PDA

View Full Version : Case ideas for a Mid-mo mandola?

Jill McAuley
Aug-27-2017, 2:31am
Got me hands on a Mid-Mo mandola and trying to get a hardshell case for it - did a search and found a thread where someone asked the same question awhile back, but there weren't a lot of answers for her. Any Mid-Mo/Big Muddy mandola owners out there - what cases are you using?

multidon
Aug-27-2017, 6:44am
Jill- I used to have one and I bought a Protec Stonewood case for it. If you do a search for it you'll see what it looked like. It was unusual as mandolin cases go, it had a clear window through which the headstock was visible. The concept was, for people with multiple mandolins, they could make sure at a glance they were grabbing the right one. And they were grossly oversized for a mandolin case, but fit my mandola nicely. Alas, they stopped making them 4 years ago or so. I thought I might still mention it though, in case you find one used somewhere. I sold mine with my mandola. The only other option I can think of is to contact Mike Dulak at Big Muddy Mandolins. They are the same as the Mid Missouri and he may be willing to sell you the case he has custom made for his instruments.

Jill McAuley
Aug-27-2017, 11:42am
Thanks for the info Don! I do remember those Protec cases! I'll get in touch with Mike to see if I can get a mandola case from him, as the only other option I'm finding online is a Kaces gig bag at Elderly.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-27-2017, 1:27pm
What are the dimensions? Would a tenor banjo case work? How about a Goldtone mandola case?

Pittsburgh Bill
Aug-27-2017, 2:28pm
I think Big Muddy makes a case for his dola.
I had a Protec case and it was very protective and heavy. Did I say heavy? Ubelievably heavy! It fit my Trinity College well, but would not accomodate my Weber or Coleman dola. I hated to give up that case but I gave my Trinity College dola to my step son and figured he could use the ProTec case more than me with no dolas to fit in it.
Good luck finding another ProTec or for that matter any dola case. Very difficult to find.
I was told a company based in England sells dola cases and that they also have a mail order outlet based some where in the midwest, USA. Can't remember the name but I do remember it started with the letter "H".
Hope you find a dola case of any kind. If you do let everyone know through the Cafe where as dola owners are frequently faced with your situation.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-27-2017, 3:03pm
Hobgoblin Music?

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/c/080/cases-for-instruments/

Pittsburgh Bill
Aug-27-2017, 4:06pm
Hobgoblin Music?

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/sales/c/080/cases-for-instruments/

That is it! Thank you

Jill McAuley
Aug-28-2017, 1:02pm
Ah, thanks for all the tips folks! I'll measure the Mid-Mo to see if one of the Hobgoblin cases might work. Also just sent an email off to Mike D. to check on whether he as any mandola cases for sale right now.

bratsche
Sep-01-2017, 11:37am
Some viola cases will work too, if you wanted to go the rectangular route. Some imports are inexpensive; there are also used ones on eBay occasionally. You'd probably want one for a 16.5 instrument, of the adjustable interior kind (i.e., not shaped like a viola on the inside, but just blocked with padded movable parts). I carried my MidMo mandola that way when I flew with it, even though both it and my Big Muddy came with their own cases. The rectangular shape let me pack a few more things inside with it, plus I felt it looked more "important". ;-)

bratsche

Jill McAuley
Sep-01-2017, 1:31pm
Another great tip - thanks! Now I have some options!