PDA

View Full Version : Book for understanding Scales, Keys, & Chords

Spock89
Aug-27-2017, 1:34pm
I'm looking for a good book that explains scales, chords, and keys and how they all work together. As well as explaining different scale modes.

Basically I want to learn how to play with a group of people when they say they are playing in a certain key, play lead over them, change the mood of the lead, etc..

I have been looking for mando books on google play without any luck(have a free $5 credit on there). I would be fine with a guitar book as well. I can google the actual scales and chords for mandolin... the information I am seeking should be very universal.

Dan O'Sullivan
Aug-27-2017, 2:11pm
If you can read standard notation, any music book with the word "theory" in the title will probably help, and you probably won't need the whole book. Local library?

Jon Hall
Aug-27-2017, 3:59pm
I have some material (pdf files) that I give to my students. They will not provide everything you're asking but will get you started in the right direction. Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies"will explain a lot of what you're wanting to learn. If you're interested in my material, please p.m. me with your email address and I'll send you the files.

Spock89
Aug-27-2017, 4:24pm
I have some material (pdf files) that I give to my students. They will not provide everything you're asking but will get you started in the right direction. Don Julin's "Mandolin for Dummies"will explain a lot of what you're wanting to learn. If you're interested in my material, please p.m. me with your email address and I'll send you the files.

I dont know if its due to the fact I am on a phone or not, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to send a PM. But yes I would very much appreciate what you have. Thank you.

Spock89
Aug-27-2017, 4:26pm
If you can read standard notation, any music book with the word "theory" in the title will probably help, and you probably won't need the whole book. Local library?

Cant read standard notation :/ lol been playing guitar for a lot of years... always did fine just playing by ear and doing what feels right, but I figured its time to actually learn the method of the madness. Thanks for the suggestion. Time to cruise google and see what I can find.

Dale Ludewig
Aug-27-2017, 4:26pm
Try Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. It's quite good and straight forward.

rljmusic13
Aug-27-2017, 5:13pm
I think I may be able to offer up some great help for this search for great books and other mandolin stuff. This could take a while but I believe it will benefite you and all mandolin players and enthusiasts. I have some books for scales and I have some other teaching aides that I have used. ALL are good to have to help you. This site has many great things to offer.www.mandolessons.com You can learn a lot of great tunes and chop chords too. AMAZING site and an AMAZING teacher too. I just wich he had those t shirts again. Mel Bay is another source as is Hal Leonard and Alfred. Homespun Taes is a go to shop for me when I want to get the great bluegrass instruction Sam Bush has a lot of input with his videos and he also teaches the Bill Monroe style on a 2 part DVD set. Another resource is the Murphy Method. VERY GOOD program there. Take you from a beginner that never even seen or hear an instrument and takes you from a beginner to intermediate to advanced. Monroe Mandolin Camp in Nashville TN is another great source. http://monroemandolincamp.com/ Mike Compton is an AMAZING mandolinist. Sierra Hull has done workshops. Try going to some Bluegrass festivals too. You will meet other musicians and one place every bluegrass player should visit is BEAN BLOSSOM, Indiana. This is a place known to some as the University of Bluegrass and to others it is known as the Bluegrass Mecca. This is a link to the site for festival information. http://www.beanblossom.us/ I hope this will guide you in your search.

mandoglobal
Aug-27-2017, 9:33pm
Best book I ever bought on this was Don julin's Mandolin for Dummies (Exercises companion). Wish I had that book when I started.

Charlie Bernstein
Aug-27-2017, 9:42pm
And since you play guitar, I haven't found anything that comes close to Ralph Denyer's The Guitar Handbook.

It spells out all of that clearly, graphically, and concisely. It doesn't go deep anywhere, it just covers a wide, wide range of bases. I've used it more than all my other instructional books combined.

gtani7
Aug-27-2017, 11:10pm
Music Theory for guitarists, Tom Kolb

maybe "Guitarist's Guide To Scales Over Chords" by Chad Johnson

There's lots of theory for violin stuff:

Pete Martin: http://www.petimarpress.com/pdf%20files/Easy%20Music%20Theory%20for%20Fiddle%20and%20Mando lin.pdf

also I *think* you could learn theory from the Jazz mandolin books by Dix Bruce, Don Stiernberg, Aaron Weinstein, Todd Collins, etc (I think i'm forgetting some, maybe Mike Marshall has something like that). also Wayne Fugate's Mastering Mandolin book (vol 3 of the 3 books in 1 from Alfred press)

Mark Gunter
Aug-28-2017, 7:36am
There's also the Bradley Laird material, Mandolin Master Class, a PDF e-book http://www.bradleylaird.com/mandou-site/buymmc.html or the Mando University set http://www.bradleylaird.com/mandou%2Dsite/

A small group of us are working through Mandolin Master Class in the Woodshed Study Group here (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=311) and Brad monitors a thread in that group for questions, comments, discussion on the book.

mandocrucian
Aug-28-2017, 9:19am
Sevcik : School of Violin Technique

Jerry Coker etc: Patterns For Jazz

gspiess
Aug-28-2017, 9:23am
#1 on both Mandolin for Dummies and Mandolessons. For theory, the biggest breakthrough for me came when I learned about the Nashville Numbering System.

Ryk Loske
Aug-28-2017, 9:25am
Mandoglobal's suggestion gets thumbs up from me. Excellent source and if you were to add "Music Theory for Dummies" it would be even more helpful.

Ryk

Jon Hall
Aug-28-2017, 12:10pm
I've sent you a p.m. with my email address. When you reply from your email, I'll send you the files.