PDA

View Full Version : New Mandolin Day: Epiphone MM-40L Masterbilt

David Lewis
Sep-05-2017, 5:19am
I'll post pictures in a day or so, once I've put some Sam Bush Monels on it. Got it half price in a clearance sale. I now have 2 A-Styles (one f-hole, one round hole), and two F-styles - (one F hole, and this one which is a round hole).

My question is: why is there little to no information apart from the official website, plus sites like Sweetwater (which basically has the same information)? Does anyone else have one? It is beautifully made, and sounds lovely (which is why I can't wait to put new strings on).

I know there are Ephiphone haters out here - that's fine, but I have the MM-50e, which I think is a very good instrument (again, I got it exceptionally cheap).

So, what can I find out? What's your experience? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks in advance!

multidon
Sep-05-2017, 7:10am
David- I don't have one but I have been curious about them as well. They have some interesting sounding specs. All solid woods (probably not carved, as this is not specified) and hide glue construction. It's a nice looking package at that price point, and it has the charm of being the only F style all solid oval hole at that price point that I know of, with the exception of the Gretsch Park Avenue. It has a strong resemblence to the Gretsch except for the headstock, and I wonde whether it might be made in the same factory. It is difficult to explain the dearth of information, except to say that Epiphone marketing seems weak in general, and perhaps Big G feels that the price point alone will sell it, and it will find its own market. I am not generally a bifan of Epiphone mandolins, but if I had a chance to buy that particular one at half price, being all solid and an oval hole, I would have found it hard to resist also.

David Lewis
Sep-05-2017, 8:27am
It's really interesting: but if you go to youtube, and look at the other Epiphone mandos, there are independent reviews (all are very good reviews - some are very positive, some are negative, but none, (at least as far as I can see) were particularly unfair). You also get players showing their latest/favourite songs to play with them. But not the Masterbilt. It's like a secret, or something. I was wondering if it was some kind of awful dud, but the internet is very good at smoking those out too....

Bleikr
Jan-31-2019, 12:09pm
Epiphone Masterbilt MM-40L arrived yesterday, it’s going back (AmericanMusicalSupply) for exchange tomorrow. I was going to obtain a refund, however they talked me into exchange for one more try. Some BG, I am a Gibson / Epiphone fan going back 40+ years.
This mandolin is a QC nightmare. Nut slots extremely high, sloppy pin stripes and carve marks on the scroll. Frets were sharp-edged (I buffed out with 400G paper), impact mark near the soundhole, glue marks on peghead inlay. Need I continue?
Contacted Gibson, sent photos. They said the issues would be passed on to Epi Dept.
I’m new here - came here to warn others of this. Photos available to anyone interested.

multidon
Feb-01-2019, 7:50am
Please keep us apprised of the progress on this. I for one would like to know if this is an aberration or the norm for this model. I believe American Musical Supply is a drop shipper and I highly doubt that the instrument received any sort of inspection or set up. The way you got it is the way it left the factory, and it is likely that you are the first person to touch it since it was packed in China.

colorado_al
Feb-01-2019, 9:08am
I'm sure it will need a setup.
I would personally look for a different brand. That looks to me like a strange combo of mandolin parts. Likely also has a pressed top and back.
For $700 you could get a nice carved instrument from Eastman, Kentucky, The Loar, with proper setup.

multidon
Feb-01-2019, 1:09pm
Al, the problem here is the F style with an oval hole. There are no oval hole F style instruments on the market in that price range that I am aware of besides the Epiphone MM-40L and the Gretsch Park Avenue. The closest I can think of is the Eastman 514 at $999, and it is carved, and a good option, but the pressed but solid wood models listed above are a lot less. There are no Kentucky F style oval holes, and no oval holes of any kind made by the Loar. So the pickings are slim for those pining for the look of aa F2/F4 but on a budget. Hobgoblin carries one under their house brand, I forget what it’s called, that may be an option. But my gosh, f holes really do overwhealmingly predominate, don’t they?

