PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Political Correctness...

Robert Smyth
Aug-24-2017, 1:05am
I was wondering what folks might think about the song, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," in light of recent events. I'd just learned this song earlier this summer, having loved the melody for years before actually knowing what the words were (I'm hearing impaired so I'm always melody driven...lyrics are secondary). Now I'm wondering if this song should go the way of the Confederate statues. Any thoughts?

I sincerely hope this question doesn't offend anyone and apologies if anyone thinks I may be blind to my own racial insensitivities. Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated.

mrmando
Aug-24-2017, 2:20am
I personally don't find anything objectionable in that lyric.

All the good songs about the Civil War are written from the Southern point of view. I have a book full of songs written during the war, and the Northern songs are all hopelessly maudlin and contain about 18 verses.

I'll refrain from offering my own insightful, well-informed, impeccably logical, and unassailably reasonable opinion on recent controversies, because the Cafe is not the place for it, but I'll say it would be a shame if we feel that we have to put aside various ways of understanding history through the arts. Re-enactments won't be any fun if no one will put on a gray uniform. Singing a song written from a Confederate soldier's perspective might be a way of putting ourselves in his shoes for a few minutes. It doesn't mean we have to agree with everything he stood for or fought for, and anyway that song is about his personal sense of loss, not his politics.

Franc Homier Lieu
Aug-24-2017, 5:42am
Written by Robbie Robertson (a First Nations Canadian), recorded not only by the Band, but, among others, Joan Baez and Richie Havens, continually lauded as one of the great rock and roll songs of all time (e.g. by Rolling Stone and Pitchfork), I don't think anyone has ever objected to the content of the lyrics for the reasons you raise.

Ted Eschliman
Aug-24-2017, 5:53am
Apologies, but our Guidelines (https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/faq.php) are pretty clear. The Forum is not a place where we discuss politics. Plenty of other opportunities available throughout the internet to do this.