PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide strap to endpin

bdjansen
Aug-04-2017, 3:47pm
I got a piece of rawhide to use as a strap. I'm going to use a hangmans noose knot to tie it under the fingerboard extension, but I'm wondering what knot to use to keep it secured to the endpin.

HonketyHank
Aug-04-2017, 3:54pm
I use the same noose-knot, then snug it up tight.

Bob A
Aug-04-2017, 4:05pm
Some folks introduce the leather through the endpin hole and tie a knot in it to keep it inside the instrument. This makes it tough to remove the strap, but eliminates the problem of splitting the endblock and rim of the mandolin should the endpin connection fail.

I lent a rather nice classical guitar to a friend, who would play it standing up with a strap. when the strap slipped off, the guitar virtually shattered, and was impossible to repair.

Endpins act as a splitting wedge, and a sharp blow can cause expensive damage.

Dave Martin
Aug-04-2017, 6:15pm
The leather into the end pin works well for me. Steve Smith show ed it to me and swears by it. No pickup jack though.

Br1ck
Aug-05-2017, 12:25pm
My Bailey strap, and others too, use a small leather disk as the slip part of the noose. It is simple and very slip proof when cinched up tight.

bdjansen
Aug-05-2017, 10:08pm
Thanks guys! I used the insert into the endpin hole idea and that worked great. I used an "Ashley" stopper knot that I found on Animated Knots .com. It was easy to set the length I wanted to have the strap at too. I held the mandolin where I wanted it, inserted the strap (that's already tied at the neck heal) into the endpin hole and marked the strap with a pen at that spot. Then pulled it through and tied the stopper knot where I marked it.

I never would have thought of the endpin hole idea on my own.