PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Mandolin - Any Info?

MathewFerrari
Sep-04-2017, 9:05pm
Found this vintage mandy for $75CAD can anybody tell me anything about it? Maybe how old? No brand or anything

https://imgur.com/a/TnbIO

allenhopkins
Sep-04-2017, 10:11pm
German/Eastern European, from the slotted headstock and the large marquetry pickguard; maybe mid-20th-century?

Rough, rough shape. Not sure if there are any actual cracks, but this one's been pretty badly abused. Can't really assess the string height from your pics, but I wouldn't put out $75 for it. At least, not without getting a pro instrument tech to look at it.

Just my 2¢.

MathewFerrari
Sep-04-2017, 10:34pm
Plays beautifully and the rough shape adds character imo, I'm not really a purist at all

bbcee
Sep-05-2017, 4:55am
Plays beautifully and the rough shape adds character imo, I'm not really a purist at all

Well there you go. :) Enjoy it.

William Smith
Sep-05-2017, 6:06am
Nice guard man, them old mandolins really have the pickguards going on I think, very nice, People took some serious pride in the guard inlay work back in the proverbial "day"!

allenhopkins
Sep-05-2017, 12:01pm
"Rough shape adds character" but subtracts value, IMHO. At least there don't seem to be cracks...

There were companies that made pickguards only, and sold them to instrument builders. You find some really elaborately inlaid examples on bowl-backs from the early 20th century. When hand-work was cheaper, lots of low-paid people employed doing inlay and ornamentation, not just on musical instruments. Not so much now.

MathewFerrari
Sep-06-2017, 7:59pm
"Rough shape adds character" but subtracts value, IMHO. At least there don't seem to be cracks....

Not looking to make money on it, just wanted something interesting to carry around camping and $75CAD is pretty cheap.

allenhopkins
Sep-07-2017, 11:33am
Not looking to make money on it, just wanted something interesting to carry around camping and $75CAD is pretty cheap.

Well, as a "beater," if it's playable and IYHO interesting, you've got a bargain.