PDA

View Full Version : New Vessel February 18 1924 replica

testore
Aug-02-2017, 10:20pm
A few shots of the most recent product to come off of the bench. It is complete with Virzi, period fret wire and bridge.

Marty Jacobson
Aug-02-2017, 11:09pm
Epic!

sunburst
Aug-03-2017, 12:39am
If you've seen real 2-18-24 F5s, and you've really looked at them, then you have an idea just how accurate this is. For those who haven't, perhaps these pictures will be help you understand.
Real 2-18-14 to the left, Gary's replica to the right.

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 1:07am
....could we have a shot of the peghead? (not...) ;)

DataNick
Aug-03-2017, 2:10am
Gary,

As I've told you in person, you are a true artist Sir!

grassrootphilosopher
Aug-03-2017, 2:56am
Very nice, Gary!

Since you´re a picker too, could you post a video/soundbyte of the mando in question. You could do the Dawg thing to the peghead.

Also I don´t want to nitpick, but: Is the mando really that "glitzy" (shiny finish, that is) or is it just the photo? Let me elaborate. I have a 1937 D-28 recreation by some world class luthiers. The finish on that guitar is not shiny in th way I have seen the finish on other vintage guitar recreations.

William Smith
Aug-03-2017, 4:09am
GNARLY Gary! Simply Vicious! I wouldn't mind firing off a tune or two with that baby! + a verzi? Way Kool:cool:

Daniel Nestlerode
Aug-03-2017, 5:19am
Brilliant stuff GV!
I'd very much like a go at that beastie.

Still more than happy with my own 2006 Vessel F5. :)

William Smith
Aug-03-2017, 5:52am
Gary is a true craftsmen, His work is spectacular to say the least, I'd be proud to own that feb 18th clone even with the virzi I've always wanted a virzi,they do sound different and if they're done right they have a sound that I like! So many great mandolins but so little $! I think Gary's work is just as good as those expensive Distressed Gibson's! I'm really impressed and have been for quite sometime with his work ever since I seen that Monroe distressed copy he did years ago!-Way KOOL man-Wicked

Skip Kelley
Aug-03-2017, 8:09am
Gary, that is nothing short of amazing! I'd love to put a pick to that!

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 8:31am
I think Gary's work is just as good as those expensive Distressed Gibson's!

...that's pretty funny... ;)

Looking forward to seeing this mandolin in the next few days...
Will try not to scratch it...

William Smith
Aug-03-2017, 9:02am
...that's pretty funny... ;)

Looking forward to seeing this mandolin in the next few days...
Will try not to scratch it...

Really? I think his work is pretty darn good, maybe not exact Gibson but for something distressed I'm impressed. I'm sure Gary is quite a bit cheaper also, I see nothing wrong with his clone! I'd be proud to own it anyway!

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 9:26am
Really? I think his work is pretty darn good, maybe not exact Gibson....

More "exact Gibson" than Gibson, actually...

pheffernan
Aug-03-2017, 9:27am
Its as if you read my mind. Please don't read my bank account.

sunburst
Aug-03-2017, 9:38am
...I think Gary's work is just as good as those expensive Distressed Gibson's!...

Quite a bit better actually. Gary's "artificial aging" (mostly a collection of violin "antiquing" techniques, meticulously learned) are in another league compared to the work I've seen on distressed master models.

William Smith
Aug-03-2017, 9:38am
I guess I misunderstood Spruce. No Biggy, I just thought Gary's work is spectacular!

amowry
Aug-03-2017, 9:39am
Sweet!

DataNick
Aug-03-2017, 1:16pm
....could we have a shot of the peghead? (not...) ;)

Spruce,

Go to the Vessel Mandolins Facebook page...it's tastefully done as to be above controversy...

testore
Aug-03-2017, 1:24pm
Thanks for the kind words. The finish is not as shiny as it appears in the photos. I'll try to get a sound clip at some point. Here is a shot of the headstock

RichieK
Aug-03-2017, 2:24pm
This. Is. Just. Awesome.!

