PDA

View Full Version : Something I never knew....or pickers that really

csstanley
Jun-22-2005, 3:18pm
I'm reading a book by Alexander Hislop that I think was written around 90 years ago called The Two Babylons.

Well on page 22 he is talking about something that happened years and years ago. Let me read ya what he says.

In some places in Egypt, for the song of Linus or Osiris (the same gods, just different cultures), a peculiar melody seems to have been used. A man by the name of Savary (can't find the actual full name, sorry) says that in the temple of Abydos, "the priest repeated the seven vowels in the form of hymns, and that musicians were forbid to enter it." Letters, pg. 566. Strabo whom Savary refers to, calls the god of that temple Memnon, but we learn from Wilkinson, that Osiris were different names of the same deity.......When Gregory the great introduced into the church of Rome what are now called Gregorian Chants, he got them from the...Roman Catholic Priest, Eustace, who admits these chants were largly composed of "Lydian and Phrygian tunes' Classical Tour, vol. I pg. 379.

Lydia and Phrygia being the chief seats in later times of those mysteries, of which the Egyptian mysteries were a branch.
___

This isn't written to tick any of you Catholic worshipers. I'm reading the book and found this and it involves music.

If you wanna debate how wrong the one or the other is, we can do that off board. Email me.

Thought it was interesting where Lydian and Phrygian came from. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif