PDA

View Full Version : D'Addario FT 74s

steve in tampa
Jun-24-2005, 4:02am
Been using Gibson Sam Bush strings on my F9 for some time, and just tried a set of D'Addario FT74s on it. What a difference!

Really like the wound A strings. I play quite a bit on the middle courses, and this really is a nice change. Like the feel of the strings, and the woodier sound I'm getting also.

Interested in seeing how long they last. That is a feature of the Sam Bush strings I like. Seen discussions before of folks having problems with the A strings breaking and unraveling. I do not "beat" the mandolin,(got a guitar for that), so I'm hoping they hold up.

If I continue to use them, I might have to get the nut replaced, as the slots for the G strings might be a little shallow.

I'll be getting a lot of hours on them this weekend.

Stephanie Reiser
Jun-24-2005, 4:55am
I agree, Steve. I have on my first set and let me tell you, that wound A on this flat wound set feels like silk. I play alot of slides and pull-offs and this set makes a big difference. I play about 2 hours a day, and they seem to not only last, but stay in tune better than the other brands I have tried.

John Flynn
Jun-24-2005, 8:28am
I am glad you like them. I have had a different experience. I had both buzzing, and later, breaking problems with the would A's on two different mandos. Those mandos are perfectly set up by my luthier, who is very good, and I have had no similar problems with unwound A's. As was suggested, I think I would have had to have the instruments set up just for those strings to get better results. I didn't like the strings well enough to have that done. I also didn't find the string life to be that good on them. I replaced the wound A's with regular A's on both instruments and then I thought they were were OK, but just OK. I do play pretty hard and I don't think they are designed for that.

fatt-dad
Jun-24-2005, 9:14am
I'm kind of with Mando Johnny on this one. My first impression was to buy a bunch and put them on my oval holes. But after the initial novelity wore off, I ended up with the impression that they didn't give as good string life or overall tone that I was used to. I'm back on J-74/75s or my new-found favorite the Bush monels (other than on my pancake, where only light gauge will do).

f-d

steve in tampa
Jun-24-2005, 12:07pm
We have a set to do today for a fundraiser, and a jam this evening and I will put them to the test. I don't play hard, and have only broken one mandolin string in my life. I had the Bush mmonels on there before, and these bring a different tone out of the instrument. I'll see how they last.

Doug Edwards
Jun-24-2005, 2:44pm
I've only broke a mandolin string once, an FT74 A string. I still use them from time to time, but I feel they are too expensive not to provide anymore benefit than they do.

BTW, I have and extra wound A string in my case if you want it.

Lane Pryce
Jun-24-2005, 4:02pm
Steve I liked them too.Very woody and lots of volume.However they did not last for me.I then tried the silk and bronze, about the same tone but didn't last either. I switched to J75's and I got woody tone, volume and longevity. Lp

steve in tampa
Jul-04-2005, 2:59pm
I put some good milage on them the last 2 weekends and am very happy with them. Stayed in tune very well even outdoors yesterday afternoon on a muggy Florida day.

otterly2k
Jul-05-2005, 11:19pm
I just put on a set... they did well in a jam session tonight... I'll see how they hold up over the next couple of weeks.