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 3:04pm
Thanks for the kind words. The finish is not as shiny as it appears in the photos. I'll try to get a sound clip at some point. Here is a shot of the headstock

Hi Mr. Beavers.... ;)

craigw
Aug-03-2017, 3:44pm
Right down to the dovetailed point protectors! Awesome!

grassrootphilosopher
Aug-03-2017, 4:09pm

That´s the way aha, aha, I like it...

Concerning the finish. Some like it glossy. The vintage look - to my mind - is not glossy. So evidently you´ve done good. I´m looking forward to a sound clip.

DataNick
Aug-03-2017, 4:13pm
Not that what Gibson produces in the Distressed MM line is suspect; on the contrary they make some really good mandolins that are pretty good Loar F5 replicas; but if Gibson wanted to make the best, authentic, imperceptible Loar era replica mandolin possible, they'd subcontract out to Gary, negotiate a price per model that he'd find acceptable and list them at $40K...they'd sell a boatload, and customers would be quite satisfied with a genuine Loar replica sold by Gibson!

William Smith
Aug-03-2017, 4:53pm
I love it Some of the best work I've seen:cool:

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 6:13pm
Not that what Gibson produces in the Distressed MM line is suspect; on the contrary they make some really good mandolins that are pretty good Loar F5 replicas; but if Gibson wanted to make the best, authentic, imperceptible Loar era replica mandolin possible, they'd subcontract out to Gary, negotiate a price per model that he'd find acceptable and list them at $40K...they'd sell a boatload, and customers would be quite satisfied with a genuine Loar replica sold by Gibson!

Well, Gibson kinda did that with the first few (1.2.3...?) DMMs, when they shipped them off to a violin maker who knew what he was doing when it came to antiquing, no?
They also interestingly didn't mention that they had done so...

Those first few DMMs killed the ones that came later...
I saw one at Wintergrass that I sure wish I had taken pictures of--weird bubbly anomalies in the finish that you would never see in nature, and wear patterns that looked like they had passed it around the office with a dull knife and said "go for it"...

It just ain't that easy to do...

DataNick
Aug-03-2017, 6:29pm
...It just ain't that easy to do...

Hence the need to have Gary do it...nuff said, yes?

Don Grieser
Aug-03-2017, 6:38pm
Nailed it, Gary!

testore
Aug-03-2017, 8:05pm
Few more

Spruce
Aug-03-2017, 8:44pm
Hence the need to have Gary do it...nuff said, yes?

Uhhh, he is... ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-04-2017, 1:28am
From Bluegrasser78 - "...Monroe distressed copy ....". I agree !. That was a sensational piece of craftsmanship - it really made my eyes light up. This new one's simply collosal !!!,
Ivan:disbelief:

William Smith
Aug-04-2017, 5:47am
From Bluegrasser78 - "...Monroe distressed copy ....". I agree !. That was a sensational piece of craftsmanship - it really made my eyes light up. This new one's simply collosal !!!,
Ivan:disbelief:

I hear ya this one with the virzi gives me serious wood "to dream about";)

Spruce
Aug-04-2017, 8:23am
Gary and I are going to do a Virziectomy on it Sunday, and record the whole thing for posterity...
That's how you create authentic wear around the F-holes and endpin... ;)

Jeff Mando
Aug-04-2017, 9:16am
Great work!

William Smith
Aug-04-2017, 9:21am
Gary and I are going to do a Virziectomy on it Sunday, and record the whole thing for posterity...

Boy I sure hope not, removing the virzi would be a bummer:(

Steve Sorensen
Aug-04-2017, 10:38am

Bruce wins the internet today!

(Best tone comes when Virzi is removed at 2:00 in the morning with a screw driver and old coat hanger wire.)

Steve

mtucker
Aug-04-2017, 6:32pm
don't stop!

Spruce
Aug-06-2017, 11:37pm
Since you´re a picker too, could you post a video/soundbyte of the mando in question.

OK, I had a chance to visit with Gary today, and play Gary's Loar copy...what a fun day...
I recorded a little interview with him, where we had a chance to discuss the process of copying an iconic mandolin...
There's a sound clip of the mandolin, but the laptop mics show their limitations...you still can get the idea.
A killer sounding mandolin...woof.

...and I think you might get a kick out of our version of Mike Marshall and Todd Phillip's "The Virzexorcism" tape...enjoy...

