PDA

View Full Version : New Flat Iron ?

Loubrava
Aug-28-2017, 11:04pm
Found this kind of odd listed as "new" . I don't much about the Flat Irons but if it is new it could be a good deal. https://reverb.com/item/6372020-new-gibson-flatiron-mandolin

George R. Lane
Aug-28-2017, 11:15pm
It looks like it is New Old Stock (NOS). The build date is 2,000"s.

Josh Levine
Aug-28-2017, 11:40pm
Na that is before the 2000s. 2000s are Nashville. Can't tell if that Serial # means 96 or 91. One of the experts will know.

Dave Hanson
Aug-29-2017, 1:20am
plus £798.43 shipping ? is it being shipped from Mars or Venus ?

Dave H

Tom C
Aug-29-2017, 7:50am
Its a '96 Flatiron Performer. I have one. Very fair price and great bang for the buck. It does have the integrated fret board. It also has a heck of a chop and lots of low end.
It's only $32 shipping. Not sure of what you are looking at as this is in American dollars.

Loubrava
Aug-29-2017, 1:04pm
If it is new as advertised I thinks it's a great deal if it stacks up to the early 2000 F9's somebody's gonna score ! Reverb is great place to buy as they will refund your money if item isn't as advertised. I bought a 2002 F9 it was listed as "pristine" it was far from pristine even had crack at neck joint. Seller wasn't happy when I sent it back Reverb refunded my money no problems. Too bad but because that F9 sounded great.

Mike Arakelian
Aug-29-2017, 1:28pm
The first two digits of the serial number indicate the year it was made...hence, 1996. Have you tried to contact the seller to find out more about it? If it is NOS, it's a good deal. Performer series was Flatiron's entry model...a great sounding and playing mandolin! Love mine!

G7MOF
Aug-29-2017, 1:46pm
It does say £799.80 or $1034 shipping. I could collect it from the US for less than that.

Tom C
Aug-29-2017, 2:01pm
Where???

Loubrava
Aug-29-2017, 3:19pm
The first two digits of the serial number indicate the year it was made...hence, 1996. Have you tried to contact the seller to find out more about it? If it is NOS, it's a good deal. Performer series was Flatiron's entry model...a great sounding and playing mandolin! Love mine!

No after my experience with the F9 I wanted a new mando. so I'm having one made by Ratliff. When I saw this I just thought somebody here might be looking for a nice mando. and wanted to share it. If someone buys it let us know how it turns out .

Bill Snyder
Aug-29-2017, 10:53pm
Where???

Has it occurred to you that for anyone looking at it in the UK the shipping might be different?

Dave Hanson
Aug-30-2017, 1:14am
In the advert I get, it says £1,799.46 for the mandolin and £798.43 shipping, obviously just for the UK market.

Dave H

ollaimh
Aug-30-2017, 2:11am
$1290 shipping to canada, i guess they are going to hand deliver and fly

Tom C
Aug-30-2017, 7:59am
Has it occurred to you that for anyone looking at it in the UK the shipping might be different?

Not really. I thought a URL is a URL as we are clicking on same link.

Mike Arakelian
Aug-30-2017, 11:19am
The shipping question aside, if this is a new old stock, I'd love to know the story of where it's been for the past 20+ years??? I think I'd need to know more about that if I were considering buying it...I'm not, just curious.

5bassman
Aug-30-2017, 2:02pm
I recently traded a 1996 Flatiron Performer with the intergrated fretboard (the one in my avatar) because it just didn't have what I was looking for in one. Volume was in the medium range and it just didn't have the sound I want.

Bill Snyder
Aug-30-2017, 10:03pm

Nope. When you click a link your general location is made known to the site you are clicking on and location specific differences can be made to the site.

multidon
Sep-01-2017, 7:47am
It is suspicious that it's listed as new, but the truth is this is a more than fair price even used if it is good condition. I've seen them listed at 2500 or more used. Also suspicious that the description is so sketchy on details. And a private listing would be unlikely to be NOS. Wouldn't that be a store? Perhaps the lister used to have a store and hung on to this after the store closed. But more likely it is being listed as new because someone bought it, played it very little or not at all, and stuck it in a closet all those years. I've seen instruments listed as "new" under similar circumstances and as much as their owners want that to be true, they are used. Just like a car that takes the depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot. Still, this appears to be a good deal. But I would want a lot more information.

Timbofood
Sep-01-2017, 4:04pm
Pardon my ignorance but, what is an "integrated" FB?

jefflester
Sep-01-2017, 6:12pm
Pardon my ignorance but, what is an "integrated" FB?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?21833

Timbofood
Sep-02-2017, 11:31am
Thanks Jeff.
Like Chet Atkins said once:
"See, you come to these hillbilly shows and sometimes you learn something!"
One day older, one more thing to forget!

Kevin Stueve
Sep-02-2017, 11:37am

that is the beauty of dynamic web content. Same link different contents

DataNick
Sep-02-2017, 6:26pm
I recently traded a 1996 Flatiron Performer with the intergrated fretboard (the one in my avatar) because it just didn't have what I was looking for in one. Volume was in the medium range and it just didn't have the sound I want.

+1...Integrated Fretboard spells Q-U-I-E-T...YMMV but I've never played one (Flatiron with that fretboard spec) that had the goods in tone and volume.