggestions appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/mandolin-improv

BrianWilliam
Sep-10-2017, 9:20am
Nice job Blues Guy!

EdHanrahan
Sep-10-2017, 10:49am
Indeed! Clean, fun to listen to, beyond-basic phrasing that dances nicely around the beat.

Critical comment as you asked for (that certainly wouldn't bother any TRUE blues player!) is that you get off the primary beat and then catch up with it. Not talking about any change in speed. Specifically, it starts with 2 pick-up notes before the downbeat on note three ("1" of the 4-count), but later (a third in maybe?) the same pick-up notes start on the downbeat ("1 and") and hit the dominant melody note on 2, BUT you adjust and end the phrase right where my ears would expect - a good thing. The final time thru, the same issue gets a bit muddied so that the last note falls on (to my counting) the 3 beat, where it would normally end on 1.

But hey, the old-time blues players could be WAY more flexible with their phrasing. Nicely done!

Denny Gies
Sep-10-2017, 11:40am
Good job. Notes are nice and clean and clear. Keep at it until your fangers are sore. Good luck.

bluesguy63
Sep-10-2017, 3:29pm
Appreciate your time and comments...made me think about the timing. Anyway, just trying to work up a few tunes to jam on with guitar buddy.