PDA

View Full Version : Strugglin' wtih Sally

harwilli55
Mar-09-2004, 12:18pm
I don't know if I am the only one who is learning slowly, but thought there might need to be a place for those of us who are practicing and need a place to post about those struggles.

I am just barely getting the A section of Sally under somewhat of a semblance of control, ok, more out of control, than in. Anyone else in the same boat, or am I the slowest of the lot? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Hopefully sometime this week, I can work on the B section. My fingers have unamiously decided to vote against attempting the double stops which coincides with the complaints lodged by my ears(both of them BTW).

I have yet to even worry about the recording part as I have yet to completely work through the tune. And you thought you were slow........ http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Anyways, I am learning and that is what I feel best about. So I am wondering if we can have a contest for the slowest rendition of Sally Goodin. Whaddya think Craig.

I would like to hear from others who are strugglin too.

Harlan

Dedian
Mar-09-2004, 1:13pm
"Anyways, I am learning and that is what I feel best about. So I am wondering if we can have a contest for the slowest rendition of Sally Goodin. Whaddya think Craig."

That reminds me of a news article a long time ago about the lowest note ever recorded in the universe, which cycled something like every 53 hours... (cbc link: http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/09/black_hole030909)

But! You're not alone! It took me forever to get past the slowest I thought I was capable of, and I still don't know all of the second part. There is hope! It's just that there's a lot of dilligence involved http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Stu

John Zimm
Mar-09-2004, 4:13pm
I was having problems with the section with the notes up the neck, until I realized that I could plant my first finger on the A note on the fifth fret and use that as a guide for the rest of the passage.

I think the best way to learn is to play the song as slowly as necessary to begin with until you can play it all the way through. Then work up to speed. This way you train your fingers where to go, and speed should come more naturally than if you just try to play it up to speed right away.

For the record, I have not yet learned the whole song and I am probably several days away from recording it. I want to make up some variations of my own to play on the repeats, and that will take some time.

-John.

Nik-chick
Mar-09-2004, 5:29pm
I think I may wind up having to store my own file instead of asking Craig to. Looks like it's gonna be 10 min long of section A! *j/k* I'm exagerating...alittle. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

OzArkie
Mar-09-2004, 8:53pm
In another thread, Dan said...
"... it gets way too complicated, way too fast. #Keep it simple, and the beginners will appreciate the original motive of the thread."

How true.

Aside from unknown terminology ("positions", "double stops", "A part/B part", etc...), this is still pretty tuff beginner's stuff in my opinion.

Now that said, I have learned more than I expected and in particular from Benignus - he sent me a link to just the mando part of his song and that was very informative... my hearing refuses to sort out of all the multiple stuff going on.

I reckon the time needed for me to get Sally up and going (at even a novice speed) may take about 2-3 months, not one!

And the slowest that darn TefView program will play the tune is at about 50 bpm and that's still pretty fast for my beginner skill level.

No point on me voting for an April tune, I'll be hangin in here with Sally for a while yet - maybe I won't be alone?

harwilli55
Mar-09-2004, 10:01pm
Hang in there Ozarkie,

I just spent two hours on the A part and am finally starting to at least play without stopping every 5 notes......I stop every 5 1/2 notes now....is that progress or what.........lolol.....glad to have company.........the fun is in the learning.

Nik-chick....I just got this feeling that your're doing fine and that your posting will be great.

Harlan

Harlan

harwilli55
Mar-09-2004, 10:04pm
Forgot to say to ya Stu,....I believe I can beat that lowest note by at least a full minute:p

Seeing as how you're at a section I haven't even looked at yet, yer a fur piece ahead of me. Thanks for the post though......I look forward to hearing your post too.

Harlan

Coy Wylie
Mar-10-2004, 9:47am
And the slowest that darn TefView program will play the tune is at about 50 bpm and that's still pretty fast for my beginner skill level.
Download the demo version of tabledit and you can slow it down as slow as you want.

Thomas
Mar-10-2004, 10:00am
Struggling with Sally? I can't find which tefview version we're supposed to be using, despite wading through page after page in 3 discussion topics. The link for it on the Mandolin Project page doesn't work. Is it one of the choices at comando and if so, which version? Thanks.

craig
Mar-10-2004, 10:27am
Thomas,

go back to the Mandolin Project page and right click on the link and save it to your computer. then you'll be able to open it. sorry, i should have indicated that on the page. i'll go do that now . . .

craig

Thomas
Mar-10-2004, 5:28pm
Got it. Thanks.

harwilli55
Mar-11-2004, 10:07am
Yehaaaaaaaa, after about 5 hours of practice yesterday, finally getting the A part and starting to get the B part.......Struggling is paying off as they say and the learning is commenced!!!!

Harlan

John Zimm
Mar-11-2004, 2:30pm
Yehaaaaaaaa, after about 5 hours of practice yesterday, finally getting the A part and starting to get the B part.......Struggling is paying off as they say and the learning is commenced!!!!
It is great when that happens. I have found that the more I struggle with something the more I get out of it when I have worked through it.

-John.

Bluegrasstjej
Mar-14-2004, 5:54pm
Hang in there!!!