Here 'tis (http://www.radiofreeolga.com/an-interview-with-luthier.html)...

sgarrity
Aug-07-2017, 12:27am
Y'all are having way too much fun. I love it!!! :))

RichieK
Aug-07-2017, 12:32am
Hysterical...Reminded me of Firesign Theatre.

Spruce
Aug-07-2017, 12:38am
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/36372750276_0f939f1c92_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xq8Rs5)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4417/36417771805_1ee18d4e28_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xu7AMk)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4408/36249597662_1180642928_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XefEt9)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4408/36021271920_22a4360f9d_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WT5rbq)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4405/36417767575_bae1d9547b_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Xu7zwp)

Mark Seale
Aug-07-2017, 1:11am
A few shots of the most recent product to come off of the bench. It is complete with Virzi, period fret wire and bridge.

Incredible work!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Gibson kinda did that with the first few (1.2.3...?) DMMs, when they shipped them off to a violin maker who knew what he was doing when it came to antiquing, no?
They also interestingly didn't mention that they had done so...

Those first few DMMs killed the ones that came later...
I saw one at Wintergrass that I sure wish I had taken pictures of--weird bubbly anomalies in the finish that you would never see in nature, and wear patterns that looked like they had passed it around the office with a dull knife and said "go for it"...

It just ain't that easy to do...

I've got a fiddle by that guy. It's a monster, as is most anything he touches.

grassrootphilosopher
Aug-07-2017, 5:06am
OK, I had a chance to visit with Gary today, and play Gary's Loar copy...what a fun day...
I recorded a little interview with him, where we had a chance to discuss the process of copying an iconic mandolin...
There's a sound clip of the mandolin, but the laptop mics show their limitations...you still can get the idea.
A killer sounding mandolin...woof.

...and I think you might get a kick out of our version of Mike Marshall and Todd Phillip's "The Virzexorcism" tape...enjoy...

Here 'tis (http://www.radiofreeolga.com/an-interview-with-luthier.html)...

It was fun listening to the "interview"!

William Smith
Aug-07-2017, 6:07am
Wow I would've left the virzi in after already the work putting it in:disbelief: I can't afford it anyway but still :cool:

Spruce
Aug-07-2017, 7:56am
Wow I would've left the virzi in after already the work putting it in:disbelief: I can't afford it anyway but still :cool:

...but did you hear the way the mandolin sounded after the Virzectomy? ;)

William Smith
Aug-07-2017, 8:23am
...but did you hear the way the mandolin sounded after the Virzectomy? ;)

Well to be honest with the virzi, I think it sounded great after the removal of the virzi what I heard was just chinese and terrible, is there a recording I'm not seeing/hearing? thats also posted? I think it was a mistake taking it out:disbelief:

Spruce
Aug-07-2017, 8:32am
Well to be honest with the virzi, I think it sounded great after the removal of the virzi what I heard was just chinese and terrible, is there a recording I'm not seeing/hearing? thats also posted? I think it was a mistake taking it out:disbelief:

It just needs to open up a bit...

William Smith
Aug-07-2017, 8:49am
Yeh once she's played in I'm sure it'll be louder, but I think out of the gate with the virzi it was already there. In my opinion anyway,as we all know we all have different perceptions of what we like in sound and voice in a mandolin well any instrument for that matter.

William Smith
Aug-07-2017, 9:31am
Personally I think you guys were joking and left the virzi in! LOL The chinese sounds were impressive-ha

sgarrity
Aug-07-2017, 9:40am
Gary, are you bringing that down to Summergrass?

testore
Aug-07-2017, 10:44am
Shaun, I won't be able to make it down there. I have too many conflicts here to get away.

Spruce
Aug-07-2017, 10:47pm
Hysterical...Reminded me of Firesign Theatre.

High praise... ;)

V70416
Aug-08-2017, 2:37pm
Who's the violin maker you referred to?

mandobassman
Aug-08-2017, 2:53pm
This. Is. Just. Awesome.!

I remember yours Richie. I was a beauty!!

Mark Seale
Aug-08-2017, 4:52pm
Who's the violin maker you referred to?

Jon Cooper in Portland, ME