PDA

View Full Version : MAS resurfaces.

red7flag
Aug-09-2017, 10:27am
For the first time in some time, MAS is stirring as I have been thinking about what neat tricks Bruce Weber could have up his sleeves. He has always put a very personal stamp on everything he did whether Flatiron or Weber. With Weber, he always had the best customer support one could imagine. The stories of Weber consistently going above and beyond the call of duty have been shared numerous time here at the Cafe. My first mandolin was a Bitterroot mahogany F style. At that time, my playing left a lot to be desired, but due to no fault of that great little instrument (I sold it thinking that I needed a more bluegrass oriented instrument, silly me). The next Weber I got was an Ancient Age (the original with the hundred year old fiddle wood)(I really regret selling that little beauty). Last was a Bitterroot Octar (Guitar shaped Octave Mandolin). I also loved that instrument and it led me to commission Andrew Mowry to make my GOM. Also, I really love the sweet happy tone that Sierra Hull and Dailey and Vincent get from their Webers So, with baited breath, I look forward to the innovative designs that Bruce will cook up. I do not anticipate being disappointed. In light of the rest of this thread, I should mention that I have no financial interest.;)

fatt-dad
Aug-09-2017, 10:39am
I'll be curious as well - not that I have MAS. . .

I love my Flatiron 1N. I used to love my A5-1 Flatiron - just a great mandolin.

Surprisingly, I can't recall ever playing a Weber.

f-d

William Smith
Aug-09-2017, 10:48am
I know I always have a case of MAS-I think its a sickness yet to be diagnosed:grin: Webers are fine! The only one I ever had was a brand new Weber Custom Elite in maybe 2007 I got from the mandolin store! The strange thing is they had a huge price tag on it and at the time I had a 1980 "I think" Gibson F5-L that was Wayne Bensons I believe, but was re-graduated years ago by "I can't remember" It was signed on the inside top by the luthier? I believe Dewey Farmer bought it new but wasn't happy with it so he had it re-graduated! I had an add here on the cafe and well must be Dennis Vance from the mando store really wanted it for someone cause we did an even swap! The Weber was great quality top notch mando but I ended up selling it for more than I wanted for the Gibson and I had some better F-5's "to me anyway" than the Elite! But that was a nice Elite, varnished,fancy everything, I bet now with age whoever has it has something they can be proud of! When I had it for just a short time it sounded pretty good but too new and well I'm a believer that age and playing help out instruments for sure, I've had enough of em over the years:cool:

Mark Wilson
Aug-09-2017, 10:53am
There were a couple F5 webers at a local jam and they both had a different sort of tone that I found meh. But the Big Horn at Lowes Vintage (http://www.lowevintage.com/products.php?id=362) is remarkable (to me) and then some. I've thought about going back just to play it again. If they can do that they will do fine

Eric C.
Aug-09-2017, 2:32pm
What's with all the Bruce Weber posts springing up this week? Wonder how long his non-compete contract was for if he's alegedly taking pre-orders?

George R. Lane
Aug-09-2017, 3:11pm
It is up in March 2018.

Eric C.
Aug-09-2017, 3:14pm
How is it legal for him to take pre-orders?

billhay4
Aug-09-2017, 5:05pm
How is it legal for him to take pre-orders?
We don't know what he can do and cannot do, nor is it any of our business, but I, too, have raised my eyebrows about all the Weber-related posts I am now seeing.
Bill