PDA

View Full Version : Chris Thiles 'Swollowtail Jig'

NickelCreeker
Jan-13-2004, 2:23pm
I recently got Chris Thiles Technique DVD and the song that really got me was 'Swallowtail Jig'. Ive been playing it scince the first time I watched the dvd! I was just curious if anyone wanted tabs for it let me know! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Strathspey
Jan-13-2004, 4:29pm
If find Thile's version interesting. The version that I'm familiar with has about the same first turn, but the second is quite different and more rhymically similar to the first since it is tailored a lot more to dancing. I wonder which second turn is most common?

Matt

mando bandage
Jan-13-2004, 6:16pm
I played Swallowtail Jig once while visiting some friends with Irish roots. Their six year old son spontaneously started dancing to it something that resembled a jig. Genetically encoded response, I guess.

Rob

camando
Jan-16-2004, 10:42am
Here is a link to a Cafe members site showing notation for this tune. http://www.cpmusic.com/tradgif/swallowt.gif
There is midi available also. It is a bare bones tune that you can dress up anyway you like. I have recommended this collection of tunes here before because of that very reason. It is a neat tune. Never heard Thile's version but I'm sure it cooks.

Chris in Canada

Strathspey
Jan-16-2004, 6:34pm
Camando . . .

That version is pretty close to what I'm familiar with . . . just a little more barebones. Thile's version has a second turn that break the rhythm and is sort of onomatopoeiaic . . . sort of link a bird's call. That is fine for listening, but not much for dancing.

The CBC released a recording called "Party Acadien" - a house party recorded at the home of Helen and Grady from Barachois. They have a great version on there by Anastasia Desroches - a fiddler of note around these parts.

Matt

camando
Jan-16-2004, 10:11pm
Matt

I think there is a similar version on Co-Mando but the second part is dressed up a little. How are you enjoying the weather on the east coast?

Chris in Canada

Strathspey
Jan-17-2004, 10:46am
Chris . . .

The weather is wonderful. Everyone is eagerly anticipating a dramatic bump in temperarure . . . - 25 C to a balmy -6 C!

Kirby161
Feb-14-2004, 5:23pm
that was the first song that i learned to play!
warms my heart.

Martin Jonas
Feb-25-2004, 5:54am
There are in fact two versions of Swallowtail Jig at Co-Mando: the one marked "TablEdited by Michael Herlihy" is exactly identical to the version on the Thile Techniques DVD, the other one is very nice but substantially different, although both are in G major.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Feb-25-2004, 7:58am
There are in fact two versions of Swallowtail Jig at Co-Mando: the one marked "TablEdited by Michael Herlihy" is exactly identical to the version on the Thile Techniques DVD, the other one is very nice but substantially different, although both are in G major.
Oops my mistake. The second one is actually the Swallow's Tail Reel, not Jig, and so naturally rather different.

Martin