Br1ck
Feb-01-2019, 1:27pm
The only thing I have against Epiphone is how Gibson has used the name to market another Chinese factory instrument. Now the world needs affordable instruments, but to suggest some artisan is building these in a special shop out back with all the care one can take is very misleading. They are not the only ones, Guild has their Westerly series guitars.

They are both targeting the market of the uninformed and building instruments with inlay and binding cheap. I have a very similar type of instrument, my Michael Kelly. It's an F style with binding and headstock inlay. For what it cost new,you could buy a KM 150 and be way ahead of the game. But if you bought at a good price and are willing to pay someone or put in a fair bit of work, you can have a very servisable mandolin. We do here in the US seem to buy stuff cheap though.

Gelt a setup and play in good health.

allenhopkins
Feb-01-2019, 4:30pm
...Hobgoblin carries one under their house brand, I forget what it’s called, that may be an option.

Ashbury AM-370. (https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/products/GR31026/ashbury-am370-f-style-mandolin-oval-soundhol/) Still has a pressed top and back, though it's solid woods. Could well be made in the same factory as the Epi.

But my gosh, f holes really do overwhealmingly predominate, don’t they?

They sure do.

colorado_al
Feb-01-2019, 11:11pm
Al, the problem here is the F style with an oval hole. There are no oval hole F style instruments on the market in that price range that I am aware of besides the Epiphone MM-40L and the Gretsch Park Avenue. The closest I can think of is the Eastman 514 at $999, and it is carved, and a good option, but the pressed but solid wood models listed above are a lot less. There are no Kentucky F style oval holes, and no oval holes of any kind made by the Loar. So the pickings are slim for those pining for the look of aa F2/F4 but on a budget. Hobgoblin carries one under their house brand, I forget what it’s called, that may be an option. But my gosh, f holes really do overwhealmingly predominate, don’t they?

I think the problem is an aesthetic one.
There are plenty of oval hole, carved top/back instruments that are going to sound far better then the Epi MM-40L at a similar or lower price. They just happen to be A style. Eastman MD304, MD404, MD504, Kentucky KM270, KM272, KM276.
Lowest F2/F4 style oval will be the Eastman MD514, now that the MD314 is discontinued, but you might find one used.
If the OP can get over the scroll, they will find a far superior sounding instrument for less money in the Eastman MD304 or Kentucky KM270 et al.
If they really can't look past the scroll, the Eastman MD514 is worth the extra $.

Dave Greenspoon
Feb-02-2019, 12:00am
I'd look for a good condition, used Michael Kelly F-4, and be prepared to put some money into the neck and frets as needed. You can find them used around $400 on sale sites. I had one I regret trading away.

jim simpson
Feb-02-2019, 1:41pm
Ashbury AM-370. (https://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/products/GR31026/ashbury-am370-f-style-mandolin-oval-soundhol/) Still has a pressed top and back, though it's solid woods. Could well be made in the same factory as the Epi.

They sure do.

I like the appearance of the Ashbury.

Verne Andru
Feb-02-2019, 7:37pm
IIRC the new Epiphone "Masterbilt's" - guitars and mandos - are solid pressed tops.

David Lewis
Feb-02-2019, 11:12pm
I love mine - a full rich sound and comfortable to play. I'm going with 'aberration'. YMMV.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-03-2019, 5:31pm
No hands on experience with the mandolin, but I can verify that AMS is not a dropshipper
(more like the MF business model). They have a large warehouse a couple miles from my house. It is on my bike route. :)

Not sure if they have warehouses, aside from this one in Reno.

multidon
Feb-03-2019, 6:27pm
Robert, thanks for the correction. But even if they aren’t drop shippers, I’ll still bet they don’t open the box before they ship it to the customer.

Folkmusician.com
Feb-04-2019, 10:22am
But even if they aren’t drop shippers, I’ll still bet they don’t open the box before they ship it to the customer.

Yea, same differnece. I would be shocked if they did! :)

Br1ck
Feb-04-2019, 2:17pm
I still have a clear rememberance of opening the box of my MK, and tuning it up and realizing the horror of the stock setup. I still wonder how many more mandolin players there would be if everyone had an Eastman or Kentucky setup. And even those need help.